PDA

View Full Version : Testing question w/range finder

Longsnowsm
09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I have seen a few of the laser range finders that have a speed reading. I have seen others mention that they used one of these to test their jammer. Would this work to actually see if the jammer is jamming? I know from what I have read that it will cause the jammer and RD to alarm on laser, but will it actually be jammed by the jammer? If so what kind of error or indication would I get? I am looking at an Osprey range finder with speed reading. Thoughts on ways to test jamming capablity without a police lidar gun?

Longsnowsm

brick
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm willing to bet that those are incredibly easy to jam. It won't give you much of an indication as to how the jammer would work against a modern LIDAR gun but it should at least let you know that the jammer is receiving and transmitting.

kpatz
09-06-2005, 03:29 PM
I doubt the Osprey or Bushnell rangefinders will display error codes either. You just won't get a speed reading.

stalker
09-06-2005, 05:00 PM
The osprey will show "LOSE" or just 3 dots, no error codes. I was attaining a cars speed using a Osprey at 800mtrs the other day...

X50 Radar Kid
09-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a couple of questions about this Osprey Range finder....I always thought laser has to be aimed at something reflective like a headlight or license plate....but the description says you can aim it at deer and everthing else? So I was wondering to find the feet to a certain thing it doesn't have to be reflective??? Say you want to see how far it is to that light pole 500 feet down the road. You just have to point it at it and it displays the feet?? And if I am correct in saying that I guess in order to get a speed though you have to aim it at a headlight or something reflective?? But you can't be moving though right?
Thanks for your help....I am thinking about getting one because I could also use one in our construction business provided that there is no minimum distance it can't read.... :?

stalker
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
yes i also use it in my job to get distances off a non reflective surface... with a reflective surface it allows you to get a further reading than a non reflective surface...

Say a wall 300 mtrs away will still give me a reading but 500mtrs away it wont unless I shine it on somthing reflective.

We also use it when Bow shooting for fake animal targets etc...

I have even shot it at a person walking and it displays a reading...after they go into fits and passout from nerve damage ;)

X50 Radar Kid
09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
You can't be moving though can you stalker?? :shock:
And there isn't a minimum that you can't see the distance of something?

stalker
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
thats correct,all laser must be stationary, min dist i have measured is 1 mtr

X50 Radar Kid
09-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks for replying so quickly stalker....I have one more question.
I got to thinking about whether the blinder or any other jammer would jam the osprey...but I have come to a conclusion that I think that it may not jam the distance or range finder of it but if you were trying to clock your car that had the jammer on it ....it should jam the speed part of it ....I would think. I don't know if you know much about this question or whether you know if its the standard 904mn ....it should say in the manual... :?

stalker
09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
osprey is 904, jammer will jam speed and should jam distance too, ill be testing one soon, so ill let u know

RacerX
09-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I have an osprey and did some testing and here’s what I found.

The jammer (Blinder) will jam it. The opsprey gives range in yards and meters and speed in mph or km, but not both at the same time, meaning if you set it for speed, it doesn’t show distance at the same time and vice versa.
When I was doing some jammer testing it would either not get a speed reading or it would occasionally show an erroneous speed like 180 mph or something.

The osprey seems very picky to how off axis you are. The more straight on with the target the easier for speed readings. I also found it much easier to clock vehicles going away than coming towards.

With my current setup I can JTG at speeds above 30-40 mph. At slow speeds I’ll usually get punch through at around 50-100 feet.

I also played with rear protection and can get fairly consistent JFG once I am about 200-300 feet away.

If I would shoot distance at say 15-20 yards, I can get it to show an erroneous reading of about 1500-1800 yards. Oddly enough though, this wasn’t completely consistent though.

I found the osprey to be most valuable for head placement. The way I have my truck setup, 5 heads covers it well, regardless of where I shoot.

One thing, for some reason, mine doesn’t like to give me distance if I am closer than about 15 yards, regardless of what I shoot at.
Measuring it off, I can shoot the osprey at my truck from about 20 feet away and the blinder alerts every time no matter where I shoot. Seeing as the beam is rather narrow at this distance, that’s pretty good.

Unfortunately, the viewfinder is a bit too small to hold a camcorder to, otherwise I would have gotten some video.

I would consider it a useful tool for head placement, and comparing readings before and after, but that’s about it. Now I also did this with a tripod since the osprey has a screw slot, which helps for stability.

On a side note, from about 2000 feet, the distance of this particular run area, both the blinder and my V1 will pick it up when being shot at from this distance. Even from the rear.
I don’t have the rear heads installed at the moment, since I’m still trying to figure out the best location.

Also, I’m working on testing the blinder with 2,3,4,5 heads up front against a lidar gun, to show jamming differences with a different number of heads. I’ll also do a bit more rear testing too.

Longsnowsm
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Racerx,
I would love to see how those distances and speed from the Osprey translate to a real laser gun... If they are even in the ball park I think that makes the Osprey a must have for testing our own setup with any of our countermeasures. Are you also using laser shield? Veil? Bra? Tested each countermeasure as you added them? Just curious. Your doing exactly what I am thinking about doing. :)

Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Do any of the other rangefinders do this same thing? Is there one out there that will show speed and distance at the same time? Maybe with a big enough view finder that a camera might work? Thoughts?

Longsnowsm

stalker
09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Racerx,
I would love to see how those distances and speed from the Osprey translate to a real laser gun... If they are even in the ball park I think that makes the Osprey a must have for testing our own setup with any of our countermeasures. Are you also using laser shield? Veil? Bra? Tested each countermeasure as you added them? Just curious. Your doing exactly what I am thinking about doing. :)

Longsnowsm

The osprey speed is spot on, I have tested sise by side witha Pro Laser 3 and they both read exactly the same.

RacerX
09-07-2005, 06:58 PM
this was with Veil. i'm going to re-do my Veil and i have a bra that i'm going to try.
i think at closer range, say 500-1000 feet max, the osprey will work similar to a real lidar gun for testing.

if you can wait a couple of weeks i can give a very detailed answer on this.

what i'll do is setup my test parameters, use the osprey with nothing, and 2,3,4,5 heads up front. then do it again with Veil, and then with Veil and a bra.
This will be a bit of work, but i'll do it if anyone would like to see the results.
Then i will be testing with a real lidar gun using 2,3,4,5 heads also. the base run will be with Veil and a bra, since i will be travelling to the gun and it would be too much time too remove the bra and veil, test and re-apply in one afternoon.
this will still show the jammer effectiveness from the base though.

Personally i'm wanting to obtain JTG everytime. if i don't get that with 5 heads, i'll put one more directly under each headlight and test it.
i don't have a front plate, these will be headlight shots and some "all over try to get a reading" shots.

i'm sure everyone would like to see a bunch of different testing done, but this is what i'll be limited to for the most part.
Either way it will be thoroughly documented and i plan on filming the lidar testing.

