PDA

View Full Version : A mad scientist enters the fray

Solion
01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Greetings everyone

As this is my formal first post, I would like to say that it is good to see a counter measures community like this blooming on the net.

My main work I do "that pays the bills" is mostly animatronics and costume work for low budget movies and such. However I dabble in all sorts of mad scientist ideas and wanted to throw this one out to people. I am also interested in hearing from the Lidar jammer companies what they might think of my idea. Perhaps I am off the mark or not.

The basic premise is to increase the jamming potential of a product while making it hard to detect that you actually have jamming hardware built into the car. My Idea is simply this.

Many modular headlamps/headlights. marker lights and turn signals are made so you can easily replace a bulb should one burn out. My idea is to replace the plastic socket assembly for these bulbs (namely the headlights) with a translucent socket. Most (if not all) sockets protrude into the headlight assembly itself, By going with a translucent assembly and casting a 904nm laser diode into the plastic I can very effectively transmit IR pulses directly into both the headlamp assembly and or the body of the unit itself. This could also be done with LEDS in replacement of the Laser diode.

Given that the headlights are a primary target by laser/lidar guns, I could see this a being very effective for cars without large chrome grills or front plates. and would require only the replacement of the socket assembly. it would cut down on mounting time, Headlights have their own rugged alignment systems , And would be as waterproof and damage resistant as headlights are. But the best part is no obvious emitters to be discovered by a snooping LEO's and it turns the whole headlight assembly into a lidar detector as well.

I have the resources and am casting my own assemblies. I would love to however tear apart an existing laser jammer for the hardware to drive the Leds/laser installed and see how effective it is in comparison to properly installed emitters. And there is the matter of testing the setup( I don't have multiple lidar gun to test it ) . Anyone in the Atlanta GA area interested?

Just another mad scientist Idea at work

:D

I am considering making these for sale, But only if it gets the Radar Roy seal of approval :cool:

djrams80
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
If your product works, people will buy it. Making a working laser jammer is not an easy thing to do, so you'll have to cross this bridge before you can even get to the canyon you are attempting to traverse. Your idea would have teeth in illegal areas for sure, should you reach your destination.

crazyVOLVOrob
01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Laser jammers are extremely hardd to produce....But if the price is ok and performance is good it will selll

I have just seen too many people come and try to build their own laser jammer and then give up to even bother encouraging the next guy that says he is going to make a jammer

Solion
01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I wasn't planning on building the whole jammer system Just that this assembly would be used in place of the head units mounted in the grills of most cars as a stealthy and perhaps more effective solution to resisting punch through at distance

So far no word from the various companies I have emailed about this Idea. I was hoping I might be able to find someone with an old Blinder or some other unit I could pigtail out the photosensors and Led drivers to test this setup. or send the setup to Roy for his opinion on it.

I am also hoping for more feedback as to why it WOULDENT work. why such a design might not provide protection

rsatmans
01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Solion you have PM :cool:

jimbonzzz
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I think the translucent socket is a good idea. Paired with a proper jammer, it might be a good solution. However, simply adding IR "emitters" (diodes or LEDs) and pulsing them isn't going to jam anything at all.

See my post in this thread:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/laser-jammers/41947-how-does-laser-jammer-work.html

Eloi
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
'' I wasn't planning on building the whole jammer system Just that this assembly would be used in place of the head units mounted in the grills of most cars as a stealthy and perhaps more effective solution to resisting punch through at distance ''

Welcome to the crazy club.

I thought the same thing times ago , but never realised my project.
My idea was to place the head in reverse inside the housing , the
emitter toward the reflector ....but I forecast the heat problem due
to bulb and not ready to dismantle the whole housing.

I never use the supplied brackets , I always made my own design.

Don't let anyone destroy your dreams .

I know about casting , which metal do you use ?
Do you use lost wax ? or sand ?

