PDA

View Full Version : Laser PT on my Jeep

Grimmjpr
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I just ordered a RX65, laser shield and Veil for my Jeep...the LEOs have been going laser crazy around here.....jammers are illegial here in UT so....what is everyones thoughts on anything else i can do to reduce the lasers reflection? I also have since this pic was taken replaced the chrome headlight rings with black ones. I usually don't speed that much but sometimes i forget to check my speed go way too fast..... Any help would be great......thanks in advance.....

JTW
12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I just ordered a RX65, laser shield and Veil for my Jeep...the LEOs have been going laser crazy around here.....jammers are illegial here in UT so....what is everyones thoughts on anything else i can do to reduce the lasers reflection? I also have since this pic was taken replaced the chrome headlight rings with black ones. I usually don't speed that much but sometimes i forget to check my speed go way too fast..... Any help would be great......thanks in advance.....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/Grimmjpr/100_1953.jpg

If you turn the jammer off so the officer gets your speed after you slowed down I don't see why a cop would think you had a jammer. JTG's = hassled by the cops.

JTW

Audi Quattro
12-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Buy one of these and do this to your plate...This is the Audi JTG Special Edition.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n207/johnaudi/front2.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n207/johnaudi/finishedplate.jpg

richardboy316
12-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Buy one of these and do this to your plate...This is the Audi JTG Special Edition.

i dont get it...

Audi Quattro
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Audi + Stealth europlate = JTG=Audi JTG Special Ed.

Arashi666
12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Special Ed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and he had made it non reflective, thats why the thing appeared so dim on that nightshot

Audi Quattro
12-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes it took me several days so this is the before and after results. Pics taked with flash in closed darkroom.

Before:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n207/johnaudi/plateinbathroom.jpg

After:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n207/johnaudi/finishedplate.jpg

holein1
12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Add a nice thick coat of veil to your fog and headlights + veil the laser shield! I think that with cut down the distance tremendously, on my front plate I took a scotch bright pad and scuffed off the ultra reflective coating and it seemed to help!

Now as far as the lime green paint I'm not sure how laser friendly that is! :lol:

holein1
12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Audi + Stealth europlate = JTG=Audi JTG Special Ed.

That nice white bumper isn't so stealth! :? Honestly you'd be better of running a WA State plate with a black frame, less surface area.

Audi Quattro
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
read my lasted post in the laser jammer section regarding testing today.

http://www.radardetector.net/Did-some-very-interesting-laser-jammer-tests-on-and-off....-19583t.php

The reflective Wa.st. plate even w/a black frame wouldnt help.

holein1
12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
read my lasted post in the laser jammer section regarding testing today.

http://www.radardetector.net/Did-some-very-interesting-laser-jammer-tests-on-and-off....-19583t.php

The reflective Wa.st. plate even w/a black frame wouldnt help.

What?

Add a WA plate to you car with a black frame (do the same non reflective treatment that you did to you euro plate) and see which one produces better results with the jammer off. Of course if you compare a ultra reflective WA plate to your modified euro plate well the treated one is gonna do better!

I bet with your jammer off I could easialy obtain a readin @ 800 + feet with a PL III, you should have Chris run a test and see how it does!

Audi Quattro
12-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I see what your talking about...I'd have to paint the mountains, sky and everything else. I've had enough of painting for awhile. I would think if a LEO saw my car with a non-reflective Wa.st and they know that they are re-flective and would know something is up and wrong with my plate and alter'd. Atleast with my painted plate its euro and its on a Audi and fits it well and doesnt really stand out.

holein1
12-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I see what your talking about...I'd have to paint the mountains, sky and everything else. I've had enough of painting for awhile. I would think if a LEO saw my car with a non-reflective Wa.st and they know that they are re-flective and would know something is up and wrong with my plate and alter'd. Atleast with my painted plate its euro and its on a Audi and fits it well and doesnt really stand out.

In broad day light I have had two troopers looks at the front of my old car (reflective coating removed + laser shield) yet they said nothing. I think they would give you a much harder time over the euro plate?

