PDA

View Full Version : Bad Veil application

SpaceEntity
08-05-2006, 08:46 AM
I just applied Veil to my Honda Pilot and it turned out really bad. I did the lens cleaning several times and let it dry.

I think that the main problem was the Florida heat here. I applied it late in the evening, just a few minutes before it got dark, but enough light to see what I was doing.

I started at the top and let gravity do the work, but I developed major streaks in it. It even looks worst in the morning.

It was probably in the low to mid 80's here (about the same in the mornings also).

Is there a way to take this stuff off without damaging the clear lens covers so that I can try it again when it gets cooler?

Slower Joe
08-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I just applied Veil to my Honda Pilot and it turned out really bad. I did the lens cleaning several times and let it dry.

I think that the main problem was the Florida heat here. I applied it late in the evening, just a few minutes before it got dark, but enough light to see what I was doing.

I started at the top and let gravity do the work, but I developed major streaks in it. It even looks worst in the morning.

It was probably in the low to mid 80's here (about the same in the mornings also).

Is there a way to take this stuff off without damaging the clear lens covers so that I can try it again when it gets cooler?

Removal is in the directions that came with it.

I had the same problem, but I know my mistake now. I don't think I'll bother to take it off and re-apply. That stuff is too expensive, and as bad as my streaks are, it is only really noticable to me because I am the one always looking.

However, when I finally DO re-apply, I now know to brush on as few times as possible (with a heavier amount of VEIL) and let gravity "smooth it out". I wish this was made more clear in the directions. You listening, VEIL Guy? :lol:

Slower Joe
08-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Pictures of my crappy streaky VEIL job:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=14873&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Pictures of Gregor's fantastic VEIL job:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=14897&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Veil Guy
08-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Always.

VG 8)

SpaceEntity
08-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, I think that 2 of my biggest mistakes were:
1) outside temperature was to hot causing it to dry faster
2) going back over it several times while it was still wet to try to smooth out the thicker "darker" streaks. That just made the "streaking" worst!

My job does look worst than yours, my wife hates the way it looks on her RAV4 and wants it off! The trouble is, she is the one that always gets the speeding tickets, not me. So I got this mostly for her benefit.

SpaceEntity
08-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I was able to get it off both SUV's using both Ammonia and/or rubbing alcohol. Took about 5 minutes per headlamp to get it off.

I am going to have to find a way to practice putting it on without wasting it.

SpaceEntity
08-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Got up early this morning while it was slightly cooler here in the Florida heat and attempted to redo the Veil coating on my Honda Pilot.

Well, the 3 inch foam brush from Home Depot really made a difference (had to cut about 1/2 off of it to fit into the Veil bottle though, a 2 1/2 inch brush would have been better, but didn't see them at Home Depot).

The Veil went on real smooth this time with little or no runs or streaking. I think that the quality of the Home Depot brush really made the difference and maybe being slightly cooler outside by 5 degrees (from about 77 degrees vs. ~ 82 degrees).

Veil should think about getting a better 2 1/2 inch foam brush to ship with their product. I think that it would solve a lot of problems for some of use applying it for the first time.