PDA

View Full Version : Laser Star??? Some questions??

alpinestars_2002795
12-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Ok, so I have some questions about Laser Star first off, is it even really as effective as it's being portrayed. Also, can it jam TruSpeed? Lastly does anybody have a "Decent" Video thats not being taped by JTW and those guys of it actually alerting to a "Real Trap?" Lastly if someone does have a good video on it, im curious what the Alert tones sound/look like?? Just curious about it no harm intended ;). Just kinda wondering some things about just general info.

AlPiNe~:confused:

speed-dreams
12-19-2008, 12:07 AM
look at the GOL's results...
Also the sound will be exactly the same as the AL,LPP, and PASS...

TSi+WRX
12-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Also, have a look at the CFL tests.

My entire problem with the LaserStar, brother alpine, is precisely what you mentioned - that it is only effective in the hands of The Goons, and that NO OTHER REPUTABLE INDIVIDUAL HOBBYIST NOR GROUP has documented its effectiveness.

Given the past history of The Goons as well as their vested interest in the item, I am simply NOT willing to make any assessments on the effectiveness of the LaserStar, based on their LaserJammerTests results, and I think that any reasoning adult would feel the same way.

For me, although I trust, implicitly, the GOL, both as a group as well as their unique individuals, I am willing to, as I've said before on discussions on RadarReviews, to discount their findings of the LaserStar, based on the simple fact that there's such bad-blood between the two groups. I am willing to entertain the possibility that, for such personal reasons, the GOL results may be compromised.

Similarly, I am willing to again entertain the possiblity that the CFL tests may be compromised, too, given the group's association with Blinder and Laser Interceptor. Again, the CFL group has done nothing but to earn my respect and trust, also as individuals and as a group, but once more, as with the situation above, it's a possiblity which I cannot completely discount, so, therefore, I will put it on the table.

Given all that, then, what am I left with?

Nothing.

No other reports of-note.

So in re-examining the issue, and re-weighing the considerations, then, what am I left with?

An inherent trust in two groups of individuals, and on the other hand, The Goons, who have proven, repeatedly, that they will sell-out anything and anyone for a quick buck, that they will lie and misrepresent products to do the same.

Based on just that, alone, I am very, very leery of the LaserStar.

I, along with cVr, both expressed our HOPE, on RadarReviews, that the LaserStar would at least perform up to the level of their clone counterparts, the AL and LPP, and that the low pricing of the LaserStar would then work to drive-down the entire market, to benefit all countermeasures enthusiasts as well as general motorists.

Alas, this was not to be.

---

As for TruSpeed, based on the fact that The Goons haven't even made a peep, lately, as well as the fact that the CFL tested AL and LPP products both failed to alert and jam this device, I have no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that the LaserStar is completely ineffective against this threat.

languy99
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Let's see $599 for a dual laser star that might work or 350-400 for a blinder that we know works. I wonder what I would get?? Right now the best value for the dollar is the blinder in my opinion. For the money spent you can't get that type of performance anywhere else.

alpinestars_2002795
12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
LaserStar would then work to drive-down the entire market, to benefit all countermeasures enthusiasts as well as general motorists.

I just checked their site. They are asking Like 599.99 for a dual head unit now? :(:(:rolleyes::(

I guess so much for that theory TSI. Although ya, when they first came about i thought they where like ya 250.00 i wonder what happened with that??

:(:(:confused::rolleyes::(

I agree this is exactly why i mentioned it TSI i'm kinda curious if anybody has any personal experience with this too that is "One of us average guys" on this board, and not anybody that may have any personal feelings. Ya know? Not that I don't trust Jim and the GOL and them, they have done some really great things for each and every one of us on this forum, and in this community. As well as Elvato I think the world of him as well. He has done some great testing as well. :) I'd just be interested in seeing it myself. As for the tone, thats cool i kinda like the euro tone of LPP and AL :). I for some reason would love to get my hands on a LPP :).

Thanks for all the info though all it is much appriciated. Always good to gain knowledge. Thats what this board is for :). Also if anybody has any personal tests or vid's they've done of the Laser Star i'd love to see them :), or possibly any more info on it.

Let's see $599 for a dual laser star that might work or 350-400 for a blinder that we know works. I wonder what I would get?? Right now the best value for the dollar is the blinder in my opinion. For the money spent you can't get that type of performance anywhere else.

Languy if this thing isn't discussed where would we gain knowledge? I have a blinder Languy? I don't know if you "Know" this. But I own a Blinder m-20 xtreme. I was just wondering about it, since we as you even stated, "We don't truely know" about it. My question to you Languy is, "Will we ever if it's not tested thourghly by one of us as even TSI said above?" The answer, no. This post was for knowlege and knowledge only.

