PDA

View Full Version : Veil Users Should Read This Post

Veil Guy
09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Guys (and Gals),

Our staff made an interesting discovery this afternoon during an internal product field test.

Using both an LTI and an LZ1 we determined that we were picking-up a hot-spot from a late model Honda Civic. We quickly determined that the source [of the hot-spot] was not anything covered with Veil. The hot-spot was not always picked-up by the gun, but if was enough for us to want to investigate the phenomenon, further.

After several trial-and-error configurations we believe we located the "hot-spot"...it was the radio antenna that was fully extended above the driver's side windscreen.

When we retracted the antenna, the hot-spot disappeared and the punch-through distance noticeably fell when targeting the driver's side of the vehicle with either police laser gun.

We felt it an important enough development to make an announcement here. If you have such an antenna just be aware of the possibility of it contributing to your laser targeting profile.

This just goes to show: when it comes to being stealth, your are only as stealth as your weakest link; I believe, it pays to keep these things in mind when attempting to achieve a maximum stealth profile and a minimal residual laser cross-section of your vehicle or motorcycle.

Have a nice labor day holiday, all.

Veil Guy 8)

ELVATO
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Does windscreen=windshield?

Yes! My Expy has no antenna :D

JDS
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Does windscreen=windshield?DUH. ( :lol: jk)

That's a good point, Veil Guy...you really have to consider the little things.

Regis
09-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm guessing Veiling the antenna would also solve the problem?

JDS
09-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Why use Veil?

The whole point of Veil is that it's mostly transparent to visible light, making it possible to coat headlights and license plates.

With metal parts, just painting them black is cheaper, easier, and more effective.

Veil Guy
09-07-2007, 04:53 AM
I thought about that, and it would certainly remove the hot-spot as well...but the reason, I didn't suggest this was because, honestly, I don't know how Veil would hold up on an antenna that may be repeatedly extended and/or retracted.

I didn't want to recommend something that I personally have now experience with for any extended period of time.

I felt the more responsible thing to do was to merely mention our experiences in the context of issues one may have to overcome when trying to stealth a vehicle and/or improve the performance of a jammer set-up.

Veil Guy 8)

cr500
10-30-2007, 02:39 AM
I use a black rubber coated CB UHF arial. I dont suppose this will cause a hot spot will it????

JDS
10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
The reason an antenna would cause a hotspot is that many antennae are shiny silver metal. If it's black rubber, you have no problem.