PDA

View Full Version : Laser jammers as detectors

TheGame
08-01-2005, 02:01 PM
With all the talk about which jammer is best, I think it's important to recognize the laser jammer's function as a detector as well. Laser detection from a windshield-mounted detector is precarious at best and by the time it goes off it may be too late to hit the brakes. With jammer transceivers mounted in the grill where the officer is aiming and plenty of Veil on the front of my car, even if the jammer isn't a miracle worker, it will still notify me of a laser hit and I'll likely have a lot more time to hit the brakes and avoid a ticket than with a windshield-mounted detector alone. Keep this in mind when scrutinizing close punch-thru numbers and other test data. And don't skip on the Veil just because you have a jammer!

computersoc
08-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Will a laser jammer alert to scatter, or say if the car in front of you is shot, and your detector goes off for the rare reason? Or will it only alert if you, alone, are shot?

I might get a laser jammer and an X50, or I might get some laser countermeasures and a V1.

jbird
08-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Will a laser jammer alert to scatter, or say if the car in front of you is shot, and your detector goes off for the rare reason? Or will it only alert if you, alone, are shot?

I might get a laser jammer and an X50, or I might get some laser countermeasures and a V1.

Most laser jammers will only alert to a direct hit although they tend to have pretty good off-axis detection of laser. Even at close range my Blinders alert if I aim with my cheap laser gun at any part of the front or rear of the car. Whenever my Blinders go off, I usually see an officer aiming at me eventually unless it is at night when they can hide pretty well.

You should really consider a laser jammer, the Laser Shield, and Veil no whatever radar detector you decide to purchase. The V1's radical laser detection is awesome, but it is useless if the cop is aiming directly at you at close range. If you expect to get away with speeding after a direct laser hit you should get as many active and passive laser countermeasures as you can and reduce speed ASAP when targeted.

jimbonzzz
08-02-2005, 05:42 AM
In our testing, we got the impression that the Lidatek's laser detection was pretty good, almost as good as the V1's.

Jim

TheGame
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Here's the thing: without a jammer, my RD is mounted very low on my windshield to hopefully detect direct hits before it's too late. If I mount it up high, which I plan to do for concealment anyway, it'll pick up scatter better. So with the jammer installed and the RD up at the top of the windshield, I'll have jamming/detection on direct hits and detection of scatter as well.

Either way I think both a good RD and a jammer w/Veil is a necessity. You have to have them all for adequate protection.

computersoc
08-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Even with a good detector (other than V1), my concern is, if you have every countermeasure other than a jammer (such as, license plate cover and Veil), it's possible you wouldn't even know if you're getting shot with laser. With a V1, you might, but I'm leaning more towards an X50. Confused. :shock:

TheGame
08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Even with a good detector (other than V1), my concern is, if you have every countermeasure other than a jammer (such as, license plate cover and Veil), it's possible you wouldn't even know if you're getting shot with laser. With a V1, you might, but I'm leaning more towards an X50. Confused. :shock:

That's my point. The only good laser detector is a jammer. If that makes sense.

stiGuy
08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd still like to see an assessment of the effectiveness of jammers as detectors.

The SML results show that, for example, the Zr3 only jammed the Stalker twice out of six trys at 500' and never at 1000'. Did the Zr3 alert and attempt to jam, or was it silent? Always? 50% of the time? 80% of the time? etc.

My hope is that all jammers are alerting and attempting to jam 100% of the time, and when they fail, it's because they're experiencing punch through, but it's also possible that the jammer doesn't even know it's supposed to be jamming, and that's the reason for the failure, right?

-tig

drive-smart
09-08-2005, 12:28 PM
We have shipped a Drivesmart GPS system and our external Pulse Master system to Roy/Stalker/Lod to test.
We also think its important to have a good laser detector,Our system will store GPS locations of where you get hit and warn you in future when coming to these locations and also they are direction specific alerts with speed limit warnings for that section of road!

Longsnowsm
09-08-2005, 07:53 PM
drive-smart,
This is good news. I think we are all looking forward to seeing how your product performs. Thanks for keeping us updated on the status of the prototypes and testing.

Longsnowsm