PDA

View Full Version : is veil illegal in illinose

rsxti
03-28-2007, 09:13 PM
hi i want to know if veil illegal in illnoise and what does it do does it help you during laser alerts

g_jammer
05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
As long as you don't make your lights too dark, you should not be hassled in Illinois. This goes for headlight covers, headlight tints, Veil, ect...

Veil is supposed to reduce the range a Police Laser Gun can target your car at when he is aiming at your lights (or plates if you apply it to a plate cover).

IMO:

If you plan on using the Veil + Radar Detector setup only, you should be prepared to get Laser tickets. I personally do not have much confidence in this setup in practical scenarios & will likely only give you a false sense of confidence..

If you buy a LED jammer, Veil helps reduce punch-throughs.

If you buy a good Diode jammer, Veil will be inconsequential.

Phillip559
05-11-2007, 12:39 AM
As long as you don't make your lights too dark, you should not be hassled in Illinois. This goes for headlight covers, headlight tints, Veil, ect...

Veil is supposed to reduce the range a Police Laser Gun can target your car at when he is aiming at your lights (or plates if you apply it to a plate cover).

IMO:

If you plan on using the Veil + Radar Detector setup only, you should be prepared to get Laser tickets. I personally do not have much confidence in this setup in practical scenarios & will likely only give you a false sense of confidence..

If you buy a LED jammer, Veil helps reduce punch-throughs.

If you buy a good Diode jammer, Veil will be inconsequential.

Veil isn't supposed to give a JTG or anyting like that. Its supposed to give a few extra seconds of reaction time when laser is used at long distances. When using a good detector like a V1 you can receive a laser alert and slam the brakes before a reading can ba attained. Once again, its all theory but there are some supposed cases where it worked. I believe the Veil site even has some videos that proved it is possible. Sethy and some of hte other members in here like Jimbonzz were in the video.

g_jammer
05-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Veil isn't supposed to give a JTG or anyting like that. .

I'm well aware what it is supposed to do and the theory sounds great, but so does RMR's marketing.,

Excluding the detection of Laser Scatter, IMO, Veil + RD alone requires too much luck to provide any kind of protection in the real world if your vehicle is targeted, even a couple seconds seems outrageous when so much of the front end will still reflect IR.

If you need laser protection, you need a jammer, Veil's place is to assist PT prone LED jammers.

Again, this is my opinion based on my experience.

ELVATO
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Also, I think it would highly depend on the car. For example, RacerX's truck is practically a black mass in the front and gets around 1200' PT. On the other hand, I think it is Arashi's car(not sure) who says he gets 300' PT with just veil alone.

Personally, I've never used Veil, so I can't give my opinion on that product, but I do feel that the only true protection is offered from active jamming.

I also feel that investing in some sort of passive protection to either help the jammer, or to help hide the fact the fact that you have a jammer (a black bra might help explain why the LEO is having a harder time getting a reading) would be a good idea. But one should not get a sense of security from passive countermeasures alone.

Veil Guy
05-13-2007, 06:58 AM
g_jammer,

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for diode laser jammers, I am not aware of production diode jammer that has demonstrated consistent JTGs across a broad spectrum of police lidar guns?

Are you?

Until that is the case, may I suggest that your assertion that Veil is 'inconsequential' with diode jammers is a bit, premature?

If an when the time comes for such a device, I'd personally wait a year of solid use before conducting such tests, I've seen some "burn-out" in less time.

Given that Veil doesn't give jam codes, it's use [with a jammer] could never hurt.

And as part of a defense-in-depth (DiD) scheme, you can never have too much protection! :wink:

Veil Guy 8)

g_jammer
05-13-2007, 11:26 AM
g_jammer,

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for diode laser jammers, I am not aware of production diode jammer that has demonstrated consistent JTGs across a broad spectrum of police lidar guns?

Are you?

JTG across the board? Unrealistic, but that is a good marketing campaing to sell Veil. :wink:

Seriously though, Jam guns down to 75', 100', 200' with single head diode setups is impressive and real results. Add a 2nd head & those #'s drop even more.

Additional independent testing & videos of diode jammers have shown they provide excellent protection across the board, without the use of Veil, which is why I stand by my statement that Veil is inconsequential with Diode Jammers.

If someone wants the extra protection with Veil & a Diode jammer, that is their choice, but it is not needed the way it is with LED jammers.

For the record, I have owned LED jammers & Veil until recently. I currently own a LPP dual head.

Veil Guy
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
They are terrific results, and in my opinion, essentially JTG.

75' at 60mph is like no time at all, realistically.

What kind/color is your vehicle(s) in which your LPP is installed?

Veil Guy 8)

g_jammer
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM

You are correct. However, just how relying 100% on a RD will land you in trouble, jammers are not different in that respect.

You cannot rely on getting a JTG all the time during real encounters. If you get within 75' or so & don't see the LEO before he targets you, you probably aren't paying attention.

The closest I have been targeted is 300', in the City of Chicago (Chicago cops almost always target at very close ranges), and he was easy pretty easy to spot at that range & he wasn't parked in the open either.

I don't want to give a detailed description of my car as I know of a few cops in my area who browse this forum. But suffice it to say that I drive a mid size Infiniti sports sedan, dark in color & aerodynamic front end.

Let me conclude by saying that if Veil were developed into a film that would be applied to the lights like a very light window tint, provided some protection to the lights from debris, virtually no effect on lightoutput, lasted for years and looked like it was a handsome OEM accessory to the vehicle, I'd buy it and place it on my car in an instant.

However, there are too many Cons currently associated with Veil IMO (how it looks on many cars, staining of lenses, reduced light output on many cars, reapplication, cost...ect) that makes it just not worth buying when you have equipped yourself with a great Diode jammer.

Veil Guy
05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
That's fine. I am not actually trying to "convert" you.

This issue of staining of the lenses. I believe, I have heard this reference on this forum but I believe this case is extremely rare. Two cases in about five years of Veil sales.

I suspect when this happened, it happened on VERY weathered and beat headlight housings.

I have seen some dodge caravan plastic headlight housings that are essentially opaque and yellowed because they are so beaten.

I have never heard of seen Veil do such a thing on headlight housings/covers in any better shape.

Veil Guy 8)

Phillip559
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM

You are correct. However, just how relying 100% on a RD will land you in trouble, jammers are not different in that respect.

You cannot rely on getting a JTG all the time during real encounters. If you get within 75' or so & don't see the LEO before he targets you, you probably aren't paying attention.

The closest I have been targeted is 300', in the City of Chicago (Chicago cops almost always target at very close ranges), and he was easy pretty easy to spot at that range & he wasn't parked in the open either.

I don't want to give a detailed description of my car as I know of a few cops in my area who browse this forum. But suffice it to say that I drive a mid size Infiniti sports sedan, dark in color & aerodynamic front end.

Lol, is your car really that unique that some random cops can figure out who you are in a state as large is Illinois?

If you drove a lamborghini than it would be different.

g_jammer
05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Lol, is your car really that unique that some random cops can figure out who you are in a state as large is Illinois?

If you drove a lamborghini than it would be different.

If you would read what wrote, I said I know there are a few cops in my area who browse this forum, I am not talking about random cops in the entire state of Illinois, but cops who work where I live & who read this forum. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out which car is mine if you were that cop and you knew what my car looked like.

I may not drive a Lamborghini, but I don't usually see a car that looks like mine on the road too often, let alone mine does have a unique look to it in relation to a stock version, so yeah, it would be pretty easy to spot me if you were looking for me in my neighborhood.

Any descriptions / photo's I may have posted in the past have never been accurate enough to identify what my car actually looks like.