PDA

View Full Version : Veil & Homemade Anti Photo Plate cover Questions

SpdFreak
07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Veil & Homemade Anti Photo Plate cover Questions

I will be making a homemade Anti Photo Plate cover for my car.

Like most of these applications the plate or plastic infront of the plate has to be reflective to over expose the camera.

Heres the question: If the plate / plastic is reflective and the Veil isn't, one of the two, if not both won't work properly.

Question 2: Do I have to coat the front only with the Veil, or the front and rear?

Thanks

JDS
07-19-2007, 09:51 PM
(A) Anti-photo covers don't work.

(B) If it's reflective enough to even LOOK like it might work against speed cameras, it's DEFINITELY reflective enough to bounce a laser off of.

SpdFreak
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
So I shouldn't even think of keeping my front plate nice and shiny?

JDS
07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Nope. In fact, a good film of dirt and grime, while ugly, will help in addition to a Lasershield cover.

duhtroll
07-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Has anyone tested what VEIL will do to a laser shield? I have two laser shields on the way, and am considering VEIL also. However, just for the headlamps on my vehicle I don't want to spend $99. If I use it for the laser shield covers also, it might be worth it.

JDS
07-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I don't know about testing, but as I understand it, using Veil on Lasershield is redundant. According to The Veil Guy, a proper film of Veil absorbs 90% of 904nm laser per passthrough, so a reflected beam (passes through, bounces off the underlying surface, and passes back through) is being reduced by 99%. Lasershield should operate similarly. Hence, once you have covered your plate/lights/whatever, you're not going to gain anything by covering it even MORE, because the reflection from other stuff on your car is already more important.

Veil Guy
07-20-2007, 02:31 PM
JDS,

Your points are pretty much spot on, however I would like to offer some clarifying ones.

The LS works on a different mechanism than Veil.

We have actually found a marginal improvement to the performance of the LS with one light coating of Veil (perhaps another 50-100 feet in reduction).

I personally recommend the practice.

Veil Guy 8)

JDS
07-20-2007, 06:01 PM
How DOES Lasershield work?

duhtroll
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Basically it filters out the light used by the lidar and makes your plate almost completely non-reflective.

JDS
07-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Err, I mean how does it filter the light? VEIL does it by absorbing the light, does Lasershield diffract it or something?

ELVATO
07-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I always thought LS diffracted/diffused IR light. So I guess the light that doesn't get diffused, gets absorbed by Veil?

Veil Guy
07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
ELVATO,

Affirmative.

Veil Guy 8)