PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra over time - worth it?

OpenRoad
05-15-2010, 02:06 PM
The guy that did my window tint is also (being a good business person, of course) trying to convince me to ditch my regular bra for a clear one. He talked about how the regular bras trap dirt and sandpaper your paint, etc. (Though I am pretty anal about the car, all my cars, and in my case I remove the bra every week, do a total car wash, and re-wax the frontal area if needed). Since I drive (at least for now) a lot of miles each month, across sandy, dusty deserts and behind semi-trucks, I need front end protection. Since I had the tint done he offered to do the front end of car with VentureShield for $400. From poking around on other forums, like the Corvette forum, this is a pretty good deal.

Just wondering if anyone has run with this and how they hold up over time and miles.

I also thought of keeping the existing bra over clear one, should I get it, to add a little something extra to the LI's I am planning to add before summer.

http://www.myroadtripplanner.com/radarstuff/HondaCivicBra.jpg

OpenRoad
05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
?:confused:

The Chariot
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Part of the front of my truck has it, for 30,000 miles. Its held up but honestly a show truck isn't the best example because it never sees rain and stays in the garage when not driven.

AirMoore
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I prefer no bra... gets to the action quicker... plus I know up-front how nice they really are...

:confused:

See my avatar for more details...

Oh wait, wait... this is the CAR section... sorry. Oh yeah, yeah I got no opinion on that. :D

(Really though)... I had my 1G talon with a (1/2) mini-bra for it... and to be honest I didn't clear it out as much as I should have... and it still ended up looking better than the rest of the hood: Because all the chips that would have formed from rocks and debris on the thruway etc... were not there... where the rest of the hood had nicks/divots/chips that wax couldn't solve.

So if you wash and wax under the Bra every week, the only impact you might see is the odd fading of the hood with Bra vs no bra.

Never had a use for the clear ones personally...

lugnuts
05-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I have seen cars that have had the clear bra on for several years and over time they look like crap. honestly they look like crap from the get go. whats the point of them? yea I know to keep them from getting chipped up but for what? are people going to remove them some day to enjoy the look of the car all nice?

to me its like the little old lady with the plastic all over the furniture. they make it last longer but its uncomfortable and ugly.

now the regular bra at least gives it a different look, reduces your lidar signature and in some cases makes cars look cooler.

The Chariot
05-16-2010, 09:47 AM
I have seen cars that have had the clear bra on for several years and over time they look like crap. honestly they look like crap from the get go. whats the point of them? yea I know to keep them from getting chipped up but for what? are people going to remove them some day to enjoy the look of the car all nice?

to me its like the little old lady with the plastic all over the furniture. they make it last longer but its uncomfortable and ugly.

now the regular bra at least gives it a different look, reduces your lidar signature and in some cases makes cars look cooler.

Depends a lot on the paint color and who's film it is. There are some brands where you cannot tell they are there and others which yellow fast and look like crap! There's even a spray on, when install by a good professional is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the vehicle (a member here with a Porsche has it and I didn't know until he pointed it out).

srtga
05-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd stick with the black bra and save my $$ on the clear. I always figured the clear bras were for folks who couldn't live with the looks of a regular bra...

I need a windshield bra. Does anyone else go through windshields like tires?

lugnuts
05-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Depends a lot on the paint color and who's film it is. There are some brands where you cannot tell they are there and others which yellow fast and look like crap! There's even a spray on, when install by a good professional is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the vehicle (a member here with a Porsche has it and I didn't know until he pointed it out).

I suppose but I have seen some high end jobs and I can still see them and to me they all look like crap.

I'd stick with the black bra and save my $$ on the clear. I always figured the clear bras were for folks who couldn't live with the looks of a regular bra...

I need a windshield bra. Does anyone else go through windshields like tires?

my Jeep does :mad: I still need to get a new one for it and tires, so for now it just sits next to my TA (which needs one too)

OpenRoad
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM
I guess for the time being, I'll stick with what I have. Besides, the funds for that should really go toward my LI's. :D

Lucky225
05-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I guess for the time being, I'll stick with what I have. Besides, the funds for that should really go toward my LI's. :D

x2:p

Fantom2993
05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I had one when I had my lightning. It was on for the 18 months I owned the truck until it got wrecked, but it still looked good.

I had my front bumper repainted on my Harley F250 and had an appointment to have the clear bra put on, on the way there it wound up with 3 rock chips, I just gave up and deal with repainting the chips and blending them and all that crap.

paulfromtulsa
06-15-2010, 04:04 PM
i have my entire car wrapped in a clear bra. i love it and will do the same on any car i purchase in the future. dont have to worry about paint chips and people brushing against your car.

camkuhns
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
My wife's truck has a clear bra of some kind on it and it is 5 years old and it has held up very well. I like the idea, too about putting on a clear bra and then putting a regular bra on top.

mellowbob
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Had my clear bra for 4 years now. Saved me a few dings on the freeway. Had been hit with large rocks and actually dented the hood but the paint was saved. A PDR guy fixed it like new for $40. You have to take care of it or it will get dull. I think I have another 4-5 years with it before I remove it. Paint should be brand new underneath. /crossfinger

TQUILL
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Had one on my G37 for over a year now, still looks great. The installer has a lifetime warranty on it... so even if it does get screwed up, I'll just get it replaced for free.

focalcivic
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
i think it all comes down to the product and installer, typically they look good if it is done right, but a good install is not cheap.

mellowbob
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Got mine installed along with tint totaling $500. Not cheap but well worth it.