And yes, this should give us a pretty good idea how the two compare for testing purposes, especially since the osprey is easy to get and much cheaper than a lidar gun.

i think it's bushnell that may make one that does speed and distance at the same time, but don't quote me on that.
after looking around, it seemed like the osprey was the best deal in the performance/price category.

Oh, and as for speed, yes it seems accurate, unless the jammer would give it an off reading, like 100 extra mph's.

Probably my main complaint with mine anyway, was not always getting consistent readings from consistent distances with various vehicles, but i'm sure i could get this dialed in if need be to test my particular vehicle.

X50 Radar Kid
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Yes...please do that testing you're talking about. I will be eagerly waiting for what you found out. It's cool that little Osprey is just like a lidar gun. I will be getting one soon. There have good resale value on ebay too....they go for like $160 or more used so I could buy one and when I am done just sell it on Ebay. But I look forward to your tests... :D

Longsnowsm
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Racerx,

That would be perfect. If the results are comparable between a real gun and the osprey then I will be looking to buy one myself. This sounds fantastic and may answer at least some questions I will have about how stealthy my vehicles are... This is really good stuff! Please share your results. :)

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Well..................sure, i'll do it. :)

Once i get it done, i'll start a new thread on it, probably over in the Blinder section. i'll also post here to let everyone know that it's ready.

For the Osprey portion, i'll test it without any Veil or anything to get base runs. then i'll test it with Veil and with Veil and a bra.
The tests will be done with 2,3,4,and 5 heads for about 10 runs each.

This should give a decent comparison between each progressive step.

The lidar test will have a base run with Veil and the bra on, for reasons stated earlier, but will also be with 2,3,4, and 5 heads.

This should give a good comparison to how well the osprey is for testing purposes.
i'll start working on the Osprey test now, and i'll be doing the lidar test in about 2 weeks.

Longsnowsm
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Awesome! I can hardly wait to see your results. This should be interesting. :D

Longsnowsm

stalker
09-08-2005, 04:32 PM
i will also do some testing with the osprey an compare the results, this should give us a good indication....

RacerX
09-09-2005, 12:17 PM
That would be cool, i'd like to hear about your results and thoughts on the Osprey.

Well i started testing. once i make it more official, i'll start a new thread. here's what i found so far.

First, i'm going to modify the tests a bit. instead of ten runs, i'm going to do 5 unless there is a big variation, then i'll add 2 at a time.
The reason is, that i'm looking at 3 separate tests with the osprey and one with the lidar gun. each set of tests would include about 100 runs each.
Yesterday i wiped off the Veil (what a difference in shine and glare without it. after getting used to the Veil, i thought maybe it was getting worn down, but that's not the case, it was intact. good stuff.)

I only had a little over 2 hours to test it before it got dark yesterday, and these runs take a while. looking at the numbers, it appears 5 runs are just as consistent as 10.

comparing the 2 won't be an exact science for several reasons, but it should be close enough for what we want to do. here's why.

First, the osprey doesn't have any kind of continual transmit mode. meaning if it doesn't get a reading in a few seconds, it stops transmitting, so you must be ready to constantly trigger it when it stops transmitting. now it does show a little lighting bolt symbol when transmitting, so you know that it is.
secondly, as you all know, it doesn't do speed and distance at the same time. what i did was use some street signs for distance, and i placed a bucket ( it was handy) at about 500 feet and 750 feet.
now this is where the variations can come into play. while in constant communication with the driver, when i got a speed reading, i yelled "now" and they would tell me where they were in relation to the markers, so there can be some variations of actual distance, +- 20 feet or so.

third, the osprey runs on a 9 volt battery. mine started flashing the low batt indicator at the end of testing, so i recommend having spares handy, since range can be affected with a low batt.

Now having explained that, i'm going to take the osprey with me when i do the testing, so i can compare a few runs with the lidar gun, since i will have them both at the same location and time.

As for my testing so far, i believe the Veil had been working well, since i was getting more close range punch through, and longer distance readings without it, but we'll see how much when i re-apply and use the same location.
this location was a north/south location instead of an east/west like my initial test spot. i choose this to eliminate direct sun glare on the osprey and my truck.

now for some preliminary numbers. Left Headlight is facing vehicle (passenger side)

base runs nothing on: ( my truck that is :) )

LH= average 775'
RH= average 750'

all 5 heads on:

LH= average 120'
RH= average 140'

Now in a previous test, i was getting mostly JTG with Veil and 5 heads, but i believe that speed is a factor in that.
My initial tests were at 60 mph. these tests were at about 30-35 mph. *NOTE=this originally said 40 mph but after looking at data and speaking with driver it was determined most runs were closer to 30-35.

either way, i would have PLENTY of time to slow down.
Now in some impromtu shots, from over 2000' away, the Blinder and V1 picked up the laser long before it would get any readings.

I don't know if there are a lot of variations in the ospreys, but as you can see so far, it won't pull a speed over 850'. (best distance with nothing on)

Also, i had it on a tripod for the entire test.

i'm curious if stalker can get readings from further away. now from the rear, i can get a speed reading upwards of 1000' or more sometimes.

at this point, i'm getting more curious as to the difference in performance with the number and location of the heads.
i'm going to continue to work on this and test it with various configurations. i may continue to play with locations a bit more too. i believe having the bra on will also give me some leeway with placement, especially around the headlights.

well, i get the feeling this is going to turn into some major testing and then i can test the best setup against a real lidar gun.
i'll keep ya posted. :)

RacerX
09-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Ooopps... :oops:

One other important piece of info that i left out...Like how did i know it was jamming?

the osprey doesn't give "jam" codes. it either gets a reading or not, but it will also give indicators for too slow or if it doesn't get the reading correctly, it gives a "lose" display.
now what it was doing was either taking a bit longer than normal to transmit, and coming back with no speed, indicated by"----", or i was getting "0000", or "lose", or on several runs i would also get eroneous speed readings of 200 something mph or 600 something mph, etc.., until up close where it listed the correct speed, or at least close to it.

stalker
09-09-2005, 02:01 PM
hey good stuff, the Osprey will continually transmit...well atleast mine does, it will be interesting to compare the results, I will be testing on my SUV and WRX and I will also test with the Drivesmart Jammer once that is released, I also can get a hold of a Pro Laser 3 to use as well, so comparing will be interesting.

Keep up the good work.

Longsnowsm
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Excellent testiing... So far this is looking good. Too bad it cannot pickup speeds out at 1000+ ft. It should still be useful. So your baseline for all of these tests will now be 40mph? What kind of truck are you using in your tests? Lots of chrome?