AlPiNe~

Lucky225
12-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I donno I'm skeptical of them, perhaps the upshot in price was in anticipation of ripping off xmas shoppers.

jerry540i
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Also, have a look at the CFL tests.

My entire problem with the LaserStar, brother alpine, is precisely what you mentioned - that it is only effective in the hands of The Goons, and that NO OTHER REPUTABLE INDIVIDUAL HOBBYIST NOR GROUP has documented its effectiveness.

Given the past history of The Goons as well as their vested interest in the item, I am simply NOT willing to make any assessments on the effectiveness of the LaserStar, based on their LaserJammerTests results, and I think that any reasoning adult would feel the same way.

For me, although I trust, implicitly, the GOL, both as a group as well as their unique individuals, I am willing to, as I've said before on discussions on RadarReviews, to discount their findings of the LaserStar, based on the simple fact that there's such bad-blood between the two groups. I am willing to entertain the possibility that, for such personal reasons, the GOL results may be compromised.

>>I was at the last GOL test. The LaserStar was tested in the exact same manner as every other jammer. This LaserStar was blind purchased (by one of the people in attendance), was taken fresh out of the box, hooked up to the power source, and then the heads were leveled. The unit was tested to see if it powered up properly, and was working properly, then it was put through the paces against every laser gun. Admittedly, everyone was really eager to see the LaserStar in action, to actually see if lived up to its hype (by the "other" testers ;)). However, when it showed its true colors as a mediocore performer, no one was really that surprised.

Similarly, I am willing to again entertain the possiblity that the CFL tests may be compromised, too, given the group's association with Blinder and Laser Interceptor. Again, the CFL group has done nothing but to earn my respect and trust, also as individuals and as a group, but once more, as with the situation above, it's a possiblity which I cannot completely discount, so, therefore, I will put it on the table.

Given all that, then, what am I left with?

Nothing.

No other reports of-note.

So in re-examining the issue, and re-weighing the considerations, then, what am I left with?

An inherent trust in two groups of individuals, and on the other hand, The Goons, who have proven, repeatedly, that they will sell-out anything and anyone for a quick buck, that they will lie and misrepresent products to do the same.

Based on just that, alone, I am very, very leery of the LaserStar.

>>Be leery, very leery.

I, along with cVr, both expressed our HOPE, on RadarReviews, that the LaserStar would at least perform up to the level of their clone counterparts, the AL and LPP, and that the low pricing of the LaserStar would then work to drive-down the entire market, to benefit all countermeasures enthusiasts as well as general motorists.

Alas, this was not to be.

---

As for TruSpeed, based on the fact that The Goons haven't even made a peep, lately, as well as the fact that the CFL tested AL and LPP products both failed to alert and jam this device, I have no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that the LaserStar is completely ineffective against this threat.

J/

crazyVOLVOrob
12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Laser Star will not beable to jam the LTI TruSpeed just like any of the other clones!!!!!

The Laser Star people have screwed over one rally they were said to sponsor. And they almost screwed over another rally. A person on the rally claims they were saved by the Laser Star on the drive back from the west coast but they were going with in 15mph od the speed limit and didn't even slow down

djrams80
12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
>>I was at the last GOL test. The LaserStar was tested in the exact same manner as every other jammer. This LaserStar was blind purchased (by one of the people in attendance), was taken fresh out of the box, hooked up to the power source, and then the heads were leveled. The unit was tested to see if it powered up properly, and was working properly, then it was put through the paces against every laser gun. Admittedly, everyone was really eager to see the LaserStar in action, to actually see if lived up to its hype (by the "other" testers http://www.radardetector.net/forums/laser-jammers/images/smilies/wink.gif). However, when it showed its true colors as a mediocore performer, no one was really that surprised.I'd like to add to this a little. I actually think that the Laser Star got extra special attention. The GOL guys seemed to me like they wanted to make sure that there was absolutely no doubt that the Laser Star got a fair shake, for obvious reasons.

I for one, was surprised at how poorly the Laser Star performed. I personally expected performance on the AL/LPP level, but since GOL 2008, we have gotten a better idea of why certain AL clones don't exhibit AL performance.

happya$$
12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I can assure everyone we spent three times longer testing this jammer than the others just for this reason. We wanted to make sure all questions were answered and no doubts left behind. I encourage people to buy this product and test it themselves if there is ANY doubt.

TSi+WRX
12-21-2008, 09:01 AM
jerry, dj, happy and All -

Again, please don't get me wrong. :) As I've stated in that post above, I *inherently* trust the GOL - both its individual members and the group.

Everywhere I go, and everyone I speak to, knows this to be the truth.

It's the one single definitive "trusted source" that I cite, repeatedly, no matter where I am on the 'net, giving advice/recommendations on speed-detection countermeasures, be it publicly or privately.

