PDA

View Full Version : Laser beam width program: Download

sethy
03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
I have made this little program that will tell how wide a laser is at X amount of feet. I made this because I wanted to know how worried I should be about the position of the blinder installed on my car.

Updated: Now uses windows EXE

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2654/laserbeamye8.jpg
Download: Download it here! (http://www.guysoflidar.com/files/laserwidth.exe)

let me know what you think.

Radar Roy
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
This is cool, thanks

compu44
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks sethy- Nice job on that!

spankyaf
03-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi, I'm going to be fighting a ticket I got on my motorcycle. I'm going to try and work on the uncetainty of hitting th bike corectly with cars around me.

I guess the spread of the beam is a matter of physics and doesnt depend on the mfg of the LIDAR gun ?

Any source I can refer to to document this?

Thx Alan

JTW
04-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Laser tickets are VERY hard to beat. I suggest you get a lawyer. If your ticket was for 10 or more over the limit that counts as two tickets when your insurance company looks at it.

A 2000 SS in Jersey
05-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Laser beam width....................hmmmm........now that brings up an interesting question that I cant find an answer for. But Then I am getting a bit burned out here. I am new to the forum and have tried to read every post..........YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand the LASER gun theory and the width of that beam being very narrow...........yada yada.

So how does the BlinderXXXX work?????

If it has to send out a jammer laser beam, and it has to cover a wide area, since we dont know where in front of us the laser gun is located.

How does it differ from a laser gun, what gives it the ability to produce this very wide beam and with enough power to disrupt the laser gun????And still be in the same light spectrum err frequency.

Lasers are inherently narrow beam devices??yes no maybe????...............errr Im lost now...................LOL

Any one??

Have fun and enjoy...............

JTW
05-17-2005, 09:33 PM
The Blinder, ZR3, Laser Pro 905, and Laser Mimic all use LED's to cover a wide area. The light transmitted isn't narrow like the one coming from laser gun.

Chris

A 2000 SS in Jersey
05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Interesting. Must be hundreds or even thousands of LEDs...............Cool.

Is there any tech info available on the Blinder? The web site did not have much.

Thanks for the info...............

synmoo
05-17-2005, 09:54 PM
No there are only a handful of LEDs in each blocker. They just aren't focused in a narrow beam like the lidar gun is.

A 2000 SS in Jersey
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Guess Im thinking lil leds....................never saw any that I would call big.

So any idea how wide the beams are??? Getting back to the original post theme.............beam width...:)

thanks and have fun....

crazyVOLVOrob
05-18-2005, 01:38 AM
I believe that the Blinder and Laser Mimic have 8 LEDs and have a protection area of 18" for each transpoder...I believe

A 2000 SS in Jersey
05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
tanx for the info..........

Ahh did you mean 18 feet per led??? Guess im having trouble picturing that. I am assuming each LEDs beam leaves and spreads out into a cone getting wider the further away it travels to cover as wide an area as possible.

So at 500 feet for instance each LEDs beam would be X amount wide and high too I guess???

have fun...................

crazyVOLVOrob
05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
tanx for the info..........

Ahh did you mean 18 feet per led??? Guess im having trouble picturing that. I am assuming each LEDs beam leaves and spreads out into a cone getting wider the further away it travels to cover as wide an area as possible.

So at 500 feet for instance each LEDs beam would be X amount wide and high too I guess???

have fun...................No i menat 18" area of the car that is covered by one jamming head with 8 LEDs that is why when placeing jamming head ideally you want to have to measure the distance to the edge of the car trying to include the headlights as well as front plate

brick
05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
The blinder doesn't do it's job by brute force, but rather by carefully timing its pulses. That's why you don't need hundreds of LEDs or a laser diode.

A 2000 SS in Jersey
05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
ahh okay. Gotcha......:)

I am new to the Laser Defense arena. So trying to learn it all. My car is black, so I got a head start there I guess. So my head and fog lights are areas of concern along with license plate. How about amber turn signal lense??

