PDA

View Full Version : Why is rear application not very effective?

takk
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
From http://www.radarbusters.com/products/coatings/veil-details.asp

Should I treat the rear of my vehicle?

If you know that LIDAR is used to target speeders, in your area, from the rear, then it would be advisable. However, we have found that vehicles are more easily targetable from the rear and do not benefit as much from treatment.

Is this because the LEO has the opportunity to get a close-up laser shot as the vehicle goes by? Or is there another reason?

Around here, a favourite LEO tactic is to sit on highway on-ramps and get people from behind, although I have no idea what kind of speed measuring devices they use... might not be laser.

Veil Guy
01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Takk,

Same reason that Veil doesn't do as well to stealth badly shaped and/or colored vehicles - it's what goes untreated that's the problem and the rear shape of most cars (with their trunk) is essentially flat and vertical making a great reflector of laser whether the lights are coated and the plate is lasershielded. There still is too much left over for the effectiveness of veil to be really felt. Sure you may get a reduction from the absolute max distance, but punch throughs will likely still approach or exceed 1000-1500'.

I would expect that most targeting from the rear is well within that range since they have the advantage of generally being hidden from view when they target.

The very same thing goes with jammers as well. Very tough to entirely cloak the rear because of all the reflective areas.

I believe some of the european-made diode models (like the LPP) may actually have the power to overcome such reflectivity or perhaps a couple of decent LED (2 or 4 unit) models can also do so, but the task to cloak from the rear is harder.

Pairing Veil with a jammer arrangement on the rear coupled with an LS on the plate may do the trick.

If I recall we tried targeting Jim's black trans-am which was quite curvaceous in the rear and it did very well with minimal coutermeasures, but his car would be more the exception than the rule.

Veil Guy 8)

takk
01-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the fast reply!

So, by the sounds of it, a hatchback (take a Mazda 3, for example :wink: ) with its large flat area is gonna be laser-toast without a whole lot of counter-measures... sigh...!

Any idea when the new improved easier-to-apply veil will be available? Ball-park (as in are we talking weeks, months, or years)?

Thanks again!

Veil Guy
01-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Dod you have a pic of your tail?

I am afraid that I can't commit to a timeframe for our group...we've got a bunch of things in the hopper.

I promise, though, you guy's will be the first to know! :wink:

Veil Guy 8)