PDA

View Full Version : Is 2 heads enough for Audi A4?

vliou
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Audi A4 - was wondering if 2 heads is enough for the laser interceptor...1 in front and 1 behind?...don't really have the budget for 4....

Thanks for the help...

oahuyahoo
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd wait until I had the budget for a quad.

fire65
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
From what I understand in my own search, you can buy the dual head and add two more later when funds allow.

Just1n
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I would suggest you buy the dual and place BOTH heads up front and then add two heads in the rear when funds permit.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, 90% of the time your front is what needs the protection.

speed-dreams
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
It's the same thing now or later because if you add the price for the extra heads to the dual, you get the price of a quad...

riverwabbit703
02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I would suggest you buy the dual and place BOTH heads up front and then add two heads in the rear when funds permit.

I don't know about your area, but in my area, 90% of the time your front is what needs the protection.

I have yet been hit by a laser in the rear but when overpass is in my view I scope it out carefully and slow down regardless.

djrams80
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM
No, two heads is not enough to cover both the front and the back. A short range encounter, or something with a small beam will eat you alive, especially on a headlight shot. The suggestion to buy the dual, then add the rear sensors at a later time, is an excellent one.

vliou
02-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks Guys - as I am on a budget, your suggestions do help.

What I don't get is that LPP you can buy one head...are they saying that's enough then? One in the front and one in the back? Considering GoL has said LI > LPP...i'm confused...

Thanks

Stealth Stalker
02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
What I don't get is that LPP you can buy one head...are they saying that's enough then? One in the front and one in the back? Considering GoL has said LI > LPP...i'm confused...
Both up front. One head of anything is not enough for most cars. Go watch some videos and see how it works, and you'll be less confused.

speed-dreams
02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
^ this guy knows what he's talking about...
Eg. If you got headlights that go over the sides of your car, then you might need more than a dual head to cover the front of your car.

speed-dreams
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks
Because they're designed to operate differently...

djrams80
02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

ThanksOne head LPP is not enough either. At less than 500 ft, the laser beam is less than a foot wide. If that beam doesn't hit your sensor, your jammer will not see it and you get instant PT.

speed-dreams
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
One head LPP is not enough either. At less than 500 ft, the laser beam is less than a foot wide. If that beam doesn't hit your sensor, your jammer will not see it and you get instant PT.
I tested my single head a while back and got JTG and all PTs were 200 ft or below, but again my car is low profile :)

dorcse
02-22-2009, 06:34 AM
One head LPP is not enough either. At less than 500 ft, the laser beam is less than a foot wide. If that beam doesn't hit your sensor, your jammer will not see it and you get instant PT.

Ahhh.. at 500 feet that beam is actually 18" wide.. not less than a foot.

Anyway, for the poster who asked, yes it's a good idea to use two heads up front.

Tip: Measure the distance from each of the the sensor (bubbles) to your front plate (if you have one).

Then measure the distance of your left sensor (bubble) to your left headlight edge.

Do the same for the right sensor to your right headlight edge.

If each of the above meaurements are within 18" I think you will have excellent covearge with the LI (as do I).

Best,

Ed

PMoth
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
PMoth is going to play the Devil's advocate. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.evolutionm.net/get/images/smilies/devillook.gif 1 LI head is enough for sufficient coverage on the front of the A4. Assuming that head is level and aligned properly, I have no doubt in my mind that it will out-jam any 2 head LED jammer available. As usual, I've tested this on a few vehicles.
The rear is a different story though. Because I haven't tested a single LI head on the rear, I'm not going to assume anything. However, I do believe that @ 200ft of more away from the gun, the perfomance will be near JTG and easily better coverage than any 2 head LED system.

speed-dreams
02-22-2009, 12:32 PM
dorcse (http://www.radardetector.net/forums/members/dorcse.html),
I don't think having the receiver inward would affect performance, there's only 5 cm between the receiver and the emitter. I tested this during the Htown meet and it was JTG as well...

PMoth
02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
dorcse (http://www.radardetector.net/forums/members/dorcse.html),
I don't think having the receiver inward would affect performance, there's only 5 cm between the receiver and the emitter. I tested this during the Htown meet and it was JTG as well...

