PDA

View Full Version : For those in snowy climates...

synmoo
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
http://images.synmoo.com/gti/rx75/cleanthem.jpg

Keep your transponders clean! I noticed mine this morning. It should have been kind of a 'duh' thing considering my car is covered in salt.

I'll be using my laser tester before cleaning and after cleaning to see how much of a detection difference it makes. I'm sure it'll be profound.

Mackid343
12-08-2005, 01:56 PM
you wont have much laser reflection from your car with all that salt anyway! its like veil for the whole front of your car :wink: :lol:

Won Hunglo
12-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you ever speed in thoughs conditions?

Won Hunglo
12-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Better yet, is it possible to slow down if you get an alert?

Mackid343
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
well, when its snowing you cant really speed becuase its unsafe, and if you are, you wont be able to slow down for anything fast. wether it be a cop or a car in front of you. but once its not snowing and the highways are clear and dry again, then its just like normal again :D

Mackid343
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
it'll be interesting to see how the transponders react when they have some salt on them... i bet it will cut the reception and jamming down a lot. please keep us posted synmoo

SmaartAasSaabr
12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Doesn't really matter if there is snow, in winter your car will look like that after a few days of driving, and that's when the weather is nice!

Won Hunglo
12-08-2005, 07:24 PM
it'll be interesting to see how the transponders react when they have some salt on them... i bet it will cut the reception and jamming down a lot. please keep us posted synmoo

Since they must receive & transmit light they will not work very good if at all.

Radar Roy
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Since they must receive & transmit light they will not work very good if at all.

I had a customer call me tonight from Canada, all pissed off cause he got a laser ticket with a Blinder. Asked him the condition of his heads and he admitted that they were "cruddy" with salt and grime

SmaartAasSaabr
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Roy, you think there would be a market if I could develop a system similar to the headlight washers on Saabs for lidar jammers? A little spritzer of washer fluid right on the face...

Nothegger
12-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Antilaser has a video on his website, about AL5 I think, tested in winter conditions. It was all covered in dirt and it still worked normally. Maybe a benefit of a laser diode jammer vs LED?

synmoo
12-09-2005, 11:22 AM
To clarify, of course I'm not going to speed in dangerous conditions. I'm not an idiot like your average ricer that has the pedal to the floor at every opportunity, safe or not. I have nothing to prove.

We got a bit of a dusting here a few days ago and there was a lot of salt on the roads. Lots of splatter on to the cars. After a full day of sun and people driving on them, the highways are typically dry as a bone. Unless you've washed your car you're still covered in salt but it's prefectly safe to ride at highway speeds. That's where you're going to get nailed.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lidar gun here and my point and shoot digital has an IR filter on it. My DSLR may not though so I'll try and see if I can get a shot of the heads in action while obstructed by salt/crud mix.

UPDATE: Just verifed with a remote control that my DSLR does not have an IR filter. I'll give this a shot tonight and post my result.

sethy
12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Yea guys, if it is snowing, or if there is snow on the road- your laser jammer wont do jack....

Snow/ slush will cover that thing pretty darn fast. But if there is snow on the ground, or slush you shouldnt be speeding in the first place...

The only anti-laser products that arent affected by weather is the laser shield and VEIL

synmoo
12-12-2005, 01:20 PM
The pictures I took don't show much. The beam is a but fuzzy before the cleaning and much more focused after. I was hoping for a more dramatic difference.

Only way to really tell how much they are effected would be to do targeting range tests.

Of course, general rule of thumb is, if there gunk on your transponders, they aren't going to work as well.