PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of 9500ci

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Just recently took delivery of a 535i and thinking of installing the 9500ci, primarily because it's a great RD and I can integrate it to the car pretty well.

Any opinions of the 9500ci's laser jamming (shifting) feature? Is it really necessary to use another jammer (LI, Blinder) in addition to the 9500ci's shifters?

trailtow
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
many members have got decent results out of the zr4's when veil is added to headlights. I would say add the LI its great to know you are fully protected.

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
That's one thing I can't do is Veil my headlights. GA (especially where I live) is pretty strict about it. Plus the significant other (I call her "boss") won't go for it.

Obsidian
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Check some of DJRAM80's threads. He's had the 9500ci as long as anybody. I think the consensus is the 9500ci is the best radar detector available, but the shifters are not so hot. Depending on the guns used in your area, they may be adequate, but then again they may not.

Radar Detector Tests and Reviews by Guys of LIDAR (http://guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html)

trailtow
03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Then go LI I know a few guys on the forum have done 5 series install that have turned out pretty nice with the LI just make sure the ci antenna has a clear view of the road just like the jammer for optimal use

djrams80
03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
The 9500ci's laser jammers work decently well, but could be problematic on short range encounters. Now, when you add Veil, they turn into a top notch laser jammer.

Here is a video of my 9500ci vs. the PLII(a very difficult gun to jam) before Veil:

YouTube - 9500ci(ZR4s) vs Kustom PLII

And after Veil:

YouTube - Kustom Pro Laser II vs 9500ci(ZR4s) with Veil G4 Added

happya$$
03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Veil G4 makes any LED jammer perform VERY well and when you pair it with a 9500CI you end up with a killer combo

trailtow
03-24-2009, 07:42 PM
but he doesn't want to ad veil a no no where he is and from the "Boss" aka old ball and chain :)

happya$$
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
if no Veil then hell no. The ZR4 by itself is one of the poorest performing jammers on the market plain and simple

crazyVOLVOrob
03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
if no Veil then hell no. The ZR4 by itself is one of the poorest performing jammers on the market plain and simple
I agree

------------------------------------------------------
VEIL is barely visible when applied as per the instructions....There are many members in GA that use VEIL with no issue

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Maybe I should just keep my 9500ix and just do a LI install?

What's the general opinion of LI v. Blinders?

Also, I've heard some rumors that sometimes the jammers will malfunction and cause erroneous readings on LIDAR guns. Can anyone confirm this? I would hate to be running 50 in a 35 but the LIDAR gun show I'm doing 60 or more.

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 10:30 PM
VEIL is barely visible when applied as per the instructions....There are many members in GA that use VEIL with no issue

How hard is it to remove Veil if you don't like it? Will it leave any residue?

speed-dreams
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Relatively easy to remove, no residue if you remove it carefully...
Are you on a budget?

djrams80
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Maybe I should just keep my 9500ix and just do a LI install?9500ix + LI is very good protection.

What's the general opinion of LI v. Blinders?LI is the best of the best. Blinder is not at that level.

Also, I've heard some rumors that sometimes the jammers will malfunction and cause erroneous readings on LIDAR guns. Can anyone confirm this? I would hate to be running 50 in a 35 but the LIDAR gun show I'm doing 60 or more.Not true.

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Relatively easy to remove, no residue if you remove it carefully...
Are you on a budget?
No, not on a budget. The girl won't go for the blackened out look of the headlights though. If it's installed properly and you can't tell they're not clear, then I will go with the Veil option too.

M6D
03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
No, not on a budget. The girl won't go for the blackened out look of the headlights though. If it's installed properly and you can't tell they're not clear, then I will go with the Veil option too.

If you're not on a budget, I'd definitely go with 9500ci and LI. Maybe even throw in a V1 for good measure. I live in Georgia and drive a similar car. Sometimes the 9500 picks up threats first, sometimes it's the V1.

The easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to use the 9500ix and add an LI. I added the 9500ci about two weeks after the LI, and wish I'd done them at the same time; running the cables takes several hours; best to get it all done at once.

I've had no rear laser encounters, but would recommend the quad head LI just to be safe.