It is simply to be absolutely fair and impartial, in this case, to state that I am willing to just ENTERTAIN the mere possibility, no matter how remote or unlikely, that other factors may be at-play, for that specific test.

I have every reason to distrust The Goons, and I've even been part, more recently, of various efforts to uncover their dishonesty (i.e. the ronin/Ronins_Ride's video debacle, where they claimed the device used was the LaserStar), and you all can see my public debate of these concerns of trust, on the RadarReviews Forums.

For the sake of argument, I'm simply stating what the facts are, and what the possibilities are.

I then leave it up to the reader to make, of my advice/posts, what they will.

As reasoning adults, I think that anyone would be able to follow such logic to their conclusion - which is, to say simply, that The Goons cannot be trusted, and that the purchase of the LaserStar is, at-best, a gamble.

Stealth Stalker
12-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I encourage people to buy this product and test it themselves if there is ANY doubt.
I'm SURE there's an iron-clad money-back guarantee! :D

:lol:

corkguykev
12-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm SURE there's an iron-clad money-back guarantee! :D

:lol:

yep, you'll have it back in 2 weeks ;) :p

Hessen
12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
As reasoning adults, I think that anyone would be able to follow such logic to their conclusion - which is, to say simply, that The Goons cannot be trusted, and that the purchase of the LaserStar is, at-best, a gamble.

It is quite possible that the LS may provide one with enough protection to slow down to the PSL, and avoid being ticketed.

Then again it may not, as noted above it's a gamble at best.

I think the bigger issue (for me anyways), is that by purchasing a LS I would be ..........

Validating and supporting that despicable excuse of a human being Neil Brown.

To then further validate, JTW aka the Midget, Audi Quattro, and the other losers associated with this pathetic duo, is to me simply reprehensible.

On principle alone I would never consider ANY product where ANY of these parties are involved, directly or indirectly.

djrams80
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
It is quite possible that the LS may provide one with enough protection to slow down to the PSL, and avoid being ticketed.Since I was driving the test car at GOL '08 and the LS did not even detect the PLIII, I'm going to go with not.

happya$$
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Since I was driving the test car at GOL '08 and the LS did not even detect the PLIII, I'm going to go with not.

If I am not mistaken it detected it but not jam it

djrams80
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
If I am not mistaken it detected it but not jam itI'm almost positive that it never made a peep against the PLIII. I could be wrong. I drove up and down that street a lot, so I could be confusing this with something else. :confused:

eire05
12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Anything involved with those 3 Knob Jockies (Thats for you djrams80 ;) ) should be avoided. CONSUMER ALERT!!!! :D

Lucky225
12-22-2008, 06:02 PM
:lol::lol:
Anything involved with the those 3 Knob Jockies (Thats for you djrams80 ;) ) should be avoided. CONSUMER ALERT!!!! :D

eire05
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
:lol::lol:

Cheers! For the record I'm referencing a djrams80 reply to one of my youtube comments on a lane hogger "lol @ knob jockey" :D

tactical22
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Also if anybody has any personal tests or vid's they've done of the Laser Star i'd love to see them :), or possibly any more info on it.
AlPiNe~

I have one here but it doesnt work...the head was fooked on delivery...got it from a guy that had it sent to him..he sent it to me straight away and it doesnt work...DEAD

TSi+WRX
12-23-2008, 06:14 AM
I think the bigger issue (for me anyways), is that by purchasing a LS I would be ..........

Validating and supporting that despicable excuse of a human being Neil Brown.

To then further validate, JTW aka the Midget, Audi Quattro, and the other losers associated with this pathetic duo, is to me simply reprehensible.

On principle alone I would never consider ANY product where ANY of these parties are involved, directly or indirectly.

That's the issue for me as well.

And it's not just the implications of supporting those who have betrayed the trust of the community, time and again, but also the very real concern that these individuals may once again jump-ship when the next quick money-making scheme comes along. This is evident in just reviewing any of these individual's past history.

And that would leave the consumer in a lurch, in trying to claim warranty and service. :( :mad:

alpinestars_2002795
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I think we are kinda getting off topic here. I didn't mean for this to become a JTW, Audio Quattro bashing session. I was just curious of how "Effective" the laser star perhaps is, or isn't?

Does "Anybody" have any "Legit" personal vid's of this device either working or failing miserably?

Just curious?

Thanks in advance.

tactical22
12-24-2008, 01:32 AM
I shot this one if that helps..lol

YouTube - Laser Star Broken from NEW LPP Works tho!

alpinestars_2002795
12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Very interesting Tactical. Although, kind wish i could see a "None" broken Laser Star unit in operation? Anybody have one of those perhaps? I wonder if the GOL has any footage of it from there most recent event? Jim?

tactical22
12-24-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah I also had that wish but I was let down..oh well....