I beg to differ. If you observe my single head testing videos, PT on the edges of the headlights occurred on the side of the vehicle furthest away from the receiver. This was repeatable. The issue with your testing was that the detection range of the LI was enough to cloak the vehicle you were testing, no matter which way the receiver was positioned. Repeat your test with a single head mounted center on a vehicle or with a dual head mounted on a Hummer H2. I guarantee you'll see a difference in perimeter detection depending on the orientation of the receiving diode.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 18" rule is awesome for most units but the LI's detection eclipses that of anything else. Every "properly set-up" single head test that I've conducted or seen validates this. Members seem to latch onto Blinder's 18" and apply it to everything.

vliou
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. As usual again, I'm confused. There is so much conflicting information here - could someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

I have a budget of about $800. That would get me a LPP dual, or a LI dual.

Now I do live in Ontario / which means I would be safer with a LPP if I got pulled over right? The whole marketing thing...

But I do understand that LI is a stronger jammer. I am hoping to put one in front and one behind and maybe take my chances....=| any comments?

Thanks again for all your help folks!

speed-dreams
02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I beg to differ. If you observe my single head testing videos, PT on the edges of the headlights occurred on the side of the vehicle furthest away from the receiver. This was repeatable. The issue with your testing was that the detection range of the LI was enough to cloak the vehicle you were testing, no matter which way the receiver was positioned. Repeat your test with a single head mounted center on a vehicle or with a dual head mounted on a Hummer H2. I guarantee you'll see a difference in perimeter detection depending on the orientation of the receiving diode.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 18" rule is awesome for most units but the LI's detection eclipses that of anything else. Every "properly set-up" single head test that I've conducted or seen validates this. Members seem to latch onto Blinder's 18" and apply it to everything.I agree with everything you said, I should've mentioned that the car was a Compact car. I agree with you on the 18" rule as well, I don't think it applies to every single case.

Stealth Stalker
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
There really is nothing to be confused about since the LPP isn't around anymore and is outdated. The LI is the only current choice for a diode jammer.

Unfortunately, you have not shown us a picture or given us a description of your car, so an absolute recommendation cannot be made for you. I absolutely would not recommend the use of a single head of any jammer on any vehicle that was not tiny and black, with no chrome or front licence plate. Unless by some very slim chance that applies to you, you need to stick both heads up front and then save your money for rear heads ASAP.

Of course, you could always just slow the fuk down and save yourself 800 bucks. If you don't have the budget for quality countermeasures, then you don't have the budget for speeding either.

hockey005
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
u can always save up for the extra 2 heads for the back later

PMoth
02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. As usual again, I'm confused. There is so much conflicting information here - could someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Now I do live in Ontario / which means I would be safer with a LPP if I got pulled over right? The whole marketing thing...

But I do understand that LI is a stronger jammer. I am hoping to put one in front and one behind and maybe take my chances....=| any comments?

Thanks again for all your help folks!
There is really nothing to be confused about. If $800 is your budget, buy the LI. If used as suggested, you won't have an issue with the cops. If you get pulled over with the LPP for JTG'ing a cop, I would imagine that they would still rip you a new one. Again, check out my videos on youtube for a review of the LI single head perfomance. It'll give you an idea of what to expect. Also, my post above realistically addresses your concerns.
Seriously, the performance of 1 LI head > 2 Blinder heads. By that logic, why the h3ll would anyone install a Blinder M25 on the front of their vehicle? Because it offers ticket saving performance. I was curious about the coverage offered by 1 LI head so I tested it. I was curious to see how the LI's performed when obstructed so I tested it. I was curious to see how the LI and other jammers performed when installed vertically, so I tested it. So now I have an idea of how these things work in different scenarios when they are leveled and aligned (aka installed correctly). TIFWIW.

crazyVOLVOrob
02-22-2009, 06:17 PM
check the GOL website for a review of the LI single head against various guns.
That single head use was a Prototype head with twin transmisiting diodes....Similar to the current LI HP set-up, nothing like the current regular LI

Stealth Stalker
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I was curious to see how the LI and other jammers performed when installed vertically, so I tested it. So now I have an idea of how these things work in different scenarios when they are leveled and aligned (aka installed correctly).
Do the different scenarios include elevated shots, downward on-ramp shots, and off-axis headlight shots? Those are where single head set-ups are going to show their weakness. And both LI saves I have had were of that sort.

