PDA

View Full Version : Question about veil

DogGod
10-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I am thinking about getting Veil fairly soon, the only problem is that it is now fall here and temps are dropping very fast. Im afraid that when it do get it, it will be to cold outside to let it properly dry. I was wondering if I could take the lenses out of my car put the Veil on and put just the lenses in the oven at about 100 degrees, it shouldnt melt the plastic. Would this work, or is an oven not the right type of heat, or too much?

MikeUCM
10-10-2006, 10:21 PM
do what you said, but use a hairdryer. I did that, use hot heat, then cold, then hot, then cold. turns out really good

cooljay
10-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes use a hair dryer. Much better and safer ;)

DogGod
10-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Alright, on the highest heat? I was thinking that I would take the headlights and the turn signals out of the car to do this, so I can get a better angle, and wouldnt have to worry about getting it on my paint.

cooljay
10-11-2006, 04:11 PM
You can use high heat but just keep an eye on it. Just do a sweeping montion on down the lenses. Shouldn't be a problem though. If it starts to get too hot just put it on medium/low heat and go from there. The only thing I hate about living down south, it's still warm here even at night :roll:

DogGod
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
You can use high heat but just keep an eye on it. Just do a sweeping montion on down the lenses. Shouldn't be a problem though. If it starts to get too hot just put it on medium/low heat and go from there. The only thing I hate about living down south, it's still warm here even at night :roll:

Awwww. It freaking snowed today :evil: .

Do you know how long it will take to fully dry with a hair dryer?

cooljay
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Nope, haven't had a chance to veil mine yet but I'm guessing with it on high heat and the fact that it's also blowing air on it, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes depending on how heavy the coat you put on it.

I miss the snow :( I loved living in western NC in the mountains with the nice cool weather...

MikeUCM
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
it took me about 5-10min doing my CA license plate......As only about 3-5min veiling my black Cr8aPl8 ----> add about 5min more drying time per light.

richardboy316
10-11-2006, 07:19 PM
you veiled your license plate?

Stealthcb
10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
The only problem I see with this--and this comes from years of building plastic models and painting them--is that when you dry something like that with a blow dryer, the SURFACE of the paint/substance can dry before the base of the paint/substance. This can result in the base drying later and cracking, wrinkling, or otherwise marring the surface.

MikeUCM
10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
When I veiled the license plate, I made sure not to use extreme heat on it. I tried it as much as I can with cold air, then about 1 min on low heat. Let it stand for a while.....So far, it looks ok

richardboy316
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
when you veil the license plate...doesnt it get darker?