PDA

View Full Version : Is Veil worth it?

justinkk2005
04-11-2007, 06:26 PM
If I applied veil to my cavalier and mounted my X50 low, what are the chances I would get a warning quick enough to slow down? I live in an area where its alot of mountains (appalachian) so distance would be short, leos would be shooting very close.. any chance veil would make some saves?

carter840
04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
what tyoe of car do you have and what color. Post a picture if you have one.

justinkk2005
04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I have a cavalier J-body style, its teal green with black bumpers

lilmikey
04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
No

Veil Guy
04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
justinkk2005,

Cavaliers provide a terrific platform for Veil. Veil on Sethy's silver cavalier has saved him countless times, including one time when he forgot to turn on his radar detector.

Veil Guy 8)

justinkk2005
04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks! Yea i'm wondering about it, Its something temporary until I get a jammer. Laser isnt used here yet, but I dont want to be the first example set. It has the dark colors with the black plastic like bumpers, I was going to coat the whole thing half the hood etc. Or how much should I apply? So it would help long enough to get an alert on my x50?

ELVATO
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks! Yea i'm wondering about it, Its something temporary until I get a jammer. Laser isnt used here yet, but I dont want to be the first example set. It has the dark colors with the black plastic like bumpers, I was going to coat the whole thing half the hood etc. Or how much should I apply? So it would help long enough to get an alert on my x50?

Don't put it on painted surfaces. If anything, Veil should only be used on headlights, foglights, reflectors, and maybe chrome and plates (if you don't mind the look/if enforcement isn't too strict in your area.)

justinkk2005
04-28-2007, 09:09 AM
How is the distance on veil though? its mountainous here, so when I get lasered i'm in very short range. When I apply veil after I order it, i'm going to put it on thick. I dont really care about the looks of my car, I just like performance :)

TSi+WRX
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
At extremely shorter ranges ( <500 ft. ), I would not advise that you simply rely on VEIL - nor any combination or individual passive measure - to "save" you.

You may get lucky, but statistically, the consistency of such passive measures won't stack up.

Dressing your vehicle hard-points with VEIL (i.e. headlamps and other ancillary lighting, "chrome" trim, license plates, etc. - refrain from using VEIL on painted surfaces, this is a manufacturer's recommendation, and I would not discount it!; also, don't get carried away with painting coats upon coats of VEIL on your headlights, as there is a light-output decrease, and visibility in such mountain switchbacks as you have in your area is critical for your own [and others'] safety) can and will help, but its stated purpose isn't to make your vehicle undetectable via laser - instead, it's either to help those who cannot use active jammers receive best-odds or otherwise better your odds of coming out on-top in an encounter situation.

In your case, I'd think that VEIL would be worth it - as well as pursuing other passive protection, too.

As for the detector, in your shoes, I'd almost be tempted to mount the x50 high.

My reasoning would be that in hilly areas, you'd stand a better chance of picking up scatter/"splatter" with the increased line-of-sight of the high-mount position. [ Additionally, as you confessed that laser is not typically used in your area, this would further maximize your detection distance with radar, which would be assumed chief-enforcement, based on your wording. ] Also, it would seem that if only closer-distance laser shots are a perceived threat, any such encounters would put you well within visual range of the enforcer - thus, the detector reporting laser isn't really doing you much good, as your visual threat scan, which should ALWAYS be your primary concern, would already have you slowing down.

Essentially, I'd say that there's really no reason for you to mount the detector low. If you see an enforcer on the side of the road, to you, if he/she were using laser, you'd be counting on your passive measures already - and whether or not your detector reports the active hit is really only of academic value.

stealthJamal
04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
No

x2.

Just get yourself a really good jammer.