PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detector Detector Detector

richardboy316
07-27-2007, 07:37 AM
is there such a thing...like that detects if a spectre is scanning for RD leakage

repeter
07-27-2007, 07:55 AM
More importantly.. Are there radar detector detector detector detectors?

jdong
07-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes -- many if not most detectors come with a VG-2 detector that scans for VG-2 leakage.

As far as Spectre, it is unclear to me why nobody's made a spectre detector. They apparently leak very close to Ku-band although IIRC the signal shifts around during operation. In fact, there's been a few reports of a Ku-band detector falsing to Spectres, though it is unclear if that is indeed the case.

richardboy316
07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
jdong, two things
-does it detect the vg-2 before or after the vg-2 has detected you?
-the coding in you profile doesnt work

jdong
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
jdong, two things
-does it detect the vg-2 before or after the vg-2 has detected you?

For most detectors, the detector itself is VG-2 immune. Its leakage is on spectrums that the VG2 doesn't check for. It only alerts you for the sake of being a cop-detector.

For the ones that do leak on VG-2 detectable spectrums, the theory is to shut off the oscillator for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever after detecting VG-2. It's supposed to detect VG-2 before it detects you, but in testing it's shown to be quite flaky and inconsistent a design.

-the coding in you profile doesnt work

It should on Linux with iptables ;-)

Orbital75
07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry, this is a little off topic.....

As far as the Iptable is concerned, it worked fine on SmoothWall.
What I have done is just used the Adblock extension in Firefox.
It just keeps it from displaying.... works well.

jdong
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
lol, it's really awesome to see a population of *nix geeks here :)

I feel right at home.

*contemplates making a Radar Detector section at UbuntuForums....* :D

TPS_Radar_Instructor
07-29-2007, 07:21 PM
is there such a thing...like that detects if a spectre is scanning for RD leakage

I actually perform this demonstration in a class/lab I teach.

I start off with turning on a Cobra 9400 and hit it with an X band gun. It then gives an X band voice alert and then I turn on the VG-2 Interceptor (radar detector detector).

The Cobra then gives the voice alert “VG-2” (radar detector detector detector).

I then turn on the Spectre III and the Spectre III detects the Cobra while the Cobra doesn’t detect it (radar detector detector detector detector).

For most detectors, the detector itself is VG-2 immune. Its leakage is on spectrums that the VG2 doesn't check for. It only alerts you for the sake of being a cop-detector.

For the ones that do leak on VG-2 detectable spectrums, the theory is to shut off the oscillator for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever after detecting VG-2. It's supposed to detect VG-2 before it detects you, but in testing it's shown to be quite flaky and inconsistent a design.

I also do the same thing with a Whistler 1788 since it shuts down the oscillator and leaves you vulnerable as jdong mentioned.

jdong
07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the previous-generation Whistlers (before the XTR-690/Pro-78) do the VG2 hide-and-seek thing. If it picks up VG2, it'll print VG2 on screen and shut off the oscillator for 30 seconds. The VG2 alert will persist this time. It will check for VG2 again in 30 second intervals, and when it finally fails to find VG-2, it sounds a double-beep all clear tone.

Phillip559
07-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes -- many if not most detectors come with a VG-2 detector that scans for VG-2 leakage.

As far as Spectre, it is unclear to me why nobody's made a spectre detector. They apparently leak very close to Ku-band although IIRC the signal shifts around during operation. In fact, there's been a few reports of a Ku-band detector falsing to Spectres, though it is unclear if that is indeed the case.

I don't believe the V1 has a "vg2" detection feature or bell products such as the 995. However, I believe Cobra does have a feature like that though.

KnightHawk
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM

I actually perform this demonstration in a class/lab I teach.

I start off with turning on a Cobra 9400 and hit it with an X band gun. It then gives an X band voice alert and then I turn on the VG-2 Interceptor (radar detector detector).

The Cobra then gives the voice alert “VG-2” (radar detector detector detector).

I then turn on the Spectre III and the Spectre III detects the Cobra while the Cobra doesn’t detect it (radar detector detector detector detector).

I also do the same thing with a Whistler 1788 since it shuts down the oscillator and leaves you vulnerable as jdong mentioned.

Not only does the VG2 detect radar detectors, it also detects a radar source specially the stalker Ka 34.7ghz. I was running VG2 one day and picked up LEO. Did the test the following day with the ATR for confirmation. Here's the rest of the thread.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=26292&highlight=vg2

Here's the video done by Kpatz.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=26336

insertquarter
07-29-2007, 10:38 PM

That Meanz we Need 2 Stay 1 Step Ahead of the Game. Some1, Quick, Create a Radar Detector Detector Detector Detector Detector!

*Head Explodes*

JDS
07-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Since a "Radar Detector Detector Detector" is always built into a Radar Detector, you would never need a "Radar Detector Detector Detector Detector" because you can just use a Radar Detector Detector so find the RD that the RDDD is built into.

I hope everybody understands that...

EDIT: In other words, as long as your Spectre/VG-2 detection is built into a regular RD, you can always use the Spectre to detect the Spectre Detector. Yes that rhymes, nothing I can do about it.

insertquarter
07-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Yes, But Wat About Having 2 Find a Radar Detector Detector Detector Detector Detector Detector?

JDS
07-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh go away.

insertquarter
07-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Alas, It Must b Undetectable...