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it just won't get anything close to consistent at that range, not from the front anyway.
here's a link to a pic of my truck.
http://www.radardetector.net/Blinder-install-front-and-rear-on-full-size-truck-3599t.php

it's a full size tundra double cab. fair amount of chrome.

my plan is/was to do a 30mph and 60 mph to compare. i picked 40 on this test as a median, so to speak.
i have more time today, so i'm going do more testing. i'll also play with speeds of about 30 and 60, to see if there is really any difference.

stalker,
does yours have a continual transmit mode for speed?
my manual says it does for distance, but doesn't say for speed. maybe i'm using the term wrong. if i push the action button, it will transmit, but only for a few seconds, even if it doesn't get speed, instead of transmitting for as long as necessary until it gets a lock. i'll play with it by holding the button down and seeing if it will stay transmitting until it gets a reading.
also, i found another cool feature. it has a memory mode that shows the last 10 readings, eather speed or distance, depending on the mode you're in. i'll make sure my driver stays at speed, and doesn't slow down at all as they approach, then i'll keep shooting, and not worry what the speed says. this way i can use the recall, because if it only shows half the speed, or something way off, then it would be a JTG as far as the osprey is concerned.

well off to test.
I'll be back.

stalker
09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Yes mine will continue to transmit untill it gets a lock, somtimes it will say lose but 99% of the time it will transmit while i have the button down and it will continue to track the speed untill it loses a lock on the car.

Man thats a hell of a lot of transponders for a car... sell the blinder and get an anti laser or drive smart (when released) My SUV has simalar amounts of chrome as yours...maybee more...1 drive smart head might do the job...Ill let you know when i get mine.

Here is a pic of mine, this is where i was going to put the laser mimic...but not any more..haha I will be mounting one head where the middle circle is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/radarman/newbillet_mimiic.jpg

RacerX
09-10-2005, 06:23 PM
okay, this was an interesting test day. good and bad.

first, i have changed the speed readings for the above data. they were closer to 30-35, not 40 and 40+. also i changed location for todays test. i will explain below why this is a critical factor.

Yes mine will continue to transmit untill it gets a lock, somtimes it will say lose but 99% of the time it will transmit while i have the button down and it will continue to track the speed untill it loses a lock on the car.

Man thats a hell of a lot of transponders for a car... sell the blinder and get an anti laser or drive smart (when released) My SUV has simalar amounts of chrome as yours...maybee more...1 drive smart head might do the job...Ill let you know when i get mine.

second, mine seems to transmit about the same whether i hold the button or push and release. it transmits for a few seconds, and even if it doesn't get a speed or "LOSE", it stops and says ready, so i have to hit it again.
tell me about it. this test with the lidar gun should tell me the minimum amount needed (hopefully).
yeah, i'd say the fronts are similar.

As a casual observation, i've noticed that sometimes the shape of a vehicle seemed easier to target than the size, at least with the osprey.
some smaller cars were easier to obtain readins on, when they were more "solid" in the front, meaning less open grill and face are.
now this isn't concrete by any means, just an observation.

on a side note, i did some long range runs and the Blinder would pick up the osprey from about a mile away. my V1 was picking it up from 1 to 2 miles away, depending on traffic in front of it. from the rear it could detect laser from almost 1 mile away.

Okay, i changed location today, to give me a longer straight away, plus this location would allow for faster speeds.
the location for the first round was not well suited for a long start, so i believe the truck was still getting up to speed as it approached targeting range, plus it was a bit cloudy out.
whatever the reasons, i was not getting close to the range i got yesterday. i was averaging closer to 400-500' instead of 750'+.
Now this was at 60 mph. at this speed i was also getting JTG almost every run, with an occasional "possible" punchthrough at maybe 20', but the speeds seemed low compared to what the driver reported.

Now this was driving me nuts. i couldn't figure out why i wasn't getting the distance, until i had the truck come at me slower. at slow speeds of about 30 mph i was back up to 700'+ range.
it appears the osprey has trouble locking a speed at higher range. at 70+mph, i was maybe getting 300', if that.

So with this development, it makes it a bit harder to compare the two.
i'll sort through the paperwork and post some numbers later.
As i suspected, speed does determine target lock range with the osprey, so it should be interesting to see if it does with the lidar gun.

this kinda threw off my comparison of fewer heads, but i did notice that with only 2 heads, i was getting lock more often at 20-30' as opposed to 5 heads with mostly JTG. 3 heads was about the same as 5. i never got around to testing 4, but at this point, i don't think it would matter much.

Now one thing that was interesting, was that with the Blinder off, i was not getting any readings at long range, as far as 2000' and longer. the display would show "----" which means it's not getting anything.
however, everytime i had the Blinder on, (2,3,5 heads) from that distance it would consistently show "LOSE" in the indicator, so clearly it was detecting something from the jammer. then occasionaly i would get an off the wall reading.
so at least we know it was doing something.

i would have like to report something more conclusive, but that's not the case. i'll use this same location when i put Veil on and the bra.
once i do the lidar test, maybe we can take from this info, and come up with how close we can get the osprey to compare, and how much it can help in jammer placement and testing.

one other thing about the osprey. it doesn't have a solid "dot" to pinpoint aim. it either has an open "cross hair" or a small "box". the box looks like it would fit in the cross hair. at about 1000' the whole truck fits in the box, so you have to center the headlight in the middle of the box. also the osprey has something like a 7x zoom built in, which helps for long distance, but throws you off a bit at close range.

stalker
09-10-2005, 06:43 PM
good stuff, i use the box display, have you tried jamming the osprey with the distance reading...

X50 Radar Kid
09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
You are doing some awsome testing racerX :D ....keep up the good work. I was thinking about buying a bushnell Speedster K band gun for about $150 but I think that I would rather get an Osprey Range finder because of the bonus feature of telling you distances. 8)
It seems like buying one of these Ospreys is a good buy and practical for telling you how well your jammers are doing.....and if they need to be moved or anything. :twisted:

RacerX
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
thanks guys. :)
yeah, it's a handy little tool. since i don't have a lidar gun for this first part of testing, we can only speculate as to how they compare, but it will be interesting to see how they compare together for the final tests.

as i'm looking over my notes and numbers from this last test, something got me thinking. Cosine error. on those runs where i was getting a reading from about 20' to gun, even though it got a speed, it seemed low compared to the speed of the vehicle. it was fairly consistent at about 29 mph, but the vehicle speeds were 10-20 mph faster.
since the osprey has a built in magnification on the lense, as the vehicle gets closer it fills up the lense quickly, and i had a tendency to continue tracking the vehicle, so i was moving the osprey towards the vehicle.
if i didn't move the osprey, and let the vehicle pass my field of vision, then those would have been JTG also, meaning i was JTG EVERY time with the jammer on.
i think one of the most interesting parts of this will be seeing how additional heads help out, and at what distances, since the lidar gun has long range power.
either way, we'll take this data, i'll test with Veil and then Veil and bra.

then when i test with the lidar gun, i'll do some runs with the osprey, so we can compare them side by side at the same place and conditions.

good stuff, i use the box display, have you tried jamming the osprey with the distance reading...

