PDA

View Full Version : Veil and a shiny waxed car.

AlexRuiz
11-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi there. Another newbie bites the dust and joins the community ;)

I am amazed by how much good information the forums contain, and I am learning a lot. But let's get into topic. Laser is used often at the city where I work (Warren, MI). The more I read, the more I learn about wanting our cars to not be reflective to help with laser. This is ironic, as I come from a forum where in fact the objective is to have the shiniest cars on the block (autopia.org) Now I am a torn between having the best shine with the best laser protection posible.

I assume a shiny well waxed car, even in dark color will help the LEO in their laser readings as the wax will reflect more light, even the near IR or so 904 nm wavelength that the lidar guns use.

Is my assumption that a shiny car will reflect laser better correct? Can I wax veil? Should I apply veil to all of the front bumper?

Thanks

Alex

go.mouse
11-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the board alex.

No you should not try to veil the whole bumper. Veil is made for headlight application. Honestly, getting an active laser jammer is the way to go.

Can I wax veil? Should I apply veil to all of the front bumper?

holein1
11-24-2006, 11:11 AM
What do you drive and whats the color, you could always add a bra or jammer!

TSi+WRX
11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Tagging-on a follow-up question to this one. :oops: :) I hope the OP doesn't mind. :)

Although I understand that it is not recommended to VEIL painted surfaces, I was reading through the Cannonball 2005 article:

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/cannonball-2005/cannonball-radar-detectors.asp

- and noticed that the sponsored "Team Catalyst" did VEIL the rather large chrome grill of their Dodge Magnum.

Has anyone here done this to their vehicles as well?

How did it turn out? Did the VEIL "stick" to the chrome acceptably?

How about cosmetically? Was it just messy/dirty looking, or did it look OK? If it was "streaky," would I be better off just refinishing the chrome areas of my grill with, say, a flat-black finish?

holein1
11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Tagging-on a follow-up question to this one. :oops: :) I hope the OP doesn't mind. :)

Although I understand that it is not recommended to VEIL painted surfaces, I was reading through the Cannonball 2005 article:

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/cannonball-2005/cannonball-radar-detectors.asp

- and noticed that the sponsored "Team Catalyst" did VEIL the rather large chrome grill of their Dodge Magnum.

Has anyone here done this to their vehicles as well?

How did it turn out? Did the VEIL "stick" to the chrome acceptably?

How about cosmetically? Was it just messy/dirty looking, or did it look OK? If it was "streaky," would I be better off just refinishing the chrome areas of my grill with, say, a flat-black finish?

Chrome is plated not painted and several people have treated their chrome with veil only thing is it looks kinda crappy!

http://www.radardetector.net/volvo-grill-7728t.php

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=veiledgrill8uw.jpg

TSi+WRX
11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
holein1 -

Thank you *very* much for that linked thread (and its embedded picture). :D

That does indeed not look all that great - and now has me really thinking hard about refinishing my grill.

I do understand that the chrome (even on my plastic grill) is "plated," and not truly painted-on, and indeed, this was why I thought that using it on the chrome trim areas would be OK. :) I do apologize if my wording in the previous post somewhat confused this issue, as what I tried to relay to the OP was that VEIL, at least from the instructions/tips that I've seen, was not recommened for the painted areas of the vehicle, such as his initial query about "the entire bumper."

AlexRuiz
11-24-2006, 02:08 PM
What do you drive and whats the color, you could always add a bra or jammer!

Suzuki Forenza, desert green
Let me get a picture.

Bra is not an option ;)
I guess I will have to start saving for the jammer.[/img]