Good Citizen

Default Cabler routing: The phone style jacks seem huge- can they be clipped & recrimped?

Thinking of a AL Priority.

I see the head cables going into the control unit are huge. Might be hard to route through tiny spaces.

Has anyone ever clipped the connector & re-crimped using appropriate tools? Finding a way through the ever tougher to penetrate firewalls is difficult.

Thanks

Administrator

Default Re: Cabler routing: The phone style jacks seem huge- can they be clipped & recrimped?

Just run 1 at a time through. Also recommend putting some tape over them to protect them
    As far as clipping them, unless you know how and have the proper tools wouldn't recommend it
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Good Citizen

Default Re: Cabler routing: The phone style jacks seem huge- can they be clipped & recrimped?

Quote Originally Posted by Radar Roy View Post
    Just run 1 at a time through. Also recommend putting some tape over them to protect them
    As far as clipping them, unless you know how and have the proper tools wouldn't recommend it
    Thanks, I have done all the above with an LI. Sometimes taping to a 3' long zip tie was a good way to fish cables through. In smaller cars, like my BMW, there are very few access points and what I found were tiny. Seems car makers are making it ever harder to do anything. BMW is among the worst.

I did clip the LI with success, but it was harder due to the cable being round instead of flat. A pro grade crimping tool made it easier, but it is fussy and not something I'd care to do again. Took a few practice runs to get it right & the wires in correct order.

My wife has a new car coming in. I'll await delivery to see what I have to work with. It's a 2016 Subaru Outback 6 cylinder.