PDA

View Full Version : laser gun vs jammer performance at night?

Mackid343
12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
i remember hearing, i think it was from the veil guy, that laser guns perform better at night. now if this were true, wouldn't that also mean that our jammers perform better at night or would it make their job harder since there is less other light polluting the light the gun receives back?

i've always wondered about if jammers perform the same at night or if their performance decreases

crazyVOLVOrob
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
laser gun do perform better in day due to the absense of other light but really the laser jammer will performan a little better at night too compared to testing during the day

Mackid343
12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
laser gun do perform better in day due to the absense of other light but really the laser jammer will performan a little better at night too compared to testing during the day

you mean they will perform better at night, correct?

crazyVOLVOrob
12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
pretty much yeah

That ios why at the last laser jammer shoot out byt the GOL there was a fight for the last testing time of the day :wink:

fulcrum
01-02-2007, 08:11 AM
A lasergun performs better at night, this can be demonstrated best on a car without a licenseplate or other good reflecting surfaces. The fainter reflection on the car in the dark gives a better contrast, because the light noise levels are lower. (noise from sunlight etc.) I tested this using a JenOptic laserpatrol, and the effect is huge. (especially when the gun is positioned on a tripod)

On the other hand, when a car has a retro-reflecting license plate. The amount of reflected energy is so much higher that day or night doesn't make so much difference anymore. I would say the performance of the lasergun on average would be better, because it is easier to aim at daylight.

Another effect is that IR blocking coatings like Veil have much better effect during daytime. The contrast reducing effect might just push your car under the noise threshold.

I am not sure about the influence of day/night on jammer performance. I didn't test and there are many variables involved.