PDA

View Full Version : How stealthy does my veil app make me?

Phillip559
06-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Ok, i was finally successful with applying veil after using 3m perfect it and also with some advice from happyass. I used an airbrush again, however, the coats on the headlights are not as dark as before. So far there is no peeling so I must have achieved good adhesion.

Here are some pics with flash to simulate ir light. The camera used is a sony Cyber shot. Is there something else I can use besides a camera flash and a flashlight to simulate ir light? How susceptible to laser am I? Has the veil made a big difference on my silver metallic car. Any problem areas that you can see? The license number area had no reflection in any of the pics except what you an see (when blurring out the number no reflection was hidden).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Breakbeatboi/Veil1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Breakbeatboi/Veil2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Breakbeatboi/Veil3.jpg

ELVATO
06-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Why is that plate that color? It looks all rusty.

You wouldn't want to consider putting on a bra on would you? The center mass still looks "shiny."

sethy
06-06-2007, 09:47 AM
How much veil did you put on those headlights? There is like no reflection on those things :shock:

Phillip559
06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
How much veil did you put on those headlights? There is like no reflection on those things :shock:

I airbrushed about 5 coats (they are like tack coats to prevent running and then you go back and hit them again). They were actually darker the last time. I'm telling you, airbrushing really works out great. I'm just hoping it lasts.

Phillip559
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Why is that plate that color? It looks all rusty.

You wouldn't want to consider putting on a bra on would you? The center mass still looks "shiny."
The plate looks rusty because its white and then has a veil cover over it with two veil coats. It doesn't look that way during the day, only with light flashed on it.

Yea, I am seriously considering puting a bra. However, I need to make sure I still have an area to place Laser interceptor heads :) Would it be better to place them in the grill or in the air dam below the bumper?

whiterabbit05
06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
post up some day pics

JDS
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
:shock:

Do the headlights still work?

You realize they're actually on the car to light up the road, not just to reflect police laser, right? :lol:

Phillip559
06-06-2007, 07:39 PM
REally guys, the headlights aren't that dark. They still work great and don't even notice a difference in night visibility. I even have some close up shots of the headlights with the flash a foot away and there is still little reflection.

I'm telling you: I believe the secret is the many light coats which I airbrushed on. After the first coat, you can hardly notice a difference. After three, its slightly noticeable. After 5 or 6, you can really start to see it but it still allow you to see within the headlights.

Are my results really the extraordinary?

insertquarter
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Itz Probably Juzt the Night + Flash Look. Try Postin Up Some Day Picz...

Phillip559
06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Itz Probably Juzt the Night + Flash Look. Try Postin Up Some Day Picz...

The pics were taken at night with a flash to mimic the reflective Ir light.

This is the same type of reflection a laser gun would rely on. The less reflection = better.

JDS
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Are my results really the extraordinary?Post some daytime close-up photos of the headlights and we'll see.

ahmadr
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Just a quick reminder that Flash photography (at telephoto and the same angle of a lidar gun) is only helpful if we assume IR reflectivity is the same as the visual spectrum.

Veil is believed to reduce IR more than the visual spectrum. However, I have seen no spectral response measurements (or claims) to back this up. If this is true, the headlights would appear much darker in IR photography.

JDS
06-07-2007, 01:20 PM
You know, there is a solution here.

Somebody needs to load a 35mm camera with infrared film and take some test shots on various cars with and without veil.

I wish I still had my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 :cry:

sethy
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Can I see pics of your headlights during the day?

Phillip559
06-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Day pics will be coming in a bit.

Veil Guy
06-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Guys,

We have a recent MILSPEC Gen III IR Night Vision/Scope device in our arsenal of toys that we use for other applications...

Perhaps we can publish some PICs [of Veil'd headlights] generated with it.

Is that be something you guys would be interested in seeing?

BTW, Phillip559, your VEIL'd car really looks awesome. Very well done, indeed. Please let me know how it holds up, now that you pre-treated the headlights with the polishing compound.

Veil Guy 8)

JDS
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Is that be something you guys would be interested in seeing?YES!

ahmadr
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
YES! especialy if it includes noral visible light photos in similar conditions. For example, one nightshot with an IR floodlamp, and one normal flash photo from the same angle etc.
Please shoot at a reasonably long distanse (10 meters would be nice. 5 meters minimum).

spectral response figures would also be nice! :roll: Or at least just 904nm IR blocking and visible light pass through :?

Phillip559
06-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Guys,

We have a recent MILSPEC Gen III IR Night Vision/Scope device in our arsenal of toys that we use for other applications...

Perhaps we can publish some PICs [of Veil'd headlights] generated with it.

Is that be something you guys would be interested in seeing?

BTW, Phillip559, your VEIL'd car really looks awesome. Very well done, indeed. Please let me know how it holds up, now that you pre-treated the headlights with the polishing compound.

Veil Guy 8)

Thanks Veilguy, Veil is still going strong at the moment.

And I am interested in seeing the the pics from the night vision scope.

Veil Guy
06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Ok guys.

Please give some time to put this one together.

Phillip559,

I am very pleased to hear that the polish/cleaner may have done the trick!

ahmadr,

To be entirely frank with you, my engineers would be loathe to do such a thing for obvious reasons, however, I promise you, at the appropriate thickness levels (of our film) -- one of the aspects of Veil's performance is attenuation -- Veil will attenuate 904nm in just a single pass at about 90% or more [two pass, double attenuation is >99%]. This is more than enough to do the job. Anything more is a complete waste [of resources] as the remaining portions of the vehicle (which remain untreated) are the contributors to any punch through that may occur at any given distance and not VEIL.

In otherwords having something "absorbing" 99.9999999999% is no better than 90% or 99% even though (in this case) the first material is technically many many thousands of times [orders of magnitude] "darker" or "stronger."

This is just one aspect of stealth technology and while I tend to discourage public discussion of the internal technical details of our technologies -- which have other non-civilian applications -- I trust my explanation will help you guys understand enough of what we are really about. Please respect that.

Veil Guy 8)

JDS
06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Good post, Veil Guy. Now get us those IR photos! :D

hookem202
09-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Can you please take some new pics durring the day and post them.

onefastzx9r
09-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Put high beam halogens and you should get the brightness level back.

JonnyZero
10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
OT:
This is a Camry LE 4 cyl with 5-speed manual, VIN# starts w/ a J. Yes?

SuperSalad
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Yea those pics would be really awesome!

RusWolf
04-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Has anyone tried to spray it with a spray gun ?

TSi+WRX
04-26-2008, 02:50 PM
^ Search "airbrush" in the VEIL sub-Forum.

SpdFreak
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Subscribed