PDA

View Full Version : High angle off the nose targeting

WaltBurkett
06-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I know Stealth Stalker has mentioned that he is seeing more high angle off the nose targeting and today I witnessed it myself. While on HW35 just South of Denton, Texas while in the far left lane heading South I noticed a LEO to my right on the right side of the access road a couple hundred feet to the side of the highway. I noticed him before he started targeting me and already slowed down but was surprised when he actually hit me. I was thinking he was solely looking for access road traffic. (Very low aspect) I estimate the distance at first alert at around 700 feet and his azimuth as about 30-40 degrees right of my nose. I heard the LI alert but could not hear the make of the gun since my convertible top was down.
I almost did not slow since I believed he was not looking at highway traffic but as I went by I noticed he had immediate access to the freeway via the on ramp just a few hundred feet further down from where he positioned himself. I think he definitely was not concerned about the cosign error. (In my favor, unless he factors that is or the angle can be entered into the gun parameters.)
So the moral of this story is widen your visual search gates.
Walt

PMoth
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Pretty glad we don't have to worry about this too often in the NE. The furthest I've seen them camped out off the side of the road using laser was 40-50 ft and that was a town cop. In RI, I've witnessed a Statie running CO K-band while stationary 100-150 ft off the road in a field @ 1am. You guys in TX have it bad. :(

BlinderGuy
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I know Stealth Stalker has mentioned that he is seeing more high angle off the nose targeting and today I witnessed it myself. While on HW35 just South of Denton, Texas while in the far left lane heading South I noticed a LEO to my right on the right side of the access road a couple hundred feet to the side of the highway. I noticed him before he started targeting me and already slowed down but was surprised when he actually hit me. I was thinking he was solely looking for access road traffic. (Very low aspect) I estimate the distance at first alert at around 700 feet and his azimuth as about 30-40 degrees right of my nose. I heard the LI alert but could not hear the make of the gun since my convertible top was down.
I almost did not slow since I believed he was not looking at highway traffic but as I went by I noticed he had immediate access to the freeway via the on ramp just a few hundred feet further down from where he positioned himself. I think he definitely was not concerned about the cosign error. (In my favor, unless he factors that is or the angle can be entered into the gun parameters.)
So the moral of this story is widen your visual search gates.
Walt

We actually tested the Blinder M47 with that type of angle at the Atlanta test and the cosign error was so bad that our test speed was 45 and the gun would read between 30-35mph depending on the gun.