PDA

View Full Version : Veil on front plate but not lamps?

Grinch80
03-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Just curious if there's a benefit to coating my front plate only, but not the lamps, with Veil. I've read on this forum that Veil can diminish headlamp effectiveness by 15-20%. As a guy that has a hard time seeing at night, this would be bad. Thanks for your input.

P.s. Will Lasershield be better for me? If so, pls PM me with a legit US dealer...the rules around product recommendations for this forum are strange to say to the least.

Synbios
03-03-2007, 11:59 PM
If you only want to cover the front license plate then the laser shield is a much better solution. You can get a laser shield for 20 bucks from radar roy, and it will last forever as opposed to the veil that is 90 and you will have to re-coat it every so often.

www.radarbusters.com

Grinch80
03-04-2007, 12:03 AM
That's great to know, my thanks.

Since you're a masshole like me, is Lasershield cool in the Commonwealth?

Synbios
03-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Actually in MA it's illegal to have covers on either of your plates. Veil might be illegal too depending on how noticeable it is though. AFAIK the law states that you can't make any modifications to your plate or do something to it that reduces visibility of the letters.

Don't take my word for it but I don't think it's a big deal but it's one of those things that you can get an extra fine for if a cop notices it.

Grinch80
03-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks Synbios. Is there a link to the lasershield on radar roy's site? i can't seem to find it...

nsecrest
03-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks Synbios. Is there a link to the lasershield on radar roy's site? i can't seem to find it...

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/photo-radar/laser-shield.asp

Veil Guy
03-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Using the LS or VEIL on the plate alone won't provide much protection at all, I am afraid as the headlights and foglights provide more than enough reflection to give a laser gun a reading quickly.

If you are reluctant to utilize Veil, you may want to consider employing a jammer in your solution.

Veil Guy 8)

Mthman30
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Just curious if there's a benefit to coating my front plate only, but not the lamps, with Veil. I've read on this forum that Veil can diminish headlamp effectiveness by 15-20%. As a guy that has a hard time seeing at night, this would be bad. Thanks for your input.

P.s. Will Lasershield be better for me? If so, pls PM me with a legit US dealer...the rules around product recommendations for this forum are strange to say to the least.

Just upgrade your bulbs to a higher wattage. That should compensate for any loss. They may be considered illegal wattage bulbs, however, with the Veil coverage they will now look normal.

TSi+WRX
03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
^ Still not quite.

The color-shift will still be there - and that itself will both somewhat impair vision, as well as may attract more enforcement attention.

Both of these factors are what's keeping me from applying my VEIL ( to say nothing of the weather conditions since I bought my can :lol: ).

As some of you well-know, I'm *still* nail-biting over this one. :cry: :?

evilhomer
05-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I got VEIL for my headlights, but i'm still working on a solution for my front plate.

Does anyone know if lasershield is permitted in Maryland?

Tambourine-Man
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I thought I read somewhere not to put Veil on license plates. Why not? what about putting it on a CR8APL8 (fiberglass) plate, or isn't it necessary?

TSi+WRX
07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I thought I read somewhere not to put Veil on license plates. Why not?

^ Mainly, the reasons are aesthetic/cosmetic.

However, if you keep your car sparkling clean, then a "dirty appearing" license-plate carries the potential raise some eyebrows in enforcement situations - and yes, in the areas where plate-laws are strictly enforced, enforcers are wise to VEIL'ing the plate (as well as many other plate-"dressing" methods).

There have also been reports of VEIL carrying some interactions with various states' registration stickers' ink - dissolving or otherwise rendering said ink un-readable. However, this is a truly unique circumstance, and you should thus test your state's registration sticker ink to confirm, for yourself, whether or not you'll see a problem in this respect.

There were also claims that VEIL'ing a clear plate cover (if such is allowed in your area) can return with an even more effective result, since the cover is elevated over the plate surface, and is also itself less LIDAR reflective than the plate to begin with.

...what about putting it on a CR8APL8 (fiberglass) plate, or isn't it necessary?

The same considerations given to issue plates should be given to replica plates.

Tambourine-Man
07-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the info. Right now none of this makes any difference as I am driving an MPV with a lot of shiny chrome and silver reflective paint, but soon I expect to have a car which will be a LEO magnet.

I am concerned about the lasershield as I think it is too obvious. I like stealth, such as a license plate that just looks dirty, or faded. Besides, Massachusetts General Laws chapter 90, section 6 reads (in part):

Section 6. Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar in accordance with section two or five or by temporary number plates authorized by the registrar as hereinafter provided, one number plate to be attached at the front and one at the rear of said motor vehicle, and one number plate to be attached at the rear of said trailer, but if the registrar issues but one number plate it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle so that it shall always be plainly visible. The said number plates shall be kept clean with the numbers legible and shall not be obscured in any manner by the installation of any device obscuring said numbers, and during the period when the vehicle or trailer is required to display lights the rear register number shall be illuminated so as to be plainly visible at a distance of sixty feet. No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, . . ."

TSi+WRX
07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
I am concerned about the lasershield as I think it is too obvious.

^ From about 30-ft. away, the LaserShield, particularly on a clean, dry (as water will get between the LS membrane and the plate itself) vehicle, is nearly invisible.

However, any closer or if the area is wet - it's a dead giveaway.

If plate-cover laws are strictly enforced in your area, indeed, this may not be a good way to go.

I like stealth, such as a license plate that just looks dirty, or faded.

If you can keep your vehicle a little road-grimy (i.e. not "sparkling-showroom-clean"), then the visual cloak of VEIL may work well and may be a close cosmetic match to such grime/dirt.

You can also try using 3M Clear Duct Tape, give "diffusing tape" a search on the Forums, and you'll find the information you need on this one.

Best of luck! :)