PDA

View Full Version : Using a laser jammer in VA/DC

dgessler
08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm planning on picking up a Blinder M-20 for my 1999 Nissan Maxima soon, but before I do so, I wanted to get some opinions on whether it will even be worth it to use in Virginia, where detectors are illegal.

1) Just to confirm, are laser jammers illegal in Virginia?

2) Do you guys think the cops here will get very suspicious if I send them an E04 considering detectors are illegal? Which brings me to the next question..

3) Does the jammer send the cop an E04 DIRECTLY after I hear my jammer sound off, or does the cop get E04 only after I've been jamming him for a while?

Thanks guys.
Dan

SpeedFreak
08-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Jammers are illegal in Virginia http://www.radarbusters.com/support/laws/radar-detector-laws-detail.asp?ID_number=48 If a cops sees a Jamming code on hes Laser gun and cant get your speed hes gonna stop you for sure. Jamming codes appears most of the time as soon as your jammer starts to jam. If you slow down and turn it off mayble youll have a chance.

stealthJamal
08-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Jammers are illegal in Virginia http://www.radarbusters.com/support/laws/radar-detector-laws-detail.asp?ID_number=48 If a cops sees a Jamming code on hes Laser gun and cant get your speed hes gonna stop you for sure. Jamming codes appears most of the time as soon as your jammer starts to jam. If you slow down and turn it off mayble youll have a chance.

The part in bold I disagree with. I think that most VA cops would not leave their set up and go after you to hand you a $40 ticket with no points. There is other traffic, the cop can easily target a car going 80mph+ or 20 over the limit and write them a reckless driving ticket which is a criminal offense and 6 points. Maybe if the cop is really bored and there is no other cars on the road he might come after you. I would bet that most cops in VA would not even know what the code means. The code will be brief if you slow down and turn the M20 off. M20 does pretty good with not displaying codes except with the Stalker LZ1. Your most likely gonna get lasered by a Pro Laser III in VA, so there probably won't be any codes displayed anyway. You should be ok, unless you jam the thestampcollector's laser gun. :D

SpeedFreak
08-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Its really hard to tell, we are not in cops mind stealthJamal , if you come to a sneaky a$$ cop, he lasers you and cant get your speed for seconds you dont know whats gonna happen. You always got to expect the worst things if you want to play with them.

smashr
08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
I've only encountered laser once in VA - a Fairfax county LEO on rt 66 westbound around centreville. I understand the county LEOs like to setup laser on rt7100 as well. However, once you get out of ffx county and hit some of the more rural areas it is going to be almost all radar.

I would say you would be mostly safe, as long as it works as advertised. Cops are happy to write you a speeding ticket AND a radar ticket, but to chase you on the off chance that you have a jammer if they didn't clock your speed would be a waste of their time.

Also, detectors are rather rare within VA - thats why you see so many constant on traps, jammers are even rarer, your average LEO isnt going to take jamming codes that serously

stealthJamal
08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I've only encountered laser once in VA - a Fairfax county LEO on rt 66 westbound around centreville. I understand the county LEOs like to setup laser on rt7100 as well. However, once you get out of ffx county and hit some of the more rural areas it is going to be almost all radar.

I would say you would be mostly safe, as long as it works as advertised. Cops are happy to write you a speeding ticket AND a radar ticket, but to chase you on the off chance that you have a jammer if they didn't clock your speed would be a waste of their time.

Also, detectors are rather rare within VA - thats why you see so many constant on traps, jammers are even rarer, your average LEO isnt going to take jamming codes that serously

True dat. Laser is mostly in Fairfax/VA Beach area of VA for local LEO. State police could be using it anywhere even though they use mostly radar. Fairfax uses laser because the traffic gets really dense and radar becomes useless.