Thanks again.

brick
05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
ahh okay. Gotcha......:)

I am new to the Laser Defense arena. So trying to learn it all. My car is black, so I got a head start there I guess. So my head and fog lights are areas of concern along with license plate. How about amber turn signal lense??

Thanks again.

Anything reflective on the front of the car is a concern. I have my headlights, turn signals, license plate, and chrome grille all coated with Veil. Better safe than busted! I'd install a Blinder but I don't think that I go fast enough to really warrant it. Hopefully I won't be coming back to eat those words. :oops:

robert
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm with you, Brick.... but it seems like it takes just one encounter to change our minds, eh? :?

brick
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah. Only time will tell, I guess.

robert
05-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah. Only time will tell, I guess.

hopefully it doesn't tell us all that much.... :lol:

05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Sethy ,

very nice program.

Now can you figure a program that will tell us

how much money we can save using Veil ?

This site is the best of the best , all dedicated people .

LiQuiDz
05-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi 411radarlover, first time I notice you :? /or notice your are from Montreal ..

did you see lot of laser use downtown montreal?

SmaartAasSaabr
05-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Downtown Montreal nobody can speed because there is too much traffic and when there isn't too much traffic the potholes are so big they will eat your wheels when you drive at more than 1 km/h! :lol:

LiQuiDz
05-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Downtown Montreal nobody can speed because there is too much traffic and when there isn't too much traffic the potholes are so big they will eat your wheels when you drive at more than 1 km/h! :lol:

:lol: so true :lol:

05-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Liquid , Smart , and all stealthers ,

Sometimes I see a lot of laser in Montreal

other day not one at all .

Where I see them often :

Angrigon Park : the shooter hides behind the fence and the

givers are police students , such a good real life lessons !

Same gammick Metropolitain & Christophe Colomb.

Always gang bang.

One time in Verdun , there was this phat police lady

shooting in the 30 kms school zone , she was practically in my

windshield even that I was 25 kms because saw her from the corner.

Radar / detector , it is almost a love/hate affair , although most

people speeds wihtout detector and often without fears.

What I use : Sensoro in Q , V-1 ver 1.7 in US.

Next purchase : Veil and Brand X

salut comrade.

Viper Pilot
08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I can't do the quote thing but in addition to what has already been said...{The blinder doesn't do it's job by brute force, but rather by carefully timing its pulses. That's why you don't need hundreds of LEDs or a laser diode.}

Plus, it doesn't have to be as "bright" as the laser exiting the gun; it only has to be as bright as the laser reflection off the car. I don't know how much reduction in signal strength the spot will incur upon reflection...it would depend on the color, type of surface, angle of incidence, etc. But, it's definatley going to take a big hit in "strength". Plus, atmospherics from the gun to the car are going to reduce the intensity (or in lasers case, "lumens" I presume).

sethy
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
thread unstickied to die

Suf Daddy
06-25-2006, 10:03 AM
ADMINS!
Why is it unstickied. I was just looking for it for a traffic defense.

Its worth being a sticky or an icon on the web site.

-Suf Daddy

sethy
06-25-2006, 10:19 AM
sorry suf, re-strickied. I didnt think many ppl were actually using it out there. I thought it was just cluttering the jammer area with unnecesary stickies

Suf Daddy
06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
If its cluttering a specific thread, how about creating a "TOOLS" sction in the MAIN forum page?

USEFULl items?

Radar and LAser tools.