Yeah, i agree, the box display is easier to use to center the target.
for some reason, i can't seem to jam the distance portion. not stationary anyway. whether the jammer is on or off, and whether i aim directly at it or next to it, i can still get distance readings. occasionaly i will get an off the wall reading, such as 1600 yds instead of 16, but nothing consistent.

i figured a jam on speed would be a jam on any signal.
maybe someone has an answer to this. :?

you bring up an interesting idea though. for the next tests, i think i will see what the longest distance is that i can get a distance reading on the truck, while stationary, so i know at what distance the osprey can "see" it. then along with the speed tests, i'll try a few distance tests while moving, with and without jammer, to see what i get.

what i'd like to do, is go a step or two beyond what happya$$ did in the video where he filmed the Blinder and Lidatek firing at night with his camcorder. if i can get a lense for mine, or maybe a cheap little camcorder that can film IR during the day, i could film all of this from a different perspective. we could actually see the osprey firing and the jammer reacting. plus, most importantly, we could see exactly where i'm aiming at all times, and see how quickly the laser beam narrows as the vehicle approaches. i think this would be the future of lidar testing, since you could precisely see where the unprotected areas are at a given distance. ( you heard it here first, i think. :) )

so if anyone has an idea on this do share. i would gladly film all of the testing this way. plus it would be cool to see how the lidar gun beam looks compared to the osprey beam. it's entirely possible that the osprey is just as powerful, but it doesn't have the built in circuitry to analyze the data as fast, so it's slower at locking on. maybe this is part of why i could get readings at further distance when the vehicle was going slower. the osprey is supposed to be able to get distance readings from as far as 4800' (1600 yds) away, and be able to do that consistently at about 4200' (1400 yds) from a small to medium size target, but it doesn't say the max range on speed readings.

so if anyone can point me in the lense/filter direction that would be cool. i'll also do some looking.

Won Hunglo
09-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I have enjoyed following this post. On question about the Osprey. I bought on about 5 years ago when they first came out & it was useless for range finding & speed. Sent it back. Looks like the newer models work better now. Have the displays been fixed? My old Osprey was so light you could barely make out the readings...if you got on. It also had a bunch of ink "floaters" in the display the manual called normal. I love the bright clear display on my Bushnell & the fast & reliable performance. Just wish it read speed like the Osprey.

stalker
09-14-2005, 05:06 AM
way better now..nice clear display

Won Hunglo
09-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks! Might have to order one.

RacerX
09-16-2005, 12:27 PM
okay, a few updates.
i've re-applied Veil, so tomorrow i'll test it with Veil, and Veil and a bra.

also, i'm headed to Roys next fri to test the blinder with stealth fix. given the current blinder fiasco, i will be testing against several guns, so i may not have time to do seperate osprey testing there, but that shouldn't be a problem. for the most part i can recreate the conditions here to test the osprey, to compare performance.

i've decided for simplicity, i'll post the osprey results here, and also put a link to the thread i will start when i publish the blinder results.
on that post i will put a link to here, since Longsnowsm started a great topic. then we can compare the osprey to lidar guns and everyone can decide from there.

Longsnowsm
09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
This is great news! So far the data you have accumulated is good experience. It should be great to see how the police guns compare in aquisition distance to the Osprey. That would be awesome if you can duplicate the speed and conditions when you get back so we can do some heads up comparisons.

It looks like the gun to beat these days is the LTI so I don't hold much hope that the Osprey will compare to that gun, but hopefully will be on par with at least one or two of them. If it is then I think I will be buying an Osprey soon to test my own countermeasures.

Thanks for the update. I am excited to see what happens from your testing.

Longsnowsm

stalker
09-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Id say it is on par withthe ProLaser 3

Longsnowsm
09-16-2005, 02:42 PM
That is exactly what I am hoping. If it shows a strong similarity in performance to one or more of the lidar guns then I think I will have to buy one soon. I already have stealthed up my car a little and would like to know what effective range it can be acquired. Then when I get the jammer installed I can compare that data. Sounds like the Osprey will at least give me a good idea what it will do. So far the results look promising.

Longsnowsm

stalker
09-16-2005, 03:01 PM
where r u located?? ill test it for you...

Longsnowsm
09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm in Colorado.

RacerX
09-18-2005, 12:28 PM
:x $&!:"#?&*
oh the humanity. I had this all typed up and we had a power outage.
it'll take forever on this phone so i'll post later when I get power.

cliffs notes version:
veil did help on close range and the bra helped further. i'll post details later. some other good info too.

RacerX
09-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Okay, lets try this again.
Here are the averaged results. First, they aren’t scientific by any means, since the osprey doesn’t do range and speed. The ranges are approximate, 20-50' leeway. when I got speed I told the driver, and they told me approximate distance to range markers, and I also confirmed with visual estimation. For the intended purpose it doesn’t have to be exact. As you’ll see by the numbers, Veil did help some in close range targeting, and the bra seemed to help even more. In fact, the driver commented that they were practically on top of me before I got a speed reading, with Veil and the bra.

speeds for these tests were 30 and 60 mph, at the same location. PH=passenger headlight, DH=driver headlight. I did some center mass shots too, and they seemed to be right around the same range as headlight shots.

First, the results:

Base run, NO Veil or bra:

30mph.........60mph
PH=700'......550'
DH=620'.....500'

Base run, with Veil:

30mph.........60mph
PH=600'......500'
DH=500'.....425'

Base run Veil and bra:

30mph.........60mph
PH=450'......350'
DH=375'.....300'

Well, there it is. i wasn't sure if Veil would do much this close up, but it did cut down range some, which is nice. the bra actually surprised me a bit. i have a dark vehicle anyway, but it completely covers one chrome strip, and it has a mesh in front of the grill, which may help block some of the chrome, even though it had a light coat of Veil on it. once i install the new Blinders, i'll be cutting out the mesh around the heads, so there is no blockage of them.
i'll also have pics and videos for the lidar test.

