PDA

View Full Version : SPEED VIOLATION using Licence Plate Recognition

anjoem
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
They are implementing a test phase here in SA using this LPR technology.

http://www.i-cube.co.za/AVERAGE%20SPEED%20VIOLATION.html

Basically this system captures an image on your licence plate at location A, then captures another image at location B, then using LPR tech it determines the time you were at A and then B, uses the diff in time and the distance between A and B to calculate your average speed. A fine is then automatically issued.

How would one countermeasure this? Are these systems using laser as well... or are they purely based on image capture?

Where else in the world are they using this LPR? and how accurate is it?

Please people... need input here... :)

thestaton
10-31-2006, 04:51 AM
I would recommend a led based license plate cover. basically once you learn where point a / b are you can flip a switch and it will black out your plate.

or you could do it simple - and just rig up a string to your plate so that you can flip it down as you go through.

charles charlie charles
10-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Over here in the UK we've had something called SPECS for many years

http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/

which utilises the same premise as the one you mention above.

However, there has been a bit of a fuss kicked up over the fact it is only "Approved" for single lane traffic. It is heavily used here for roadworks to enforce the usual 50mph limit and since it averages your speed over the whole distance of the roadworks it prevents the usual hard braking near Gatsos.

It now appears that many motorists in the UK could have gotten off their fines/points by the fact they would have changed lanes and as such messed up the calculations of the software.

Personally I just hope it sticks to what it should be used for i.e. preventing roadworkers from being endangered by speeding idiots.

However, I don't fancy this being introduced on most roads as it has been in Nottingham, UK on their Ring Road

Other than an obstructive cover for your plate, there is only one answer.....slow down!

anjoem
10-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I am led to believe this device will work against all lanes... similair to the LPR units used in Italy...

SmaartAasSaabr
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
A license plate cover is very useful, you could get one made out of that privacy glass that goes opaque when electricity is applied :twisted:

How visible are they? Average distance between points?

Are they mobile or fixed? If fixed a GPS unit could take care of them nicely.

anjoem
11-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I am not too sure, i havent seen any in Johanessburg.... but it has been setup for testing on the way to Durban... thats the problem... i hardly travel to Durban.

I'll see what info i can get... what i do know is that they are usually set a short distance apart (1-5km).

JTW
11-01-2006, 01:30 AM
You guys are missing a big point though. How would you know when to black out your plate? If you can't detect the passive technology then you won't know when to countermeasure it.

Carlos from Spain
11-01-2006, 04:07 AM
LPR speed cameras require fixed installation, therefore can be localised and alerted off via GPS warning systems, as such happens with the SPECS in UK.

They can alert you when you pass the first camera and enter a controled strech of road, and alert you when you leave behind the last camera.

The Stinger DSI will even keep record of your average speed withing the controled strech, and will alert you if at any time your average speed is over the limit (LPR controls avearge speed betwwen two cameras) so that you can maximise your speed through the controled roadway.

You can achive this via speed camera GPS warning systems which should have the LPR cameras of the couuntry of purchase in their database, via introducing the locations of the LPR cameras as POI's in the car's onboard navigation system, in a standalone navigator, or in a PDA or smartphone with a bluetooh GPS and navigation software.

Curiously, it has been found that some LPR systems are prone to error if their is a similarly colored sticker on the edge of the licence plate that causes it not to recognise the plate well becuase it interprets the sticker a part of the plate and confuses it. But this depends on the system and has only been done with LPR systems in parking garages that have them. The others may be diffrent.

JTW
11-01-2006, 04:42 AM
LPR speed cameras require fixed installation, therefore can be localised and alerted off via GPS warning systems, as such happens with the SPECS in UK.

They can alert you when you pass the first camera and enter a controled strech of road, and alert you when you leave behind the last camera.

The Stinger DSI will even keep record of your average speed withing the controled strech, and will alert you if at any time your average speed is over the limit (LPR controls avearge speed betwwen two cameras) so that you can maximise your speed through the controled roadway.

You can achive this via speed camera GPS warning systems which should have the LPR cameras of the couuntry of purchase in their database, via introducing the locations of the LPR cameras as POI's in the car's onboard navigation system, in a standalone navigator, or in a PDA or smartphone with a bluetooh GPS and navigation software.

Curiously, it has been found that some LPR systems are prone to error if their is a similarly colored sticker on the edge of the licence plate that causes it not to recognise the plate well becuase it interprets the sticker a part of the plate and confuses it. But this depends on the system and has only been done with LPR systems in parking garages that have them. The others may be diffrent.

Yes, but have you heard of the prototype LPR systems that read your speed from moving police cars? Someone posted a news article on it a long time ago. Some university developed it and it's been tested already :-(

It's going to be a sad day when this comes out.

JTW

Carlos from Spain
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
You mean this? http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050411/speed.html
Indeed, if it comes out that would be serious problem, I can't see how it could be detected or interfered with either.

So far the only "moving" LPR systems are those that are installed in police cars used to capture the licence plate digits automatically of cars that are in front of the the police car, and automatically run the number plates through the police database for any pending warrants or infractions. An example is the Provida ANPR that the UK police uses. But fortunately have nothing to do with speed detection via LPR.

JTW
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
You mean this? http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050411/speed.html
Indeed, if it comes out that would be serious problem, I can't see how it could be detected or interfered with either.

So far the only "moving" LPR systems are those that are installed in police cars used to capture the licence plate digits automatically of cars that are in front of the the police car, and automatically run the number plates through the police database for any pending warrants or infractions. An example is the Provida ANPR that the UK police uses. But fortunately have nothing to do with speed detection via LPR.

I'm glad someone knows alot about this technology. Thanks Carlos.

venexoz
11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Ohh man, It had to be my university. Damn they really love giving tickets.

polakatl
11-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I saw a fifth gear episode with the plate recognition inside a police car. Like stated above as the cops drove around the system recognized plate numbers and ran them. For the show it worked great. A good way to catch uninsured motorist and other problematic cars.

Carlos from Spain
11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
We have something worse here in Spain.

Our gobverment has just installed a radar in one of their traffic helicopters. Its actually a optronic girostabilised torret with several videocamaras, it can adquire a moving target with and follow it automatically, with its resolution, stabilisation and definition it can pick a lisecence plate from very far away no matter the lighting and worst of all with a sophisticated GEO-tracking system derived from military missile tacking systems it adquire its exact speed and heading.

Only uses adquisition of image, no radar or laser, so its undetectable, and flying over your head.

Its still not approved for use in speed traffic violation (this system is normaly used by the military) but their are getting the paperwork done and already have it installed in one of their helicopters, the price for one unit was 280,000 Euros.