REsources section? <------ I like this one

-Suf Daddy

sethy
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
not a bad idea, ill run it by the admins

killer23d
07-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Link is dead.

sethy
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
fixed, thanks for the heads up

ReadyRadar
08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Link is dead, would you like a host?

sethy
08-18-2006, 01:03 AM
yes please, my server us having issues.

blueox
09-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Link is still dead

sethy
09-02-2006, 01:13 PM
can someone host this program?

blueox
09-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, I will do in my Rapidshare account.
I will PM you.

cyberblob
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Link is dead again. Could someone give me a location for this.

jimbonzzz
11-29-2006, 05:03 PM
I gave it a more permenant home:

http://www.guysoflidar.com/files/laserwidth.exe

sethy
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks jim, I cant keep a server up if my life depnded on it

cyberblob
11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Just an FYI Sethy.. You forgot to handle Null in Distance in Feet.

You get a Run time error '13" Type mismatch.

sethy
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Just an FYI Sethy.. You forgot to handle Null in Distance in Feet.

You get a Run time error '13" Type mismatch.

5 minutes to code- I didnt think to handle user input error.

If anyone doesnt know how to use it- you shouldnt download it :wink:

alias3r
12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
what exactly is veil, is it clear/can it be seen? if i sell my car can i have it removed and put on my new car? and how much does it cost roughly?

TSi+WRX
12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
VEIL is translucent - it does block a portion of the visible light coming out of your headlamps, and exactly how much you lose in terms of light output depends on how thick of a coat of VEIL you put on.

With a single coat, lighting loss has been reported by various hobbyists to be anywhere between 10 to 30% (observed, non-quantitative); and the perceived color of cast light is somewhat blue/purple in nature.

Of course, typically, a thicker/"double"-coat, well-applied, while reducing your lighting output, will also work considerably better to cut-down detection/PT distance.

That's the trade-off.

VEIL is semi-permanent; one application, applied properly and well-cured, should last upwards of 3 to 6 months.

There has been at least one independent hobbyist report of the VEIL dye unfortunately permanently staining the lens of his vehicle's headlamps. This may be a concern at resale.

All of this is addressed in-detail in the various nav. tabs on the VEIL product page here on Roy's site, and also on VEIL's own commercial website. You should really read into it in more detail. :)

marker227
01-20-2007, 02:39 PM
So you guys prefer the Blinder over the Zr3?

On RadarBusters.com the Blinder got 5 stars and the Zr3 got 4 1/2.

TSi+WRX
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
^ I think they each have their good and bad points.

Their performance against specific LIDAR guns is one thing to consider, but also of importance are issues of integration with other countermeasures, ease-of-install, and, of course, head placement/configuration considerations (with potential thought towards rear jamming).

Product service and maintenance issues should also be considered.

noorudeenshakur
01-31-2007, 04:17 AM
works well good info thanks

cell21633
05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
can someone explain how the width of the laser beam is computed?
thanks

cell21633
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
i hate to bump, but any takers?
they'll probably ask me to back up my sources if i present it..

sethy
06-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Well you really can bump this, sicne its a sticky :wink:

The beam is 3 feet wide at 1000 feet..

1000 / 3

that would mean that the beam grows one foot every 333.33 feet.

Orbital75
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Very nice Program Sethy.... :D

I'll save this one with Jim's Radar Distance Calculator.

carter840
12-18-2007, 01:56 AM
i hate to bump, but any takers?
they'll probably ask me to back up my sources if i present it..

I believe that the manufactures tell the beam divergence somewhere in their specifications. I think i have seen beam divergence on the LTI website or something.

y2kvette
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Nice chart sethy - Brings up a few questions

1. At what distance do most LEO's try to target cars? Would seem inside 500' or even 300' would be common?

2. I'm assuming 18" at 500' is diameter of a circle. If so, a jammer would have to be within 9" of the center of the laser aim to detect it. That's a pretty small distance on the front of some cars. And at 300' it's a little over a 5" area it covers from the center of the laser aim. So, say if a laser gun is aimed at the center of your license plate you would have to have a jammer within 9" (at 500')of the center of your plate to detect the laser. When you think of it this way that 18" spread at 500' seems to get even smaller. I would guess that since you are a moving target and if the laser gun is not completely steady that would account for some "grazing" of the laser beam before it gets a lock and giving the jammer a better chance to be hit by the laser beam. ?

3. Do laser jammers send out signals continuously, or do they only transmit when hit with a laser beam from the LEO's gun? I assume they only react when hit with the laser beam. The reason I ask this is it seems if jammers were on all the time (sending signals) they would be more likely to pick up a laser gun aimed in their direction.

jimbonzzz
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
1. At what distance do most LEO's try to target cars? Would seem inside 500' or even 300' would be common?

It depends. More commonly laser is used under 1/4 mile, but sometimes out to 2000 feet and even further. Short-range targeting (< 500') is common in some areas.

2. I'm assuming 18" at 500' is diameter of a circle. If so, a jammer would have to be within 9" of the center of the laser aim to detect it. That's a pretty small distance on the front of some cars. And at 300' it's a little over a 5" area it covers from the center of the laser aim. So, say if a laser gun is aimed at the center of your license plate you would have to have a jammer within 9" (at 500')of the center of your plate to detect the laser. When you think of it this way that 18" spread at 500' seems to get even smaller. I would guess that since you are a moving target and if the laser gun is not completely steady that would account for some "grazing" of the laser been before it gets a lock and giving the jammer a better chance to be hit by the laser beam. ?

Yes, unstable targeting helps out. But although the "18 inches at 500 feet " is a good rule of thumb for mounting your jammers, most can detect the laser outside of this "hot part" of the laser beam.

3. Do laser jammers send out signals continuously, or do they only transmit when hit with a laser beam from the LEO's gun? I assume they only react when hit with the laser beam. The reason I ask this is it seems if jammers were on all the time (sending signals) they would be more likely to pick up a laser gun aimed in their direction.

SOme jammers send out "parking signal" pulses all the time, but jammers only transmit a jamming signal when targeted by police laser. This is because the jamming pulses must be precisely timed with the incoming laser gun pulses in order to have a jamming effect against the gun.

I'm not sure why you think that a jammer that is constantly transmitting would receive better?

y2kvette
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure why you think that a jammer that is constantly transmitting would receive better?
I just noticed where the Blinder says it transmits constantly, then locks on to a laser pulse when it finds one. Don't know if just crossing beams would give you any signal? before they actually hit you. Maybe give you a little more advance notice?

ragamix
03-05-2008, 12:20 AM
nice program. any chance you could add metric units as well?

g-zona
03-05-2008, 04:34 AM

X2, but isn't that linear change? Just substitute it with mm/cm/m ?

ragamix
03-05-2008, 05:24 AM

X2, but isn't that linear change? Just substitute it with mm/cm/m ?
hmm now i don't really know.. i guess no as there are 12inches per foot but i'm just unable to think about it now after i just had lunch :lol:

Tiho
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
metric :laugh:

eire05
05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
What formula is being used to calulate the beam width??

ELVATO
05-28-2009, 08:26 AM
For feet, W=0.036x, where x is distance in feet, and W is the width of the laser beam, in inches. For the Ultralyte, and other guns with 2.5 millrad beams, I'd think it'd be W=0.03x.

For centimeters/meters, I'd think it would be W=0.3x, where W is width of laser beam in cm, and x is distance of beam in meters. For Ultralyte, it'd be W=0.25x.

eire05
05-28-2009, 08:46 AM
For feet, W=0.036x, where x is distance in feet, and W is the width of the laser beam, in inches. For the Ultralyte, and other guns with 2.5 millrad beams, I'd think it'd be W=0.03x.

For centimeters/meters, I'd think it would be W=0.3x, where W is width of laser beam in cm, and x is distance of beam in meters. For Ultralyte, it'd be W=0.25x.

Nice one!! :D

eire05
05-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Is the UL not 3 milliradians or are you thinking of the 100pps model??

ELVATO
05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Not entirely sure. I thought all ULs were 2.5, but it could just only be the 100 PPS variant.