PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Covers/Veil

S4
06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I have seen a couple of pictures of plates with VEIL and they just look wrong. I think a LEO could give you some problems if they see that the plate is "modified". My question would be as following: I live in Wisconsin, and I dont think there is a law against plate covers here. How would the police in states where the plate covers are illegal react to me having a laser shield on my front plate?

My next question would be where I should apply the VEIL? Can you see the VEIL after its applied on my head lights? I have seen the LIDAR videos, and I dont want my head lights to look black. I like the S4 because its anonymous, and I would like to keep it like that. I dont want any attention on my headlights or lisence plates.

I just bought a V1 detector, and I am considering some blinders, and VEIL. I have seen all the movies that I can find regarding these products and I have become a believer. I have seen a couple of S4 videos with the setup that I want, but the difference is that I have a plate in the front. I expect the difference to be huge with the plates on, so I want to get a setup that is as effective that it possible can get. I will appriciate any feedback to get my car as laser/radar safe as possible. I just got my third ticket this year and 11 out of 12 points does not look good at all. I dont even want to think about whats going to happen to my insurance now. I know that Im a NooB but I will hang around here as long as there is activity and something to learn. I dont want more tickets and if you guys can help me staying one step ahead of the police.. Im all in.

NiwPix
06-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Your absolutly right about that veiling the plates is wrong.
I just found out a few minutes ago, as i just wanted to put a thin layer of veil on the plates....now I'm thinking of an excuse why my plates are so dirty when i get pulled over :(

S4
06-25-2006, 06:29 PM
yeah thats what Im worried about. I dont know how VEIL works on my Xenon lights either. I just dont want to mess things up because its too darn expensive to fix.

Arashi666
06-25-2006, 06:35 PM
yeah thats what Im worried about. I dont know how VEIL works on my Xenon lights either. I just dont want to mess things up because its too darn expensive to fix.

Veil wont mess them up if you dont like it there you can get a cloth soaked in some rubbing alcohol and it just wipes right off with a little elbow grease(trust me ive had to take 1 off and reapply another coat after i f'ed up the 1st one) but ive heard that veil just outright murders the light output on Xenon HIDs.... or just any projector type HL units (dont ask me why or how) it also dimms reflector type lights as well but not as much as those other types

S4
06-25-2006, 07:09 PM
so veil would dim the light a lot? or nothing at all?

Arashi666
06-25-2006, 10:12 PM
there will still be light going through obviously, but ive heard that it RREALLY dims it, a common solution to that is to veil it and then later turn the lights on and kinda remove the veil from where the outline of the light is trying to get out..... albeit that is quite ugly, its the best protection without losing your visibility.... like my brothers 2000 Celica, we veiled all the light housing except for the projector and if you know this particular gen of ceica had a bubble so it was easily avoided and still looks decent..... ive never seen it in the way i was saying before though... that and im not too familiar with the lighting layout of your S4 (or any Audi for that matter :( )

S4
06-25-2006, 11:45 PM
oh no. The good head lights is one of the things that I really like about xenon. Would this be obvious to any LEO so that I can pulled over just because the light is dimmed?

Arashi666
06-26-2006, 12:02 AM
obvious to you---> obvious to everyone else

just go ahead and maybe do the removing veil around the projector thing i mentioned earlier that should help the light while keeping you well defended.......... but probably wont be the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever

jackenloper
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I just posted this at another thread, but it applies here too.

The simplest solution to that is to take your plates to kinko's. Tell them you are doing a project for school and have them make you a color copy of your current plates on non-glossy paper. Take this copy, laminate it with plastic right there in kinko's.

Buy a cheap transparent plastic plate cover from walmart. Put the laminate copy between the plastic plate cover and mount it on your car. You won't be able to tell the difference and the retroreflective surface will be eliminated. You can also veil the plate cover if you are paranoid like me.

I had the plate like this for more than a year and its still the same.

Arashi666
06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I just posted this at another thread, but it applies here too.

The simplest solution to that is to take your plates to kinko's. Tell them you are doing a project for school and have them make you a color copy of your current plates on non-glossy paper. Take this copy, laminate it with plastic right there in kinko's.

Buy a cheap transparent plastic plate cover from walmart. Put the laminate copy between the plastic plate cover and mount it on your car. You won't be able to tell the difference and the retroreflective surface will be eliminated. You can also veil the plate cover if you are paranoid like me.

I had the plate like this for more than a year and its still the same.

I wont ask to the legality of that......... but does it really pass off as real?

jackenloper
06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Yes, incredibly, nobody has noticed. Heck, if I look at it myself, i cannot tell unless i am about 6 inches away. Kinko's rocks!

