4. One Laser Shield with Veil G4 - single coat, one without side by side
Cure time on Veil 29 hours in controlled conditions - 78* 30% Humidity
Second Laser shield straight from package, both attached via paper clip

You decide, GigEm!.....

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/HitSST/DSC00094.jpg
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/HitSST/DSC00095.jpg

Stealth Stalker
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Sweet. Got a pic without IR? Just curious as to how dark a single layer of Veil makes the LS. Too dark = cop hassle.

WK446
09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Very interesting. Thank you for taking the time and describing the conditions.

Lucky225
09-11-2008, 01:21 AM
nice, I'd like to see a Bell Clear Cover($5 @ wally world) with veil as well for comparison, but that's for another day I guess

TSi+WRX
09-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Nice!!!!

Thanks! :)

I think I might just purchase another set of LaserShields, and give VEIL'ing them a try, to see if the aesthetics are passable (enforcement-speaking).

Thanks again!

mswlogo
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Everything is relative and you have to balance everything with risk of being pulled over.

Give that the laser shield gets rid of 95% IR compared to 97% IR with laser shield plus veil. Why bother, given that in VISIBLE light (which you didn't show) the laser shield probable drops 40% and may just cause you grief. Even a bare laser shield is risky and easy to explain your way out of it if you did get pulled over. Why not just put black cardboard over it and shoot for 100%. The point is, there is a tradeoff point of too obvious vs good enough protection.

Be nice to show for reference what no shield looks like (you get some idea with the holes in the laser shield) and what they look like in daylight.

Aggie
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Conditions for "Daylight shots

Attached via paper clip so they are not quite snug against the plate. The letters are MUCH clearer when "snugged" against the plate. I think a plain Laser Shield would pass the muster at speed and really only becomes obvious at 30'.
Used the same camera to keep quality/aspect/Light compensation as close as possible. Sony DCRTRV33
Picture inside was taken using 3 overhead 60 watt bulbs
Outside picture was taken in partly cloudy sky. Morning sun from the behind and right of the camera. Sorry I had to dodge some clouds - darn hurricane!

Inside
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/HitSST/DSC00098.jpg
Outside
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/HitSST/DSC00103.jpg

TSi+WRX
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
^ Hum......

I could *probably* get away with that, on the front of my car......

Stealth Stalker
09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
^ Hum......

I could *probably* get away with that, on the front of my car......
Yeah, I'm going to give it a try on the front. No way on the back, though. It would take a seriously bored cop to do a U-turn and hassle you for the front LP. But most any cop would gig you for it if he was already right behind you and saw the rear LP like that.

Thanks for the posts, Aggie! Very helpful stuff!

TSi+WRX
09-13-2008, 09:47 AM
^ I agree.

The fact that I have an enforcer on my six or off my rear quarters at least twice a week (not that I'm doing anything wrong at all, just that it's the way traffic gets around here) is precisely why I set up my rear passive defense in the way that I have. I just don't want the *potential* hassles, no matter how unlikely (here in NE-Ohio, "blue" tinted covers or even "smoked" covers," as long as they allow visibility at night, typically aren't hassled - but why take the chance? particularly when my utmost aim is just not to be stopped, in the first place).

I *think* I could get away with it up-front, but until I test this out, myself, I just won't know, for sure.

Still, those pix are very, very good reference! Thanks again, Aggie

Aoshi
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
It would take a seriously bored cop to do a U-turn and hassle you for the front LP.

I had just such a cop pull me over earlier this year, downtown Toronto, 5:25pm on one of the most major streets (Bloor St E. at Church). He actually pulled a U-Turn in stop/start traffic, took 5 min to get up to me and blocked an entire lane to write me up.

This is typical behavior here...

Stealth Stalker
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I had just such a cop pull me over earlier this year, downtown Toronto, 5:25pm on one of the most major streets (Bloor St E. at Church). He actually pulled a U-Turn in stop/start traffic, took 5 min to get up to me and blocked an entire lane to write me up.
For a Veiled front LP?

WK446
09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Aoshi: Is your vehicle heavily modified? loud exhaust, tinted windows, etc...?

Aoshi
09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
got ticketed for a tinted plate, and no, I drive a late model 4 door sedan with a factory tint window, and factory exhaust... nothing at all about the car says
"look at me"...

As I said, par for the course here with Toronto cops.. every encounter with them is always a joy.

Another point to prove - the city hired a contractor to install red light cameras and they're apparently behind schedule and the city is complaing 'That we are losing 3 million dollars in revenue every year this project is behind schedule!'

Yeap, not a peep about safety.. just lost revenue.. Hope you all understand why I take such drastic (and expensive) measures to protect myself.

Aggie
09-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I empathise with you. However red light cameras are ONLY for revenue everywhere. Safety is just a cover to make the sheep of the nanny state accept them. It has been proven more times than not (in studies) that they do not reduce accidents, in fact, they increase minor accidents. Also they have not been proven to eliminate severe accidents, only extending the yellow timing based on PSL of the road has impacted all types of accidents. But a yellow does not make money.

Stealth Stalker
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
What is really funny is that they say, "every year this project is behind"! Not "every month" or "every week". So basically, this company sells them a bill of goods and defaults on the contract to set up the system within a prescribed time frame, yet the city won't even think of cancelling the contract because they are positively salivating over the eventual windfall the system will bring, regardless of how long it takes.

Aoshi
09-18-2008, 05:24 AM
yeap. we're getting HUNDREDS of these things... They started with them a few years back and they started dancing when they realized the revenue from this.

TSi+WRX
09-18-2008, 06:30 AM
For a Veiled front LP?

Aoshi: Is your vehicle heavily modified? loud exhaust, tinted windows, etc...?

I can sympathize/empathize with Aoshi.

Several cities/townships around here are just as bad.

One even choose to enforce a non-existent "red-by-sight" tail-light law, even going so far as to pull over vehicles which, factory-stock, had tail-lights that these over-zealous and ignorant enforcers thought were aftermarket/modifications. :rolleyes: