PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get hit from the rear?

Unkind
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before, but the search feature is frustrating me. How often do you guys who live in areas where laser is prevalent get hit on the back of your vehicle? Just curious, since I have yet to find a sensible mounting solution to protect the rear of a pickup truck. :)

Solidjake
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
In 3 years I only had 2 rear laser alerts from my V1. Both were at night and I did not see any LEO's around... Might have been HID lights or something.

Stealth Stalker
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Good point. If you have a good jammer, you'll never know you've been hit from the rear, because you won't be pulled over. Unless you have a V1, there's no other way to really know, except for those very rare times when the officer is blatantly obvious.

As far as I know, I've only been hit once from the rear, and that was in the Floridia panhandle. But I've seen officers doing it countless times.

AcuraTL
04-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Never, Im not gay...

Holla
04-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I have and it sucks.....got a ticket to prove it:D

oahuyahoo
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Here they'll shoot you from the front and if that doesn't work, they'll turn around and shoot you in the rear.

corkguykev
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I have had one confirmed save from a rear hit by my rear LPP dual nearly 2 years ago. I have not seen any rear laser on that road since the PSL was raised to 120KMH but it was so bad for it before that, I used to call it laser alley.

It was in a similar situation to the one on this video..

YouTube - Rear laser trap.

I guess they were making the most revenue they could of it with the little time they had left :rolleyes:.

Unkind
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
That video just convinced me to invest in 4 more heads for my rear, now to figure out where to place them. -_-

Z1NONLY
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I have one save from a rear laser shot.

Limited SLIP
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I've never had a rear laser shot as far as I know

Swamp
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Unking,
Post pics of your truck in the "Advice on Placement" forum. If you don't want to show your actual truck, google and post pics of a the same model. Block out the license plate.

category4
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I've been hit in the rear 4 times in the last year. All would have been ugly had I not had jammers.

Stealth Stalker
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I've been hit in the rear 4 times in the last year. All would have been ugly had I not had jammers.
Yeah, I am betting that, had I not had to give up driving less than a year after getting my jammers, I would have encountered a lot more rear shots in the last two years, considering the California - Texas - Floridia route I frequent. All three places are notorious for rear laser.

jmward
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I see GSP in my rearview mirror all the time sitting on the HOV on ramps around Atlanta. I don't know that they're shooting laser, but they definitely aren't using radar, and knowing the Georgia State Patrol, I doubt they're just monitoring HOV use.

Unkind
04-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Swamp - I did in another thread. I had some great suggestions for the 4 heads on the front that I saved to a folder on my desktop for when I do the install. Nobody had anything for the rear.

jermstyle
04-15-2010, 07:08 AM
My V1 has notified me that I’ve been lasered from behind a couple of times, but it could have also been ‘scatter’ from the other side of the freeway. I’m planning to get rear heads because I see too many opportunities for LEO’s to tag me, but it’s definitely bias to the front of the car.

For the most part, cops are lazy. They like to have time to get in there car and pull you over without losing their spot so they usually (around here) laser from so far away that you don’t even see them for a few seconds, then jump in their cars and wait.

DrCoke
04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I get a few rear hits per year and got owned by one of them when I purchased another car and didnt install rear jammers. Get rear jammers!!!

Stealth Stalker
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
For the most part, cops are lazy. They like to have time to get in there car and pull you over without losing their spot so they usually (around here) laser from so far away that you don’t even see them for a few seconds, then jump in their cars and wait.
Interesting take. But if they were really that lazy, they'd shoot you from behind so they wouldn't have to get out of their cars in the first place.

corkguykev
04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree SS. I have seen plenty rear laser traps over here throughout the years and I cannot see how it is easier to shoot from the rear and then go after the speeder. The target car will have a huge head start and they have to really hammer it after them to catch them.

Plenty other front on laser traps make more sense to me having seen them. LIDAR on a tripod and paint the oncoming car before they even could see the LEOs and then casually walk out and pull them over. Chase car on standby just in case.

Seems a lot easier than rear laser out the window of the car from an onramp to me and safer too due to the lack of having to really work hard to catch up with a speeder that has no clue they have been tagged :confused:.

Stealth Stalker
04-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Seems a lot easier than rear laser out the window of the car from an onramp to me and safer too due to the lack of having to really work hard to catch up with a speeder that has no clue they have been tagged :confused:.
Hell of a lot safer and smarter than stepping out in front of a speeding car.

And not all rear shots are from on-ramps. Use your imagination.

corkguykev
04-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Hell of a lot safer and smarter than stepping out in front of a speeding car.

And not all rear shots are from on-ramps. Use your imagination.

I agree but they are usually in hi visibility jackets here and they wave people down from the shoulder so they don't actually walk out onto a motorway (in front of the speeder) to pull them over. Hard to miss those yellow jackets and the similarly marked car when you see them, even at a distance. It seems to work for them anyway. They don't exactly run out into traffic either to do this.

All the rear laser I have seen here has been pretty much the same as the video I posted previously.

A patrol car up on the onramp, lasers speeder as they pass below, chases them down and tickets them. I do not know the law here but they do seem to show you the speed on the laser gun so maybe it is a requirement to show the speed to the offender :dontknow:.

I do realise that rear laser can be used from more than on-ramps ;) but I was just commenting on my local LEO tactics :).

justin81
04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
got owned by one of them when I purchased another car and didnt install rear jammers.

so the van finally got you? :D

DrCoke
04-15-2010, 07:51 PM
H@ll no!!, a local Leo in the bush got me.

Oyusan
04-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Never that I know of. Then again, my windows are tinted and my detector is mounted too high in the windshield to pick up the rear. Even if it wasn't, my detector couldn't pick up rear because of my super dark tint.

I'm debating whether to put a quad jammer on my car next time so i can get rear coverage. Part of me is 98% sure I should be safe. Or am I? What if I am unlucky and I get shot in the rear? Maybe I should get rear protection. Yes! More protection. I need peace of mind. Definitely a quad jammer. =D

-Oyu

Stealth Stalker
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Part of me is 98% sure I should be safe.
LOL! In California, there is not even a question about it.

Unkind
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Never that I know of. Then again, my windows are tinted and my detector is mounted too high in the windshield to pick up the rear. Even if it wasn't, my detector couldn't pick up rear because of my super dark tint.

I'm debating whether to put a quad jammer on my car next time so i can get rear coverage. Part of me is 98% sure I should be safe. Or am I? What if I am unlucky and I get shot in the rear? Maybe I should get rear protection. Yes! More protection. I need peace of mind. Definitely a quad jammer. =D

-Oyu

Hey look on the bright side, at least you don't drive a truck and need 2 quad jammers like I do! :p

Oyusan
04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Part of me is 98% sure I should be safe.
LOL! In California, there is not even a question about it.

Lol, yeah. Although CHP are pretty ownage, I find that most of them are lazy. I don't even fear city cops... they are a joke compared to the CHP. Maybe there are some rookies that are eager to write tickets and are well versed with Lidar and jamming, but I still have the advantage. Prolaser III doesn't even alert to laser... and others that do will sometimes false alert often. As long as they don't see the heads sticking out, I think I am safe. Other than that, when I drive, I am always paying attention and ready for instant on.

Granted they can wait in a bush and wait ONLY for me to come by to turn it on. I feel safe though. :P

-Oyu

Hey look on the bright side, at least you don't drive a truck and need 2 quad jammers like I do! :p

True that. lol... though I have considered getting a dual quad jammer (though I don't need one)... just to feel bulletproof.

category4
04-16-2010, 04:53 AM
A year ago rear laser was unheard of in GA and since the Super Speeder law passed I have been shot 3 times in the rear.

Rear protection is a must anymore.

The favorite tactic on Interstates now is to sit on a overpass and shoot both directions, If you are running front protection only it's just a matter of time before you get to talk to a GA LEO.

justin81
04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
H@ll no!!, a local Leo in the bush got me.

Damn. What department?

Swamp
04-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Unkind,
Here's my install. The second set of rear heads are on my headache rack.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/show-off-your-install/57490-li-quad-ford-f250.html

Unkind
04-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Hmm I don't have a rack like that on my truck, not sure where I could put the other 2 heads, I like the placement of the first 2 though between the bumper and tailgate! I'm going to be using 2xM47 setups 4 front 4 rear, just need to figure out where to put the other 2 heads in the rear.