Live stealth or die :cool:

Solion
01-31-2009, 04:32 AM
I do allot of casting in various resins, plastics and polymers. I also have a full end mill and lathe setup for building components. I don't have room for a forge as of yet bu I do have friends who can help me. And I do have access to CNC hardware and can code for it.

again this is sort of a side hobby I have to see if I can make a system work better or build my own. Given the exacting requirements of sensing the correct PPS and turning it around to be an effective jammer, the electronics portion for the most part (other than simple sensing circuits) Ill leave for the engineers that get paid the big bucks.

I will keep scouring EBAY and the electronic trader pages to see if I can get ahold of an old (but still useable) system I can tear down to fit into my car for testing.

Also, there is the question of the guns effectiveness at filtering the 904nm frequency. I have considered using the 905nm 1 watt LEDs from this company http://www.roithner-laser.com/LED_HP_single_chip.html

I would imagine given the power output of these at 905nm at let say 450pps would be pretty blinding to most lidar detectors circuits. But I could be wrong.

MEM-TEK
01-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Solion's idea is along the same lines as my idea which I mentioned several months ago. My idea was to conceal high power LED array emitters or laser diodes inside the tail lights. They would have their own power supply circuitry and would be modulated by taking a reference signal from a production laser jammer head. Thus, whatever modulated driving signal which the jammer produces for its own LEDs or laser diode would also be used to modulate the additional LEDs or laser diodes installed within the tail lights.

I see that Solion has been doing research on efficient high power LEDs and laser diodes. Solion, note that 910nm LEDs probably are the best choice since the production tolerances generally specifiy 900nm to 915nm as the wavelength of maximum output for any given LED production sample. Look at the emission bandwidth of the LEDs and you will see that it generally is around 50nm to 60nm -- plenty enough spread with close to 100% energy at 904nm.

You can't just pulse the LEDs at a fairly high pulse rate to jam a laser gun. That will throw an error code on the laser gun and won't actually jam the laser gun since it would simply ignore the steady frequency of the LED pulses. Jamming involves being tricky by varying the pulse rate in order to confuse the laser gun so that the laser gun doesn't clearly see its own return signals. If done right, then the laser gun might not even produce a jam code and may simply think that it is being pointed at too distant of a target. The result would be no distance or speed readings.

Solion
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Very interesting, What I am wondering however is the error codes and jam codes on guns. Do they really still try and produce a reading if an error code pops up?

I can understand active pulse filtering, That makes sense. it takes and filters for its own PWM or PR for the reflected pulse and applies that with a digital noise canceling circuit , combined with a physical 904nm filter it narrows it down so a very slim slice of the IR spectrum is being seen ( just speculating I have never taken a lidar gun apart) I would assume it "sees" the jamming pulse and tosses that information into the noise column while looking for an expected pulse timed by the gun. (Width, rate or both)

What I am wondering however is if you throw an ocean of 904nm lets say I have 4, 3 watt LEDS throwing out 4 different sets of pulses per headlight 450, 200, 150 and 65, will it overwhelm the capacity of the lidar gun to see ...Anything. and if not, what would it take . In short, can even the best Lidar gun on the planet calculate a speed reading from the sun. (brute force jammers unite)

Just looking to clip limbs from dead ends on my thought process on this. Let me know why this is not a viable option, or am I missing something.

I could just see a single panel comic with a police officer holding a Lidar gun as a car passes by. the officer and gun are smoldering and smoking.......Bob .. I think they are Jamming us...

MetalFlame
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I have considered using the 905nm 1 watt LEDs from this company high power LED, led array, white power LED, power chip led, 350 nm LED, 370 nm LED, 380 nm LED, infrared power LED, power LED illuminator, TO-66 LED, LED current driver, LED heat sink, LED cooling fan (http://www.roithner-laser.com/LED_HP_single_chip.html)

The diodes in that link are not pulse diodes,you need pulse diodes for a jammer.
If you plan on building a jammer with Laser Diodes,I suggest that you get the ones that have drivers already built in.LD's are very "fragile" and burn out very easily.I think it would be more simple (and cheaper too),if you build your first prototype with pulsed laser LED's instead of LD's.