Now, for some interesting observations.
i was sampling other cars in between runs, and i noticed that sometimes i could clock smaller darker vehicles from further away than lighter larger vehicles. it seemed like the more solid the front end, the easier to clock.

also, the slower vehicles were going, the easier it was to lock on with the osprey.

the most interesting part was rear clocking. i could easily clock my truck from over 1800' to the rear. :shock: i was able to clock small cars upwards of 1200-1500'. it was easier to clock a small car to the rear, than a vehicle with a larger surface area from the front. i don't know if the osprey has trouble calculating oncoming speed as opposed to a vehicle travelling away, or what.
now one other thing to keep in mind was that we don't have front plates here, only rear, so maybe that was a factor, who knows.

anyway, this should help out anyone deciding on getting an osprey or similar device. once i do the tests with the lidar guns next week, i'll repeat some of the same tests, using similar conditions (weather, time of day, direction, etc) so we can get an overall idea of how the two compare.

i also look forward to stalkers result, to see how things compare.

whew. done. (almost) :)

Longsnowsm
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Wow, that is incredible! Those rear shots tell me that if they are accurate that the Osprey is a terrific tool! Did you try clocking a speed on your truck from the rear to see if the speed it says is accurate? That would at least imply that the distance your getting is good. Very good stuff. Have you Veiled and Laser Shielded the rear of your truck?

That is very good to know about the bra. I have always thought that the Veil/Bra combo would work well, but have not seen anyone quantify the numbers. That is how I have my car setup so this is good news. Interesting to see the percentage of decreased distance between just Veil, and then the bra. I would love to see the percentages come in similarly with the Lidar gun even if the distances are not the same.

Well it looks like an Osprey is in my future. This tool is starting to sound like just the thing for lidar proofing our vehicles. You sold me after seeing these numbers. I can hardly wait to see what you come up with on the next round of tests. I am ordering an Osprey.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-19-2005, 11:35 AM
usually the speed was right on. there were a few times though, where it appeared to be off though, by as much as 10 mph or more.

at some point between now and the comparison test, i'll break out the radar gun and concentrate on checking the accuracy of the osprey by doing a side by side test for speed accuracy.

this upcoming test with real lidar guns will tell all. when i was working on head placement, i used the osprey for this. from about 30' away or so, the setup i have will alert to laser no matter where i shoot on the truck. this gives me overall coverage, so we'll see if it gives me good jamming coverage too.

how this translates to jamming performance remains to be seen. for instance, maybe i don't need the fifth one in the middle, since i have no front plate, or maybe the heads next to the headlights need to be under for better performance, leaving a technical "gap" in coverage?
either way we'll find out. the testing should answer a lot of questions.

Yeah, the bra actually surprised me quite a bit. my truck is somewhat dark, but maybe the matte fiish of the bra works better than the smooth clear finish of my paint?
maybe the mesh in the middle helped absorb/deflect it?
when i post pics you'll see it.
it was funny, beacuse the driver kept saying that they felt like they were right on top of me before i got a speed.

Haven't done Veil or laser shield on rear yet. i have a superprotector that i'll Veil, and i'll do the tailights. i'm sure my chrome bumper doesn't help either. i've been kicking around the idea of Veiling it, but we'll see.

if you order one, make sure it has speed on it. i thought i saw one that didn't but i'm not positive. maybe they all have it. mine is the Osprey EMC4 Comet, laser range finder w/ speed monocular.

Longsnowsm
09-19-2005, 09:31 PM
RacerX,
I think the deal with the bra can be seen at night with a camera. Take a pic of the truck without the bra and with it. I think you will find that many of the spots that are shining in the naked shot mostly go away in the bra shot. At least with my car that is what I noticed. The bra is a duller finish and doesn't reflect nearly as much light back. I have been hoping that I would see some numbers out here that would show the difference. Yours are the first I have seen. I am hoping to see this for myself in my own tests.

I think you have gone about this exactly as I hope to do mine. The Osprey appears to have given you the ability to pinpoint weaknesses in the jammer at close distances. I think your going to get some fantastic numbers even with a full sized truck. I also have a full sized SUV that is a LIDAR nightmare that I am hoping that if I get good results with my day to day work car I can maybe take on the impossible with the truck. I look forward to seeing how your testing turns out. I will be curious to see if you need the center jammer head. What is the approximate distance between the heads without the center head?

Well I snagged an Osprey on ebay. So now I am just waiting for my new toy to show up. If I ever get my honeydo list knocked down to size I will plan on doing some testing next month with the Osprey.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-20-2005, 11:04 PM
It's funny you mention the camera trick. back when i first got Veil i did that, and i also took a few new pics when i took off the Veil this time, but i hadn'nt gotten around to doing pics with the bra and Veil, so i just did. thanks for the reminder. :)

i can see less reflection on all the lights, but you're right about the rest. even though i didn't have any bright glare. i could see a "shine" to the front, whereas now with the bra it has more of a "flat" look.

yeah, especially without a front plate i'm also wondering if i'll need the middle head. the two top ones are about 29" apart from center and about 11 1/2" from the center of the headlights.

i'll be sure to post final measurments too.
i also just finished putting on the new heads earlier, and making sure they are square and level.
one interesting thing is that at about 30' i can get consistent stationary "jam" of distance with the osprey. instead of showing the actual distance, the jammers cause it to give me readings in the 1600 yard range, but the further back i go, sometimes it lets in the actual distance. either way we'll find out the results in a few days.

i'm looking forard to see what you and stalker come up with on your osprey testing. if you can do some with and w/o bra testing to see if adding a bra gives any consistent type shortage of range.

Longsnowsm
09-21-2005, 11:06 PM
RacerX,
I was just about to ask you if you recieved your new heads from Blinder. That is good news. Sounds like your measurements are spot on from what Roy described in the installation video for the spacing of the heads and locations. What are the measurements up from the bottom heads to the top ones and from each other? Your heading over to see Roy this Friday?

Yep, I noticed with my bra that I went from having spots that shined on the finish of the car to a dull spots where the light was hitting the bra. So the amount of reflection off of the paint of the car was cut down a great deal. When I do my tests I will try some runs without the bra, and then again with just the bottom part of the bra on, and then full bra. I have a battery of tests in mind that I will outline as I get closer to actually doing my runs. After reading some of the Veil tests and hearing about Veil Guy putting a shirt over his side view mirrors it has me thinking a bra cover for the mirrors would be good too. I haven't found any that fit my car yet, but if I can find them I will buy some. Once I see how the new Blinder heads perform I will get mine sent in for replacement if they work.

I have a problem on my car with where to place the Blinder heads. The location I want to put them are directly above my driving lamps. It looks like the brackets for the Blinder heads will drop the location down so that they are in front of the lights. So I am not sure how to handle this just yet. Maybe in a week or so I can take some pics of the front of the car so you can see what I am talking about. It is gonna be a pain.

