PDA

View Full Version : Laser Jammer detector ?

GeeM
07-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Hello,

I read several threads about the future of trafic enforcement. It seems that we are going to meet more and more lidar devices on the roads. Actually, most of you use laser jammers in different countries/states (where jammer are allowed or not!).
In many countries where RDs are illegal, there are Spectres RDD.

Why don't they use jammer detectors? I mean, it is easy to detect (a V1 could do that perfectly but I think Police could use something different for this job).

Jamming Error codes are not relevant on most lidar guns... so, is there any risk that jammers detector could arrive in Police equipement?

What do you guys think about it?

TQUILL
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
I don't think laser jammers work in such a way that they can be detected unless they are in the process of jamming. I don't believe they are constantly emitting a signal like radar detectors do, thus they would be difficult to detect because they are rarely emitting a signal. I think the only practical (see last sentence) way to have a laser jammer detector would be to have a gun similar to that of a lidar gun, one which you point at each car individually, and send a laser signal at the jammer so it thinks it's being hit by lidar, and the jammer detector would pick up the jammer's responding jamming signal. With this setup though, you may as well just be clocking his speed too , just like a lidar gun actually does.

Althought I think it is relatively easy to fool a lidar gun into thinking it's not being jammed. Updated jammers are calibrated so that the lidar gun being jammed has a hard time realizing it's being jammed. I think it would end up being similar to the radar detector vs radar detector detector battle (other than the STi of course) . Whichever equipment is newer, wins. So a newer detector would be immune to older detector detectors, and vice versa.

So in conclusion, a "laser jammer detector" would most likely be just updated and more accurate software put on lidar guns. I guess you could have a wide shooting lidar gun that's unable to calculate speed but can detect laser jammers, but I don't feel as if that's practical.

jimbonzzz
07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
As for detecting a jammer when it is being shot:

Separate laser jammer detectors do exist:
http://www.ottery.com/LJD%20A5.pdf

IMHO, a separate laser jammer detector is at a disadvantage because it doesn't know how the gun's pulses are timed. Also it might be difficult for it to discern between valid reflected pulses from the gun and actual jamming pulses.

The regular jam code feature in most laser guns should be adequate for most situations, and has the advantage of knowing how the gun's pulses are timed.

As far as a jammer being detected when it isn't being shot:

Some of the laser diode jammers do pulse every so often to keep the laser diode warmed up and for the parking sensor feature. They could make a detector for that, but of course it would probably be detecting a lot of valid devices, like parking sensors, laser cruise control, etc....

TQUILL
07-12-2007, 07:31 AM

IMHO, a separate laser jammer detector is at a disadvantage because it doesn't know how the gun's pulses are timed. Also it might be difficult for it to discern between valid reflected pulses from the gun and actual jamming pulses.

The regular jam code feature in most laser guns should be adequate for most situations, and has the advantage of knowing how the gun's pulses are timed.

Some of the laser diode jammers do pulse every so often to keep the laser diode warmed up and for the parking sensor feature. They could make a detector for that, but of course it would probably be detecting a lot of valid devices, like parking sensors, laser cruise control, etc....

Dang you really are the professor as I've heard. Anyway, thanks for the info.

twentyseventy
07-12-2007, 09:36 AM

I was about to scoff at TQUILL's question, mainly b/c of the differences in how how radar/lidar are used and the way RDDs work. I had no idea that there was anything out there like this! It's not the most sophisticated unit by any means (and it costs about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a LIDAR gun itself), but it does exist. Crazy...

Abe Froman
07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, yes indeed it does exist. It's only a matter of time before it evolves, but, I figure it has a good ten years before anything of a technology challenge to the jammer companies well ahead of the curve.

Actually, if things were to get to a level where jammers were such a nuisance to LEO's that they would consider buying LJ Detectors, laws banning LJ's would take prominence superceding purchase of LJ detectors because after all, it's cheaper to just pass a law. Well, depending on who you are and where you are, heh heh...

Nonetheless, I think we have some challenges coming up over the next 5-10 years as LJ users.

GeeM
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your replies ;)

kpatz
07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
But... if laser jammer detectors do start to appear, it would be trivial to create a Laser Jammer Detector Jammer (LJDJ). Just attach a non-jamming device to the front of your car that emits IR pulses, and if enough people do this, the laser jammer detector falses so much as to be useless.

TQUILL
07-17-2007, 01:22 PM

I was about to scoff at TQUILL's question, mainly b/c of the differences in how how radar/lidar are used and the way RDDs work. I had no idea that there was anything out there like this! It's not the most sophisticated unit by any means (and it costs about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a LIDAR gun itself), but it does exist. Crazy...

Why were you going to scoff at me?