PDA

View Full Version : Test on Sethys cavalier video...

justinkk2005
04-30-2007, 08:15 PM
When fired at within 500 ft, the Veil seemed to have failed horribly. I was thinking of buying Veil, but in my area 500 ft is about the average distance they would be shooting. That video also tells me, just to stick with my choice as of right now of buying anti-laser instead of a blinder. Then maybe applying Veil for some safety. But, as of Veil by itself on my car. I'm really really iffy, because as soon as the car was lasered (I was watching the part 2 testing video on the veil site) he got a reading (after 500 ft). This scares me. Any thoughts?

ELVATO
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Most passive countermeasures usually won't do much the closer you get to the laser gun. By closer, I mean approaching the 500 ft mark. After all, you still have to be able to see the vehicle. Now if you could get some sort of black hole... :lol:

justinkk2005
04-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Coming over a mountain though over a gap, and a leo sitting right there within about 300 ft is very dangerous for me :(

Veil Guy
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
justinkk2005,

Punch through is punch through. While it's actually pretty flattering to be compared directly to the performance of an active jammer, we think of Veil as being more complementary than competitive, despite some assertions on this forum [and others] to the contrary.

Without a doubt, if you are looking for consistent or a high degree of probability of JTG in just about every targeting scenario (distance/vehicle/gun) combination then I honestly believe that using VEIL with whatever jammer you decide will maximize that likelihood.

Some jammers have demonstrated that they may not benefit much from the addition of Veil against certain guns and placement scenarios, but I have yet to find any shipping countermeasure provide JTG performance across all guns and for longer periods of time (like being in the field for more than a year).

While we don't pretend that VEIL will provide sufficient protection in every single targeting circumstance when used alone, I do believe that it is important to keep the results of these controlled tests in some sort of perspective even the jammer tests.

I believe it is safe to say that these staged tests are more stringent than will be actually experienced in the majority of laser traps you'll encounter.
Slow passes with targeting done in the very front with the laser gun positioned on a tripod (while great for making comparisons between different products) is generally not realworld.

Most of your encounters will likely be of the hand-held variety and probably at a bit higher rate of speed. Both of these factors generally play to your favor. Hand-holding a laser gun to establish a reading, in and of itself, can have a significant effect on reducing targeting distances particularly when countermeasures (active or passive or both) are used. Couple these issues with someone who is not expecting to have any difficulty of obtaining your speed in any circumstance and the advantage shifts to you further.

While there may have been punchthrough with Sethy's vehicle, he has also had a couple of experiences when the officer hand-held a laser gun and was not able to get a reading down to essentially point blank range (check out our testimonials page).

Again, I think it is safe to say that all of the countermeasures that the GoL have tested will perform better in the field than those test results alone indicate.

But to be perfectly honest with you, if you are routinely encountering laser that close-up initially (500feet), I would suggest that Veil alone likely won't provide the level of protection you are seeking. My recommendation is to pick a good and reliable jammer with an established track-record of greater than a year in the field and possibly pair it up with both Veil and the LS for your front plate. For even more protection, you may want to consider a black bra for front of your vehicle, if you can stand-it.

I believe guys like Happya$$ & Sethy have it right - defense-in-depth (DiD) is the best way to go.

Good luck.

Veil Guy 8)

hookem202
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Well Said VEIL GUY!

justinkk2005
05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Yes, thank you!

TSi+WRX
05-01-2007, 06:19 AM
But to be perfectly honest with you, if you are routinely encountering laser that close-up initially (500feet), I would suggest that Veil alone likely won't provide the level of protection you are seeking. My recommendation is to pick a good and reliable jammer with an established track-record of greater than a year in the field and possibly pair it up with both Veil and the LS for your front plate. For even more protection, you may want to consider a black bra for front of your vehicle, if you can stand-it.

^ Well said. :)

It's good to see this kind of honesty from a Vendor. :)

justinkk2005 - Honestly, <500 feet is getting to the border of being a "close range" encounter. At that kind of range, it's truly possible for even today's top-flight jammers to not offer consistent jamming due to the specific circumstances of the encounter (i.e. head placement, roadway level/elevation, enforcer skill, etc.).

If you're going to be facing short-range encounters routinely, your best defense would be to truly layer your active and passive countermeasures in order to shift the odds in your favor. [/b]

sethy
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
What color is your vehicle? What guns does your city shoot?

TSi+WRX
05-01-2007, 09:44 AM
What color is your vehicle?

^ Teal green, if I recall correctly, from another thread.

I'm not sure if the finish is metallic, though......

justinkk2005
05-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Yea its teal green, not metallic either. Its actually sitting at the bottom of a hill right now with the starter out of it (woudlnt roll start -.-) But, They use Ultralytes i'm pretty sure.

Phillip559
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
500 feet without an active jammer is pretty damn good. He might have been getting 1500 or more feet punchthroughes without it.

jdong
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
When fired at within 500 ft, the Veil seemed to have failed horribly. I was thinking of buying Veil, but in my area 500 ft is about the average distance they would be shooting. That video also tells me, just to stick with my choice as of right now of buying anti-laser instead of a blinder. Then maybe applying Veil for some safety. But, as of Veil by itself on my car. I'm really really iffy, because as soon as the car was lasered (I was watching the part 2 testing video on the veil site) he got a reading (after 500 ft). This scares me. Any thoughts?

Considering that the untreated no jammer controls resulted in an instant readout at 1500-ish feet, I'd consider these consistent showings of 500ft to be a spectacular feat by VEIL.

Now, of course, this is all meaningless if you note that your LEO's don't target beyond 500ft (which I've definitely seen done) -- in which case, as others said, you need active countermeasures.

JDS
07-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Also, do you have a chrome grille or other chrome on the front of your car, and do you have a front plate?