I was planning on seeing how the LPP jammed with LS cont box compared to the LPP control box..but as usual aint had time

alpinestars_2002795
12-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Huh, man I really wish I could see someone that was Legit with one of these working and see how it "Truely" preforms or doesn't? Confused, there are ton's of vid's of blinder LPP, AL, LI, Lida-Tek, but no Laser Star vids, other than those made by the guy's retaling them :( this is kinda upsetting. :(

AlPiNe~ :(

Stealth Stalker
12-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Maybe go over to one of those car nerd forums where they had group-buys for the Lager Tar and see if anyone there has anything to add? That's all I can think of. Obviously, most anyone who bought one would not be a member here, lol.

tactical22
12-27-2008, 05:19 AM
isnt it amazing that there is NO videos of the LS by consumers......whats that tell ya eh!

TSi+WRX
12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Huh, man I really wish I could see someone that was Legit with one of these working and see how it "Truely" preforms or doesn't? Confused, there are ton's of vid's of blinder LPP, AL, LI, Lida-Tek, but no Laser Star vids, other than those made by the guy's retaling them :( this is kinda upsetting. :(

I'm upset by the same, too.

But considering how small this community (that of speed-detection countermeasures) is, and even the limited membership here who either own or have access to various speed-measurement devices, this does not particularly surprise me.

Am I disappointed? Certainly. But not surprised.

isnt it amazing that there is NO videos of the LS by consumers......whats that tell ya eh!

+1.

Maybe go over to one of those car nerd forums where they had group-buys for the Lager Tar and see if anyone there has anything to add? That's all I can think of.

^ I'm inclined to agree, but would like to advise caution in doing so.

We've see The Goons take on various persona, infiltrating those Forums/communities, in the hopes of driving sales via bogus "testimonials" and other claims.

djrams80
12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
^ I'm inclined to agree, but would like to advise caution in doing so.

We've see The Goons take on various persona, infiltrating those Forums/communities, in the hopes of driving sales via bogus "testimonials" and other claims.Remember also, that most of these LSs were sold in the Seattle area. You could easily end up talking to someone that shot his own car with a gun supplied by the goons. The goons were famous for letting their customers shoot their own cars. Maybe this gun was modified in some way. Who knows? The shooter at this point would have definitely been very inexperienced. These people would be to laser jammer owners, as Cobra owners are to RD owners. Not a very reliable source of info for sure.

Stealth Stalker
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
The goons were famous for letting their customers shoot their own cars. Maybe this gun was modified in some way. Who knows? The shooter at this point would have definitely been very inexperienced. These people would be to laser jammer owners, as Cobra owners are to RD owners. Not a very reliable source of info for sure.
LOL! At one time I thought this was pretty improbable, but now I'm not so sure. My PLIII is on the fritz. Took me awhile to figure it out. After about five cars in a row were JTG on me, I was like "WTF? Is there an LI rally in town, or what?" I shot my V1 and it alerted, so obviously it was firing. But it wouldn't lock on any car. If a n00b were to shoot his set-up with it, sure enough, he would be convinced that he was JTG. So yeah, I can see that scam being pulled off.

Lucky225
12-27-2008, 08:59 PM
LOL! At one time I thought this was pretty improbable, but now I'm not so sure. My PLIII is on the fritz. Took me awhile to figure it out. After about five cars in a row were JTG on me, I was like "WTF? Is there an LI rally in town, or what?" I shot my V1 and it alerted, so obviously it was firing. But it wouldn't lock on any car. If a n00b were to shoot his set-up with it, sure enough, he would be convinced that he was JTG. So yeah, I can see that scam being pulled off.

Pull the tape off the optical receiver lens stalker ;)

tactical22
12-28-2008, 02:44 AM

Funny u say that cause mine was doing the exact same thing...it was caused by an internal timer board fail...whats to say the goons gun wasnt the same!

Lucky225
12-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Funny u say that cause mine was doing the exact same thing...it was caused by an internal timer board fail...whats to say the goons gun wasnt the same!

nice, now if only this would happen to every local PD's arsenal

Stealth Stalker
12-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Funny u say that cause mine was doing the exact same thing...it was caused by an internal timer board fail...
Ehhh... I'm almost afraid to ask you how much the repairs cost. :eek:

tactical22
12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I think it was around 800 bucks

Stealth Stalker
12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it was around 800 bucks
I knew I shouldn't have asked. Taking it in to the shop today. I guess I better pick up some KY on the way. :angry:

tactical22
12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I knew I shouldn't have asked. Taking it in to the shop today. I guess I better pick up some KY on the way. :angry:

you better get the MAXI Tube of KY, you will need it.

Let us know how u get on and costs etc