My Osprey arrived today. So I am excited about that. As soon as I can get my current honeydo project done I get to go play. Sadly that will be at least a couple of weeks before I get it wrapped up. So I am on hold until then.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
yeah, i'm headed up today.
I don't have a tape handy so i'll have to get back to you on the measurements.
yeah I have chrome side mirrors and I thought about Veiling them.

I may have to play with those too.
post pics so we can all come up with something.
as long as the heads fit you can always modify or use a different type bracket or combine them. I had to do that on one.

we'll i'm off. i'll post results later.

09-23-2005, 09:07 PM
RacerX ,

if true that headlight is the second most reflective target , after plate .

Then I suggest a test this way : place the jammer reverse : facing into the headlight : the jamming power should be increased due to a larger reflection .

What do you think of it ?

RacerX
09-26-2005, 01:39 PM
interesting idea but i don't think it would work for several reasons.
My lights are Veiled, and i would have to mount the head on some type of bracket to point into the headlight which would be beyond obvious. also if the shot is center mass or just off headlight, than the blinder wouldn't even go off and i'd get nailed.

i'll see if i can do something though to see if it will even alert on the reflection and let you know. :)

Here's a link to the blinder stealth test.
http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?p=56102#56102

That was some cool and interesting testing. i'll do some more comparing now with the osprey, but from the looks of it, the osprey isn't a bad tool to have. the guns do have longer range on the front, but the big surprise is the rear. they both can shoot my truck at 2000'+ to the rear, and i did a couple of shots at the end with the osprey, and i got JTG front AND Rear. 1 head on the back worked well.

Either way the osprey does have some limitations, but for what you pay i'm starting to find it a good tool to have when working with a jammer setup.
I'm going to concentrate most of my efforts on shooting Center mass with and without a plate with the osprey, as this appears to be a weak point on my truck. i'll also do some more rear testing too.

this should then give a pretty good idea how to use the osprey to get an optimal setup. :)

Longsnowsm
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I would be curious to see if moving your bottom heads towards the center a few inches so that they are almost aligned with the top heads would help with your CM shots. I would think as long as your within 18" of the fogs you should still be covered there. Have you considered trying a placement like that?

I think the numbers the Osprey has been putting up are pretty good after looking at your real gun numbers.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
yeah i'm going to go back to the drawing board and play with placement again.
Since i don't have a front plate i was focused more on covering and getting close to all the lights, and added one head in the middle to "help with center shots".

the headlights are Veiled but the center chrome only had a light coat "wiped" on it.
i'm now going to focus my efforts there and work on seeing what the osprey does with a plate. i'm actually hoping for punchthroughs now with it, so that i can try and get JTG with a plate, when i move the heads around, which should leave me very well protected when i remove it.
we'll see. :)

Longsnowsm
09-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds like that chrome center of mass is the culprit. I think your probably right if you put a plate on there and then relocate the heads to get that coverage you should be good to go without a plate. I am willing to bet the Osprey will get a reading with that front plate. I would be surprised if you didn't.

It was good to hear that the mirrors and windshield were not a problem. Does Toyota offer a non-chrome version of your grill?

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-26-2005, 08:20 PM
yeah, that chrome will be history soon. :)

Toyota does have a "color" matched version of the grill, but i don't know how much it is.
after i do the new base runs with the osprey with and without plate, the emblem is gone and i'll put some type of flat matte tape or covering on the strips. the mesh should disguise any "redneck" look. :lol:
if not, then i'll look into the new grill.
the reality is with my setup i'm protected even without changing anything. i'd have plenty of time to slow down if i got lasered. the close couple hundred feet punchthroughs don't really matter, since the idea is to get alerted, slow down while jamming, then shut off the jammer for a reading. at this close range you would also see them anyway. not to mention that at close range it doesn't lock immediately with the jammer on.

More so than myself, i feel the need to do further testing, because a lot of people are stuck with front plates, and many of them can't do anything to it, for various legal reasons, so it's good that i did some plate shots. if i can get good protection with a bare plate, then i'm good to go without one at all. :)
But i still want JTG all the time, just because. :lol: :D

Longsnowsm
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Yep, I know the plate issue... It is "required" here also, but I haven't run one since I have been here(been here since 1992)... There are a lot of military installations here and people run plates from all sorts of states with different requirements. So they don't seem to be be too much of a stickler on the front plate enforcement since many states don't require a front plate. So I seem to have "misplaced" my front plate when I was "working" on my car :D

Longsnowsm

RacerX
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
:lol: I hate when that happens.

Well i just posted the full results and some more pics.
i have a pic with all the measurments from lights and heads. hopefully everyone can make sense of it.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?p=56102#56102

sometime later this week i'll work on some osprey testing with a plate, and do some playing to see what i come up with.

looking at the full results, except for long range shots, the osprey does pretty good.

RacerX
10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Well i did some runs with a plate on the front.
at about 50 mph i was able to pull some shots at about 750'. BIG difference with a plate (no jammer). this was in the same location as before.

with the blinder on i got several JTG but i managed to pull a few shots at around 100' or so.
this is good news actually. now i'm going to re-work my "optimal" placement to include protecting a plate better. then when i pull it off i should be good to go.

i think the key to getting longer range shots with the osprey is steadiness.
i use a tripod, but i notice the more i focus on smooth tracking, the easier it is to pull more consistent shots.

Also, i stuck a leveled blinder on the rear, and pulled several JFG. i did manage to pull a lock though at around 500' or so.
overall that one head does make a big difference in rear shots. i definately couldn't pull shot after shot out to 2000'+ like before.

For anyone new to this thread i would recommend reading the above link too. it has some good info regarding what i thought was good head placement, untill i did some night filming showing the heads firing.

once i play with my setup i'll post some more updates.
either way at this point i would recommend the osprey as a good inexpensive alternative to a lidar gun for testing and placement/mounting purposes.

Oh, one more thing. overall the osprey seems pretty accurate on speed readings, but there were several times where it was off by around 5 mph or so. this was with some quickie testing next to my radar gun. overall not bad, and definately good enough for this type of use.

Longsnowsm
10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Sounds like the Osprey and the LTI have something in common then. In the GOL testing on a tripod it was able to get long range locks, but hand held it was short range or JTG. Amazing the difference that a steady shot can make.

So what is the plan for the heads with the plate? The plate really makes a huge difference doesn't it? How did you mount up the rear head? I would love to see how you mounted it up and how it looks.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
10-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, definately a steady shot is the key to long range shots with the osprey. it's easy to get stationary distances by hand, but to get speed readings the steadier the shot the better.

As for the front plate, here's my plan. as much as i don't want to, i'm going to pull the bra back off. the top half is a piece of cake, it's the bottom that requires some work. i'm going to pull that big bullseye of an emblem, and do something to the chrome.
then i'm going to look at doing something closer to my original idea. since when i'm done i'll have no plate and a bra.
to fit the heads under the headlights would have required loosening the front bumper to fit the heads in the gap under each headlight. with the bra i can fit them under the bra and make an opening to slide them in without doing anything to the bumper.

