PDA

View Full Version : Veil on a '05 Avalanche?

mikeeo
08-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a black Avalanche (good thing), but the grill is chrome and it has a alot of head light surface and I was wonderting if veil is even worth it?

I was lazer'd in Wilmington,DE (Stalker LZ-1) my Pro-78 went of for a quick second and I assumed he had my speed fairly quickly ( I was doing PSL). Anyone out there using veil on a truck or SUV?

JDS
08-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Would you consider blacking out the grille? If it makes you feel better, think of it as the "sport" or "Euro" look ( :lol: :lol: :lol: at a "Euro" or "sport" Avalanche). You could replace it with a black one, or you could buy a Duplicolor rattle can of whatever shade of black you like, and one of clearcoat, then just lightly sand the chrome, spray a few coats of black, and spray a few coats of clearcoat. I did that on my rear VW badge when the chrome got pitted and it looks really good now.

As long as you have that chrome, the Veil probably won't help you much. Avalanche grilles are BIG, if I were a LEO, I might not even bother aiming for your headlights.

Veil might help if you had a jammer, but even then...I still think it's Veil + grille, or neither.

McArcane
08-20-2007, 01:20 AM
murder the grill out, it will make the truck look much better them with the big chrome grill and eliminate a huge reflection point up front.

TSi+WRX
08-20-2007, 09:53 AM
VEIL does do a good number on the Stalker - I'd go ahead and do it, if that's indeed your primary laser threat.

Also, take our fellow hobbyists' suggestions into consideration. :)

Passive protection is truly synergistic (even moreso when paired with active protection measures!), and any time you can pair-up more than one, it'll net you with protection that's greater than the sum of its parts.

----

PS: mikeeo, do you have a front plate?

mikeeo
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I checked out my front grille and its not as bad as I thought. Only a 2 inch chrome band comes across the grille with the chevy emblem, is veil effective on chrome?

No front plates in Delaware :)

JDS
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
is veil effective on chrome?Yes, BUT...

...it can be very difficult to apply well. Apparently the solution for applying VEIL to chrome is that you need to get one of those airbrush guns used for applying paint in model making, and run the Veil through it in multiple light coats.