Correct levelling and alignment is important if the cop shooting you is correctly levelled and aligned. If he is elevated and off-axis, you'd be better off with heads that are neither levelled or aligned. Consequently, it is important to clarify that it is important to keeping your set-up optimised for all-round performance. However, perfectly aligned and levelled heads are not necessarily the best for each individual scenario.

PMoth
02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Do the different scenarios include elevated shots, downward on-ramp shots, and off-axis headlight shots? Those are where single head set-ups are going to show their weakness. And both LI saves I have had were of that sort.

Correct levelling and alignment is important if the cop shooting you is correctly levelled and aligned. If he is elevated and off-axis, you'd be better off with heads that are neither levelled or aligned. Consequently, it is important to clarify that it is important to keeping your set-up optimised for all-round performance. However, perfectly aligned and levelled heads are not necessarily the best for each individual scenario.

I've been conducting and posted elevated testing shots a good while before you. I've also tested off-axis headlight shots even though they are a waste of time. You say they will show their weakness, I say they will show how capable they are. With a single head setup, off-axis protection will be better than not having any protection at all and it'll be better than a dual LED setup. I've had 2 saves from point blank range. In both those instances, a single LI head may have been enough to cover my car. But you never know...

Your second paragraph/argument makes no sense. I'm sorry.

PMoth
02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
That single head use was a Prototype head with twin transmisiting diodes....Similar to the current LI HP set-up, nothing like the current regular LI

You're correct. I mistook the rear 2 head LI test at the 2008 GOL review for a single front. Don't know what I was thinking about.

category4
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Get the 2 head LI and put both heads up front and get 2 more for the rear when funds permit. The LI has the same parking feature if you think that will help if you get stopped. The LPP is not comparable to the LI in my book. They are still working on a Truspeed fix and I don't see it coming anytime soon. With LI you get Cliff's great customer service as well.

Stealth Stalker
02-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Your second paragraph/argument makes no sense. I'm sorry.
Skip to the last sentence. That was the crux. I wasn't arguing your point. I was just qualifying it.

I have yet to do any off-axis testing where more than one perfectly levelled and aligned LI system wasn't pwn3d. The point being that levelling and alignment, while very important, are not a guarantee of invincibility.

PMoth
02-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Skip to the last sentence. That was the crux. I wasn't arguing your point. I was just qualifying it.

I have yet to do any off-axis testing where more than one perfectly levelled and aligned LI system wasn't pwn3d. The point being that levelling and alignment, while very important, are not a guarantee of invincibility.

It still didn't make sense. You were "qualifying" my point? But then post "However, perfectly aligned and leveled heads are not necessarily the best for each individual scenario." OK then, lets all drive around with heads that aren't aligned straight or leveled. Hey, we may jam a cop like Fritter, who sits some crazy-azz distance "X" from the road for no F'ing reason, but we'll end up getting our @ss pwned in 99% of the other "standard" laser encounters here in North America.

The manufactures all seem to agree on a few things. Heads should be installed level, aligned, and with an unobstructed view of the road. And the LI is the BIG FISH in the little pond.

speed-dreams
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Keep in mind that there's a Canadian LPP dealer with stellar CS, you don't have to deal with international shipping or duties.

vliou
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Well...I just bought a dual head...can't wait!! - going on my silver Audi A4...any installation tips?

PS - That was expensive, hopefully none of the OPP start using LA's and bust my butt...

Pic here:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8761/a40001.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a40001.jpg)

AirMoore
02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
If I was you:

I would go just under the Quattro badge (just above the 'solid black' part of the grill), as far out towards the headlights as possible... one for each side.

This would cover (IMO) the headlights, LP and large flat/silver-bumper sections under the Hl's as best as possible.

vliou
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks / the problem is then I would have to cut into the grill...what if I put it near the fog lights? What do you think? Thanks!

djrams80
02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks / the problem is then I would have to cut into the grill...what if I put it near the fog lights? What do you think? Thanks!The optimal position is where AirMoore said, however, since your car doesn't seem that hard to protect and you bought an LI, I think where you are proposing might just work. If you decide to go that route, definitely test it to be sure, then decide from there if it's good enough.

vliou
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks, the sad part is I don't have a laser tester...=) guess it's trial and error =)

djrams80
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks, the sad part is I don't have a laser tester...=) guess it's trial and error =)I don't know where you live, but there are many members around here that own laser guns and would probably help you test your setup, if it's not too much trouble for them. You could also rent or buy a laser gun to test your setup.