IF i had to have a front plate, i would end up doing the same, since the way my front end is, there is no spot to directly mount a head above the plate, but with a bra i could mount one similar to the way the headlights will be, then just move the plate up a bit, but that's not a problem.
another option would be to move those two lower ones closer to center to protect the plate.

Fortunately i have plenty of heads to work with. even if i only had an M-40, i believe i could easily get good front end protection with the right setup. An M-40 and M-20 would cover front and back pretty good.
Since i have 1 M-40 and two M-20's, i am set. ( i originally did this for seperate front and rear control and led's, not to mention i thought i would need at least 3 or 4 heads to cover the rear, but one head has done surprisingly well).

My final setup will actually depend more on what i do with the rear, believe it or not.
i can place one or two right above the rear plate. the downside with one is that i would have to pull it to loosen the spare tire. with two i can space them an inch apart and still access the spare if need be. i'm also playing with the idea of a small "spoiler" piece for the tailgate. this would let me mount one in that, giving me 3 heads to the rear, which should be plenty of protection. either way i'll have 5 or 6 for the front, which will be more than enough.

i'm going to go play with it now, and maybe run some tests later.
either way i'll post some pics and let you know.
decisions decisions. :lol:

stalker
10-03-2005, 06:26 AM
good testing m8, ive been meaning to do some testing but just havnt had time due to work....I will set aside some time this week to test on my SUV with the Bel and Drive smart fitted, I have lots of chrome on the front of mine so it will be easy to aquire speeds, i will prob do some tripod shots... when the jammer is fitted i will do more tests and document on video from inside the car and also on the side of the road and will try the side by side video so you can see from both aspects...

RacerX
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Looking forward to your videos, and seeing what your tests show. :)

well i decided on my final setup. about time. :lol:

Since i have them, i put 2 on the rear and six up front. if i didn't already have them, i would have gone with an M-40 front and M-20 rear, with the option of using one on the back and the fifth one up front.

I didn't get to do any real testing with my final setup yet, but just by shooting the osprey for range, i see a significant improvement in longer range jamming. the reason i say this is that from about 150' away i was able to pull some 1600 something yard readings with it, that normally i can't duplicate much past 40 or 50 feet.

I'll post some pics, including a night shot of all the heads firing.

I also improved my install of the heads in the bra too. i just wish i did it this way in the first place, since at some point i'll need to repair the old cuts in the mesh. the way i have it now it is much cleaner and less obvious, even though the heads actually stick out a little farther.

the hardest part was cutting into the actual bra for the heads under each headlight. it only took about 5 minutes a side to cut it, but i probably stood there for about 30 mins trying to decide the best way to do it, since it would be a 1 time shot. :)

So all the heads are in now. the front is done and wired. the rear heads are installed, but i still need to run the wires from the back to the inside, which i'll work on today.

Once i'm done, i'll post pics front and rear.

EDIT:
here's a quick nightshot.

http://www.donspc.com/Forum/newnightblinder1.jpg

stalker
10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
hold crap man, may i suggest selling the blinder and getting a single or dual head jammer....six heads...man that is insane.

Ill keep ya posted.

Longsnowsm
10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Holy cow! 6 heads! So what are the measurements for the placement? How did you mount the heads below the headlights? How did your center of mass shots without the bra and with the plate go? So you decided not to mount a head near the plate? Where did you mount the rear heads?

I just sent my Blinder in for the stealth fix. So once it gets back and I am hoping to start my testing by the end of the month.

Longsnowsm

RacerX
10-06-2005, 10:22 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never claimed to be sane. :D

i'm going to do some final testing this weekend, but my setup is done.

it appears that 3-4 heads would actually work well for me, now that i have one under each headlight.

i'll post pics and measurements in a few. mounting one under each headlight seemed to make a big improvement in performance. with 3 and no chrome i could get JTG with a plate now, but the plate head was in a temp mount right above the plate.

I moved the two next to the headlights in a bit, and moved the two below in quite a bit towards where a plate would be.
i have two rear heads above the back plate.

if i knew then what i know now, i wouldn't have needed the extra M-20.

4 on the front and 2 to the rear would be plenty, but since i've got them i decided to use them, plus this way i know which heads are firing by the led's. one is for the headlights, one for the 4 mounted CM, and the third one is for the 2 rear heads, along with independent switches front and rear.

Here's some pics to get you started. i'll post pics with the heads circled, plus measurments and some other stuff.

http://www.donspc.com/Forum/newsetup.jpg

http://www.donspc.com/Forum/rearmount.jpg

stalker
10-06-2005, 03:54 PM
man with all that black bra on the front i reckon a mobile phone on the front would JTG...not 5 blinder heads....holy crap if ya cant get a JTG with that 100% of the time its time to give up...1 diode based jammer will cover that and the car next to you!

RacerX
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (actually i used them all, so it's 6. :wink: )

which phone, i could have saved a bunch of money? :lol:

It's funny you mention that. i got a call from a friend this afternoon to go against a lidar gun, so i just came back from some testing against a new Prolaser III, and it WAS JTG every run.
If i ever get a chance to get a hold of it for an afternoon, i'll do some runs with fewer heads. with my setup now i think 3 or 4 would be plenty.

This was at 25 mph from around 1200' or so.

I'm also happy to report that from the rear, he could get me from a dead stop next to him, until around 100-150' or so, then it was jamming all the way out, at only 25 mph.

Either way, i'm set for sure. Laser, shmaser. :)

RacerX
10-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Okay, here's 2 more pics. 1 with new measurements and 1 with my setup. Red is my current setup, green is what i would do if i didn't already have the extra heads.

http://www.donspc.com/Forum/newmeasurements.jpg

http://www.donspc.com/Forum/newheads.jpg

Probably tomorrow i'll do some final testing with the Osprey.
i'm going to do some with and without a plate. i'm going to focus on 2 and 3 heads. the ones under each headlight and one next to the plate area. with no chrome and this setup even these few heads should actually be sufficient. either way i'll post the results.

between all this different testing and what you guys come up with, this should give a lot of people ideas how to test for the optimal placement on their vehicle.

i think the biggest thing to remember for everyone is that no two vehicles (large trucks or small cars) are alike. (different manufacturers, models.)
sometimes the optimal setup with as few heads as possible may only work for testing, but in reality you may not be able to place those heads in that spot permanently for various reasons, which means you must go to plan b, or start cutting into things you don't want to.