TSi+WRX
12-08-2006, 05:46 AM
^ I think this just depends a lot on where one lives, and the prevailing attitude of the enforcers regarding front-plate laws (if any).

I know that in my area, front-plate enforcement seems to be targeted specifically towards modified vehicles - typical family sedans, wagons, or SUVs without overt modifications usually get the blind eye.

Attitudes towards modified plates (i.e. bent-back plates, which are favored by some sport-compact enthusiasts in order to clear more incoming air for their FMIC) also seems to vary quite a bit, but at least in my area, it seems that as long as the lettering portion of the State-issue Ohio plate remains visible and distortion-free, the driver usually gets a pass.

In my area, mock Euro or Asian plates definitely will get you pulled-over and a "fix-it" ticket issued, unless you've supplemented the front of the vehicle with a real State-issued plate alongside the cosmetic one.

Audi Quattro
12-08-2006, 08:07 AM
A europlate and US plate together looks gay though..and sorry I didnt mean to hijack the post..wasnt my intention..lets stay with the orginal post from its owner.

holein1
12-08-2006, 10:50 AM
^ I think this just depends a lot on where one lives, and the prevailing attitude of the enforcers regarding front-plate laws (if any).

Yeah well audi and I live in the same State! :wink:

TSi+WRX
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah well audi and I live in the same State! :wink:

How close are you guys in terms of cities/towns?

Here, speaking locally of the half-dozen or so of the immediate townships and one metro city through which I do my errands and commutes on a daily/weekly basis, only two really enforce the front-plate issue.

And of these two, one specifically targets enforcement based on the type of vehicle/modifications/driver.

I've just found this to be a very, very highly variable issue. :)

LittleOverPSL
12-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Let's get back to the original person, the question is still open.

Your vehicle color, fortunately, isn't so bad for reflectivity, IMO.

1. As Audi suggested, you could go with a non-state issued plate that cuts down on reflection. That may invite a non-moving violation though, it's up to you.

2. Find out what distances LEOs are targeting in your driving areas, and what lidar guns are being used. This matters because it's been fairly well proven that Veil/LaserShield do help at long distances (say over 2000') with most guns. At 1000'-2000' (just some nice round numbers), there's some chance, PT distances will vary based on gun (I say this because I was surprised by the PT distance with the LTIs, haven't tested with PL3 yet). Below 1000', this can only be figured out with tests on *your* vehicle. Change the nice round numbers, and the PT probability will change. Note that your state laws may prohibit any covering of plate/lights, but it will be a non-moving violation.

3. Get a nice laser parking sensor to help you park you vehicle without damage to it or surrounding objects.

P.S. - the green coating some folks are experimenting with will probably go well with your vehicle. :wink:

Grimmjpr
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for some ideas......Front plate is required in UT so adding a non issued state plate isn't an option, I got a laser shield, usually unless the cover is dark there isn't any issue with a cover over the plate.....I wasn't sure how the Lime Green would be with reflectivity i guess its a light to middle color??

I figure if i Veil the headlights, foglights, and turn signals, plus laser shield the front plate i should be a lot better off then naked.....like i said i don't speed a lot but sometimes i see a LEO and think holy crap.....i'm going a bit too fast.

Lately UHP has been writing tickets for 65 in a 60........it sucks......Thanks keep the info comming....

TSi+WRX
12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Let's get back to the original person, the question is still open.

I was under the impression that the front-plate issue was pertinent, as he has to use one - or risk some scrutiny from enforcers. :)

3. Get a nice laser parking sensor to help you park you vehicle without damage to it or surrounding objects.

Agreed - could be a good excuse for a "monster truck" to have one, too!

:lol:

A question I would have for both the OP and others is both his feelings about using a cover for his off-road lamps, as well as whether or not a non-reflective set of those would help with PT?

lndshrk
12-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Grimm,

If you want, I can take a picture of your vehicle in the IR spectrum.

I'm here in Herriman, and I have a digital SLR converted to IR.

Then you can SEE what lime green looks like in IR.

Jim