If you're within driving distance of the north Atlanta area, I'd also recommend getting your setup tested at a get-together.

geekmedic
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm in Cobb County (you know, infamous for our speed enforcement -- these people are speed nazis!).

How expensive are the LI's? Who sells them in Atlanta? Someone had recommended Kevin James of Marietta for the 9500ci install. Any experience with him?

Not sure I would do both the 9500ci and the LI install, unless I disabled the 9500ci's shifters. Not sure I would want to try disabling two jammers when I get hit. Then again, maybe I'll just let them JTG? Nah, would be too suspicious.

djrams80
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm in Cobb County (you know, infamous for our speed enforcement -- these people are speed nazis!).

How expensive are the LI's?$1225 for the quad, $700 for the dual.

Who sells them in Atlanta?Only one US distributor, forum member Laser-InterceptorUSA. PM him.

Someone had recommended Kevin James of Marietta for the 9500ci install. Any experience with him?

Not sure I would do both the 9500ci and the LI install, unless I disabled the 9500ci's shifters. Not sure I would want to try disabling two jammers when I get hit.I do this and I must admit, it does get a bit hectic.

YouTube - Laser Trap

Then again, maybe I'll just let them JTG? Nah, would be too suspicious.Please don't. There are enough geniuses out there JTGing LEOs and pissing them off. We don't need any more.

The Breeze
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM

How expensive are the LI's? Who sells them in Atlanta? Someone had recommended Kevin James of Marietta for the 9500ci install. Any experience with him?

Not sure I would do both the 9500ci and the LI install, unless I disabled the 9500ci's shifters. Not sure I would want to try disabling two jammers when I get hit. Then again, maybe I'll just let them JTG? Nah, would be too suspicious.

I run my shifters in receive only mode for directional purposes so I know what end I getting hit from and let the LI do the jamming.

M6D
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM

I have the 9500 and LI kill switches right beside each other and can kill both at the same time - forefinger for LI/V1 and middle finger for 9500ci.

I used Bill Head at AutoRadio in Tucker for both my LI and 9500 install. Great work. PM me if you want his cell number. He's done jammer installs on two previous vehicles and audio mods on at least 5 for me over the last 10 years. He started carrying the 9500ci after I had mine installed. The laser interceptor was in my hands 2 days after I ordered it. Great service there, too.

MEM-TEK
03-25-2009, 12:03 AM

You can set the 9500ci's shifters to "receive only" mode and then let the LI's do the jamming. Note that the 9500ci's shifters are very sensitive to laser -- easily as good as just about any other laser jammer system is at picking up laser.

thestaton
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I did not see where you had made a decision on your purchase yet. The 9500CI is excellent when it comes to radar detection, and poor to awful when it comes to doing anything with laser.

But we can have some creative brainstorming...

Option 1.
I think the best idea is to keep the 9500IX, and add a LI.

Option 2.
Keep the 9500IX, add a LI, and add a Bel STi-R. The LI doesn't need a backup, but I've found that if you want to go all out, you need a backup for any radar detector.

Example: I run a 9500CI & V1. They don't interfere with each other, so they place nice. But on several occasions I've had one alert before the other, and on a few occasions I've had one alert and the other remain silent.

Option 3:

Keep 9500IX, Add 9500CI. Radar detection will be amazing, but since the ZR4 blows it's not a good option. You could add VEIL, but unless you know the guy who does DJRams work it's not a good option on a new car.

Option 4:

Sell 9500IX. Buy Valentine 3.813 on eBay & have it tuned up. Total cost will be around 350 to 450.

From here you can add either a STI-R or a STi. Then for laser pick up a dual LI.

Let us know what you decide.

jump23
03-29-2009, 07:08 AM
You could add VEIL, but unless you know the guy who does DJRams work it's not a good option on a new car.

Can you expand on this?

I am currently trying to decide if I should add veil to a brand new car so that comment caught my attention.

category4
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Veil if applied lightly is barely noticeable. It will only be noticeable if parked next to an identical car. I have it on my F-150 and never has anyone even commented about it.

MEM-TEK
03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
^^ I've seen Cat's F-150. Looking at it, I didn't notice that he had applied Veil to it until he mentioned it. A very light coat of Veil is supposed to be very effective compared to no Veil at all.