Arashi666
06-26-2006, 10:16 PM
cool its off to kinkos for me tomorrow then..... i guess ill just swap in the original for annual state inspection

holein1
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
cool its off to kinkos for me tomorrow then..... i guess ill just swap in the original for annual state inspection

Just get a laser shield! :lol: popo's notice that stuff, if you get caught it's ticket time!

Arashi666
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Just get a laser shield! :lol: popo's notice that stuff, if you get caught it's ticket time!

unfortunately I do agree with you more (no refections from headlights at night......dead giveaway :( ) so i guess it stays ........or I pop it off again

S4
06-27-2006, 07:28 AM
My only worry about the plate would be that what you are doing could be considered very illegal since you are messing with official documentation. Could a LEO arrest you for having fake plates? Because thats what they are. Even if they say the right thing.

jackenloper
06-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Here is a small solution to your problem.
holein1 also has a good point if your state is really really uptight about license plates.

First off. Do not do this to the license plate on the back of your vehicle. That one has to stay legit. Its the most important one. The front one is the one that people take off in some states.

If you are a bit paranoid (which is understandable if your state has a tough law on this.), use the kinko's laminated plate and put it over the original plate and screw them both in.

If a cop stops you and does manage to notice the plates. Say "I like to keep my car clean, this keeps my original plates in good condition."

Then again, I am just proposing a cheap method over lasersheild. Lasersheild is a great alternative to use as well.

As far as getting arrested for having a copy... I have no idea about that.

jackenloper
06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I just wanted to post of foto of the whole kinko's license plate thing.

Original back plate (unchanged due to laws):
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/jackenloper/2.jpg

Front plate. With 1 year bra, veil on headlight and veil on the plate cover. (not the best veil job on the front plate cover). But the plate is a photocopy that has aged since its been there for 1 year. Its laminated thanks to kinko's.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/jackenloper/4.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/jackenloper/3.jpg[/img]

Arashi666
06-27-2006, 10:00 PM
that actually looks like a semi-good copy.... if it was new it'd look pretty good

03Maxima
06-30-2006, 09:43 PM
as far as i know, wisconsin requires the original plate on the front of the car, which is why we can't just get away with the plastic insert or not drilling into the bumper. This is also probably why the state put the holograms on the plates in between the numbers, if they catch you with a fake license plate on the front of the car, your probably toast (at least in wisconsin). I once had a slightly darker license plate cover on the car and that was enough for a ticket, because it "made it harder to see the front license plate".

S4
06-30-2006, 10:18 PM
as far as i know, wisconsin requires the original plate on the front of the car, which is why we can't just get away with the plastic insert or not drilling into the bumper. This is also probably why the state put the holograms on the plates in between the numbers, if they catch you with a fake license plate on the front of the car, your probably toast (at least in wisconsin). I once had a slightly darker license plate cover on the car and that was enough for a ticket, because it "made it harder to see the front license plate".

yeah but then again. I have a friend of mine that drove without the plate forever without anybody bothering him. If I am going to get rid of the plate, I need to replace the plastic part where the screws are now, so that it looks like there never has been any plates there at all. Leaving the bumper with two enormous holes is not a good option.

Arashi666
07-01-2006, 08:27 PM

yeah but then again. I have a friend of mine that drove without the plate forever without anybody bothering him. If I am going to get rid of the plate, I need to replace the plastic part where the screws are now, so that it looks like there never has been any plates there at all. Leaving the bumper with two enormous holes is not a good option.

see thats what I like about my bumper, theres a piece that the plate is screwed onto and that piece is bolted onto brackets clipped on UNDERNEATH the part that sticks out farthest on the bumper, on top of the hole under the grill (where fog lights, go and where you can see the radiatio...or Intercooler for those forced induction cars) (I know this description is F'ed up but bear with me) so basically, if I remove the bolts, and unclip the brackets theres no sign that there was ever a plate there (no big holes on the bumper)..............................but that doesnt change the fact that theyre still required here in Texas (Which SUX), and i think texas plates have that hologrammy layer too, so i think that could pose a problem

S4
07-01-2006, 09:05 PM
True, but if you just go for it and act like an idiot if the cops pulls you over, and just say that you are going to fix it as soon as possible. Then you might get of with a warning, and all the tickets you save in the mean time is just a bonus before you put the plate back on. If nobody says anything about it.. Well. Good! I just need to figure out how much its going to cost me to get that part for my front fender.

Arashi666
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM
True, but if you just go for it and act like an idiot if the cops pulls you over, and just say that you are going to fix it as soon as possible. Then you might get of with a warning, and all the tickets you save in the mean time is just a bonus before you put the plate back on. If nobody says anything about it.. Well. Good! I just need to figure out how much its going to cost me to get that part for my front fender.

even funnier thing.... earlier I put it back on, and in the garage I saw the thing hanging on by 1 bracket, and shortly after the other one went off too...... so I think its really off for good.... the bumper has scraped against one too many curbs and those concrete things blocking parking spots