So for some, take all this as a general guidline. headlights and plates are hot spots that need protection. chrome can also be, depending on where it is. they usually shoot center of mass first, so if there is chrome there, cover or protect it. i thought my chrome bumper would screw me, but it doesn't appear to be much of an issue at this point.
A little bit of time and testing can go a long way to give you the protection and setup you need. :)

Longsnowsm
10-07-2005, 08:38 PM
RacerX,
Thanks for the pics and the update. Covering that chrome really did the trick! Looks good.

I think your right on the effectiveness of 3 or more heads. In your testing with a real gun the distances didn't drop dramatically with more than 3 heads. I think since you have that chrome covered 3 or 4 heads is more than enough. I look forward to seeing how your last round of tests turns out.

I sent my Blinder in for the stealth fix. Once it gets back and I wrap up this honey do project at home I have been working on for over a week I hope to begin my tests with the Osprey. Hopefully the Blinder will be back by then so I can figure out my install.

Longsnowsm

happya$$
10-08-2005, 06:49 AM
The funniest thing about all this is that even though RacerX has 100 transponders he still NO WHERE in my league (Civic) as far as being stealthed. He can mount 2000 transponders and still he will get the same result and that is he is going to wish that he was in my league. Now I would not even brag about being able to jam the Pro Laser III since my grandma's glasses can even do that (EASIEST gun to jam).

stalker
10-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I seriously doubt that he wants to be just like you happy... take the mirror off the wall m8 ;)

RacerX
10-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Poor happy is having a stealth-life crisis. :lol:
He sees my BIG truck becoming more stealth than his LITTLE car moment by moment.

You'd better put her glasses on the rear of your car than, since you haven't stealthed that yet. :lol: :wink:

Longsnowsm,
thanks. actually i'm liking the new look on the front. I've thought about adding headlight covers, but i don't really need them. plus i figure this makes it easier for them to see me coming, so either they shoot center mass right into a group of heads, or they swing to a headlight, right into another head. either way i'm going to have plenty of time to slow and turn it off so they can get a reading and move on.

i'll be testing in a bit. i know my full setup is JTG with the osprey, so i'm going to do 2 heads with and w/o plate, and 3 heads, with and w/o plate.

Post pics and we'll see what we can come up with. :)

happya$$
10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Oh you are so worng I have the AL6 in the rear :twisted:

RacerX
10-08-2005, 03:08 PM
:lol:
well as long as you don't get shot with an LTI, you might be fairly stealth afterall. :wink: :)

Now, for my final test results ( for now anyway :) ).

I shot 2,3, and 4 heads. (of course all on was JTG, which it better be or i'd NEVER hear the end of it. :wink: )

I was focusing more on punchthroughs than actual distances, so i don't have exact measurements, but as a base, covering the chrome did cut down on my punchthroughs some, so that is good. at this point the only weak spots would be all the lights.

with 2 heads, no plate, i was still JTG with headlight shots, but got punchthroughs on CM shots. with 2 heads spaced that far apart, i was around the same range as no jammer on.

with 2 heads and a plate , i was getting CM punchtroughs farther back. (also a plate and no heads i was getting locks at much farther away.)

A bare plate can be very deadly if not WELL protected.

with 3 heads, no plate (one under headlights, and bottom left by plate area) i was JTG headlights still, and LOW CM shots were JTG, but if i aimed high i could still manage a few close range (around 60-100') punchthroughs. it's possible if the third was actually centered i may have had JTG with just 3 heads.

If i turned on the upper left head, giving me 4 on, i was JTG headlights and CM. i even tried aiming more right of center mass, since that is a larger unprotected area, and i still was JTG.
So if i only had 4 heads and did the "cross" configuration it looks like i would be okay.

with 3 heads and a plate, i had mixed results. i got some JTG, but a few close range punchtroughs on the plate shots. turning on the other head on the right side of the plate and i actually got consistent JTG.

If i had to have a plate, i would either put the heads right up next to the plate, or probably mount them directly above it. i would just have to test further to see.

Well 5 pages later, i hope this answers the questions about using the Osprey. :lol:

stalker
10-08-2005, 04:48 PM
wer you using the speed setting or distance?

RacerX
10-08-2005, 07:19 PM
it was the speed setting.

oh, and vehicle speeds were 25 and 50.

Suf Daddy
10-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Late to the thread. This is the most amazing thread I've seen yet. Affordable LIDAR with multiple purposes........... WOW

Now the (Osprey) 600 yarder is really 1800 feet, keep that in mind the Optics Planet page list 600, 700 and 1000 YARD ranger finders. Two that do speed.

My Q:
Would it be possible to mount two identical units side by side and tape OVER one (transmit) appature to receive BOTH a speed and a distance measurement each "clocking"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
-Suf Daddy

Excellent testiing... So far this is looking good. Too bad it cannot pickup speeds out at 1000+ ft. It should still be useful. So your baseline for all of these tests will now be 40mph? What kind of truck are you using in your tests? Lots of chrome?

Longsnowsm

stalker
10-28-2005, 05:40 AM
hmm..not sure but if you had 2 identical units just have one set to distance and the other set to speed...

Longsnowsm
10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I would think it would be pretty hard with one person to see a speed lock and get the distance at the same time. I would say just have two people and call out the speed and have the other person record the distance. That way you wouldn't have to go to the extreame with cones trying to figure out where you were. Of course that means either buying two Osprey's or getting together with someone else who has one also. I have been giving this some thought myself as I hope to begin playing with the Osprey shortly. I have a trip planned next week, but once I get back I will be playing with the Osprey.

Longsnowsm

Late to the thread. This is the most amazing thread I've seen yet. Affordable LIDAR with multiple purposes........... WOW

Now the (Osprey) 600 yarder is really 1800 feet, keep that in mind the Optics Planet page list 600, 700 and 1000 YARD ranger finders. Two that do speed.

My Q:
Would it be possible to mount two identical units side by side and tape OVER one (transmit) appature to receive BOTH a speed and a distance measurement each "clocking"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
-Suf Daddy

Longsnowsm

Suf Daddy
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Late posting as this is a reference to a newer thread Q in 2006.

Osprey both Racer X and I have them and have tesed them. here's the beam pattern ~30 feet.

http://www.quattro123.com/OSpreyLidarRangeFinder.htm

http://www.quattro123.com/LTI/Marksman/BeamPatternSIZE797A.jpg

If you JAm the camera to the view finder you CAn video the info in the scope of the unit.

-Suf Daddy
hawking it on Ebay

stalker
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
so was the beam pattern much wider than a real gun?

Suf Daddy
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
(AT) 7' Osprey is smaller

Same at ~30 Feet
the 100 foot, Osprey looks bigger

I've clocked cars 300 - 400 feet with the Osprey .

I'll know later on.
-Suf Daddy

stalker
02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
ok sweet, thanks