PDA

View Full Version : Tinted head/Tail lights vs. Veil

LazerRadar
12-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I was wondering since I have heard that the Veil coating can fade or damage the headlights,instead how much of an effect can Tinting your headlights and taillights have an effect on laser versus the application of Veil coating?

twood
12-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I really don't know for sure. I do know that Veil is composed of infrared absorbing elements that absorb the IR from a LIDAR gun, but still allows visible light to pass through. I suspect a dark tinted headlight cover would absorb much IR as well, and be nearly as effective, but it would also absorb visible light. Meaning that you have less light output from your headlights at night. This may require the removal of the tinted covers when driving at night. Leaving you vulnerable to LIDAR.

I've not heard about Veil damaging headlights. However, if this is a concern, you could get clear headlight covers and apply Veil to them. I read in another thread where someone here had done this. They put Veil on both sides of the covers and tested it. The results were very good. Here is the thread:
http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=8605&highlight=clear+headlight+covers

TSi+WRX
12-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I've read of one singular case here on these Forums of VEIL permanently staining the "lens."

I'm currently soliciting end-user information from other long-term VEIL users to see if they've had the same experience, or to what extent they may have experienced such.

LazerRadar
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I really don't know for sure. I do know that Veil is composed of infrared absorbing elements that absorb the IR from a LIDAR gun, but still allows visible light to pass through. I suspect a dark tinted headlight cover would absorb much IR as well, and be nearly as effective, but it would also absorb visible light. Meaning that you have less light output from your headlights at night. This may require the removal of the tinted covers when driving at night. Leaving you vulnerable to LIDAR.

I've not heard about Veil damaging headlights. However, if this is a concern, you could get clear headlight covers and apply Veil to them. I read in another thread where someone here had done this. They put Veil on both sides of the covers and tested it. The results were very good. Here is the thread:
http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=8605&highlight=clear+headlight+covers

The reason I ask is because I do have tinted headlights and although they do cut off some light output, they are not that dark. just enough to block the chrome in the headlights when veiwed from the outside.

I just read the thread of where the person got headlights covers and applied Veil, but am I reading it right when he says on both sides of the covers? Meaning the front and back? Not just the front of each left and right headlight cover?

LazerRadar
12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I've read of one singular case here on these Forums of VEIL permanently staining the "lens."

I'm currently soliciting end-user information from other long-term VEIL users to see if they've had the same experience, or to what extent they may have experienced such.

yes, that is the biggest concern I have of applying Veil is damaging my headlights which are custom Projector HID headlights that cost over $1000+ ea. I wanted to apply Veil to the headlights since they had a local gb for a great deal, but couldnt sacrifice the risk of staining them...

twood
12-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I just read the thread of where the person got headlights covers and applied Veil, but am I reading it right when he says on both sides of the covers? Meaning the front and back? Not just the front of each left and right headlight cover?

That's my understanding too. Front and back. The reason for this is to add an additional layer of Veil without having to put two coats on one side. Since your headlights are already tinted, you may want to just coat one side of a clear headlight cover. Any more than that and it could make your headlights too dark.

crazyVOLVOrob
12-28-2006, 08:59 AM

I'm currently soliciting end-user information from other long-term VEIL users to see if they've had the same experience, or to what extent they may have experienced such.never had that problem with the veil on my lights but i use pure ammonia for getting it off which is strong then some other materials

TSi+WRX
12-28-2006, 09:02 AM
never had that problem with the veil on my lights but i use pure ammonia for getting it off which is strong then some other materials

^ Cool beans, thanks! :)

LazerRadar
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM

That's my understanding too. Front and back. The reason for this is to add an additional layer of Veil without having to put two coats on one side. Since your headlights are already tinted, you may want to just coat one side of a clear headlight cover. Any more than that and it could make your headlights too dark.

thanks for clearing that up. That is what I thought, does more layers of Veil mean more protection?
Is two layers suffice or would more layers provide even better JTG? Would 2 coats front and back of each cover to make a total of 4 coats be over kill?

twood
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks for clearing that up. That is what I thought, does more layers of Veil mean more protection?

Essentially, yes. However, you have to balance it against the reduced visible light from the headlights. You want your headlights to still provide enough light for night driving. Plus, if its too dark, it may be illegal.

Is two layers suffice or would more layers provide even better JTG? Would 2 coats front and back of each cover to make a total of 4 coats be over kill?

If it were me, I would start with just one coat on clear headlight covers. Then see how much your headlight output drops at night. If you feel like your light output hasn't been reduced too much, then you could add a second coat on the other side of the cover. I'm not sure any more than two coats would be wise. Again, you want to avoid making it so dark the headlights don't work.

As for JTG, Veil isn't going to jam a LIDAR gun. The LEO will eventually get a speed reading from other reflective parts of your car. The best you can hope for when using Veil alone, is to get a few extra seconds to slow down. If you want to JTG, you will need to get a laser jammer. A good laser jammer used in conjunction with Veil should give you excellent LIDAR protection. Check the jammer forum for more info on jammers.

LazerRadar
12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
[/quote]
As for JTG, Veil isn't going to jam a LIDAR gun. The LEO will eventually get a speed reading from other reflective parts of your car. The best you can hope for when using Veil alone, is to get a few extra seconds to slow down. If you want to JTG, you will need to get a laser jammer. A good laser jammer used in conjunction with Veil should give you excellent LIDAR protection. Check the jammer forum for more info on jammers.[/quote]

I was assuming that Veil would be used in conjuction with a Laser Jammer, correct me if I am wrong.
I'm sure Veil can be used seperately with out a Laser Jammer but it wouldnt give as good of protection. Plus I live in Texas which requires front License plates so they are obstructed to aim at the license plate then the headlights if they cant get a reading.
After the responses im not sure that I want to go ahead and apply Veil to my headlights. I thought that the coat of Veil wouldn't cut out any light output but what scares me the most is that there is a possiblity that it could stain my headlights. Thanks for your response.

but I have one last question.....
Can you use a Laser Jammer effectively w/o the application of Veil?
Or is it absolutely necessary to have Veil and some kind of protection on the front plate if you do use a Laser Jammer?
I will check out the Jammer forum also...

twood
12-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Or is it absolutely necessary to have Veil and some kind of protection on the front plate if you do use a Laser Jammer?

Being that I don't have a jammer myself, I can't speak authoritatively on this. However, some users here claim that the latest Anti Laser and Laser Pro Park jammers are completely effective without Veil. The less expensive jammers like the Blinder and Shifter ZR3 work better with Veil, but do work to some extent without it. Again this is solely based on what others have posted. You may want to ask this question in the Laser Jammers forum to allow those who own jammers to answer.

I know you said you don't want to put Veil directly on your headlights. Which I can understand. But what about getting some removable clear headlight covers and putting Veil on the covers? That way your headlights won't get damaged. And if you decide you don't like the Veil, then just remove the headlight covers.

For the front license plate, you can get a Laser Shield plate cover. Its available from www.radarbusters.com.

LazerRadar
12-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Being that I don't have a jammer myself, I can't speak authoritatively on this. However, some users here claim that the latest Anti Laser and Laser Pro Park jammers are completely effective without Veil. The less expensive jammers like the Blinder and Shifter ZR3 work better with Veil, but do work to some extent without it. Again this is solely based on what others have posted. You may want to ask this question in the Laser Jammers forum to allow those who own jammers to answer.

I know you said you don't want to put Veil directly on your headlights. Which I can understand. But what about getting some removable clear headlight covers and putting Veil on the covers? That way your headlights won't get damaged. And if you decide you don't like the Veil, then just remove the headlight covers.

For the front license plate, you can get a Laser Shield plate cover. Its available from www.radarbusters.com.

That is also what I have heard about the good laser jammers, they are very effective even w/o the Veil application. I am looking more into that as of right now.

As for the Veil application, unfortunately I still have the issue of my headlights are already tinted and putting another cover w/ the application of Veil will make them even darker than they already are which is why I dont want to do it. If I decide to get a jammer I will have to strategically place the blinders closer to the headlights for better protection, since I will not be applying Veil to them.

And for the front license plate, I believe that any kind of obstruction to the license plate is illegal in Texas, so any covers over the plate is out of the question.
As of right now I am not running a front plate, because I do not have a laser jammer and I have not been bothered for it, but I believe that as soon as I get a jammer it will have to go back on as the LEO's issue citations when there laser gun does not work as effectively because the absence of a plate. If there is an alternative shield that can be applied I will probably go with that. btw...I heard that one state will be banning any kind of covers on the plate even a license frame will be illegal, so you can only run a naked plate. :shock:
thanks for your very informitive response :D

twood
12-29-2006, 08:20 AM
I've read where some folks have made photo copies of their front plates and used the copy as the plate. The copy is less reflective than the plate making it harder for LEOs to get a reading off it. Not sure exactly how they did this. I suspect places like Kinkos aren't allowed to copy license plates. It seems the best way would be to copy it yourself on a color copier. Then laminate the copy to make it stiff and water resistant. Then you could put a coat of Veil on the copy to make it less IR reflective.

Keep in mind that doing this is almost assuredly illegal. But my guess is that its less likely to get you pulled over than a missing plate is.

Anyhow, good luck with your setup. :)

LazerRadar
12-29-2006, 10:07 AM
^wow never heard of that one :shock: ....I may have to consider that also... ah decisions, decisions :o
Thanks. I will have to do much more research on what is the most effective setup is for my situatiion w/o having to give up my arms and legs... :D

Toronto-radar-chopper
01-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I have some veil that is going in the garbage if anyone wants it. I tried it out and I could not get it to look nice.

I have also spoken and seen proof of the damage caused by Veil when installed by an average person.

It ruined my clear plate covers and it looks like $hit.

Maybe it works, even though I feel this is not that effective. if you have a good jammer, you should not need to add to do anything else for good laser defence.