PDA

View Full Version : I want to get my Tech licence can anyone offer some help?

StlouisX50
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I am wanting to get my Ham Radio License (Tech) is there anyone on here who can help with some good sources / suggestions without having to go purchase the books?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Stlouisx50

Laser-InterceptorUSA
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
When I took all my tests (back in the Code days) I believe all the question pools were available on line and that was 20 years ago. I know for the Extra, I did buy the book but that was because I needed to review, frequently, all the diagrams etc. I would try putting a post on www.qth.com and see if one who has already passed their Tech will send you their book.

Cliff - W4NJ

category4
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.eham.net/exams/

Laser-InterceptorUSA
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Excellent find cat4!

StlouisX50
09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I found this http://hamelmer.com/Assets/Docs/Tech/HamElmer%20Technician%20Study%20Guide%202.1.pdf (http://hamelmer.com/Assets/Docs/Tech/HamElmer%20Technician%20Study%20Guide%202.1.pdf) and seem to be doing pretty good at the followup quiz questions. Is this ok to use?

category4
09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Excellent find cat4!

I have it bookmarked, when I get a free minute or two I'm going to take the Tech Exam also.

Laser-InterceptorUSA
09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
You need all the questions in the pool. Like anything else with the answers provided, it's a question of repetition and memory.

protias
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.qrz.com/ham/

Motor On
09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I found this http://hamelmer.com/Assets/Docs/Tech/HamElmer%20Technician%20Study%20Guide%202.1.pdf (http://hamelmer.com/Assets/Docs/Tech/HamElmer%20Technician%20Study%20Guide%202.1.pdf) and seem to be doing pretty good at the followup quiz questions. Is this ok to use?
Nope, new question pool just started. Hence
Current Technician Guide valid till June 30th, 2010
So you'll need something more current.

Edit: Actually maybe I just reread that page and it depends where you click so make sure you're looking at the current info.

http://www.qrz.com/ham/
QRZ has the current question pools, if you click the right buttons.

Your time studying the old pool isn't wasted as the underlying concepts are the same, but I've seen quite a few that were not prepared for recent tests because they followed the wrong guide to study. I'd go out and get the current ARRL book (Amazon book store AES HRO, Universal Radio) for a solid base in theory and follow it up with the QRZ questions from the current pool until you're scoring a solid 90 on a practice test # you haven't seen yet. Also if you plan on doing a lot of driving you can play some of the W5YI books on CD. Taking the questions and correct answer and turning them into accurate statements proved to be one of the best methods for me. One of the absolute best things you can do as well is start listening to the local repeaters on your scanner you're going to start seeing it in action and that's gonna help make a lot of the information "click" better than any book can help you.

I'm currently a General pushing for my Extra so if you have any questions about some of the theory send me a PM and I'll try and help explain some stuff.

Arvetus
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
You can download the question pools direct from the ARRL website...
KB8QWN

kw79
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
You can download the question pools direct from the ARRL website...
KB8QWN

+1 that is a good resource and so is qrz.com

Good luck with the tests. Its a lot of fun.

Oyusan
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Is this the same license needed to legally operate Radar?

Laser-InterceptorUSA
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes.

10.0-10.5 GHz X-Band
24.0-24.25 GHz K-Band

Cliff - W4NJ

rocky2
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I got my tech license this year, I need to study and get my General license. The tech was not that hard to pass, but the general questions seem a quite a bit more complex.

Motor On
09-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I got my tech license this year, I need to study and get my General license. The tech was not that hard to pass, but the general questions seem a quite a bit more complex.
Wait until you go for your Extra! I'm hoping to have my GROL plus Radar endorsement by the end of the year.

Ka is not part of the ham bands, you'll need a Part 90 approval for that.

grasshopper
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
what are the benefits to having the tech lic??

Arvetus
09-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Wait until you go for your Extra!

I've been hung on that for several years. It's very technical and hard to find time amidst a life of work, family, [ahem, forum browsing] and keeping up on the yard and other house chores to study.
Having our VE session next month on the 16th and I was going to try and go for it, but I haven't had time to look at the book lately! UGH!!

I got out of the CB world in 1993 and the benefits to a ham license are practically endless. There's something for every flavor of operator from DX (long distance contacts), local VHF/UHF rag-chew stuff, technical stuff like learning how to bounce your signals off the moon and experimenting with what types of antennas work best, and then there's emergency communications - assisting your local government agencies with communications. You'd be amazed at how many public service agencies still can't talk to each other in the event of an interop event. Here in TX, hams have saved the day during Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Ike, etc and also during the Columbia Shuttle recovery. Plus, you can use up to 1500 watts PEP LEGALLY!

Just depends on what your fancy is and what you want to do with it. There's something for everyone and it's probably the best group of folks I've ever met. Met some lifetime friends during my ham "career."

I don't have cell coverage at my hunting lease, but I can use VHF to talk to my wife 60 miles away or get help if something ever happened. However I will say that 146.520 is not the place to get traffic/"bear trap" info. I will admit that I'm not a big CB fan anymore and don't use it everyday - only for interstate trips, but CB is still good for something, and that is its niche.

Oyusan
09-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes.

10.0-10.5 GHz X-Band
24.0-24.25 GHz K-Band

Cliff - W4NJ

Ty Cliff.

What would I need for Part 90 approval?

Arvetus
09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Ty Cliff.

30GHz is not in the ham bands, which is governed by part 97, so your device would need part 90 approval to be operated in that frequency range.

From an ARRL publication:

All licensees except Novices are authorized all modes on the following frequencies:
2300-2310 MHz
2390-2450 MHz
3300-3500 MHz
5650-5925 MHz
10.0-10.5 GHz
24.0-24.25 GHz
47.0-47.2 GHz
76.0-81.0 GHz
122.25-123.0 GHz
134-141 GHz
241-250 GHz
All above 275 GHz
Your device would have to be registered with the FCC... which means lots of red tape with the FCC if your device was "home brew" equipment. Commercial equipment is already type-certified with in the part 90 code.

Part 90 certifies the DEVICE, whereas if you are a ham operating under part 97, your device doesn't necessarily have to be type-certified by the FCC, as long as you, the operator, are operating your device within the frequency range assigned to you defined in the class of license you hold...

As an example, Citizens Band (26.965MHz - 27.405MHz) is part 90 "type certified," which means you don't have to have a license to operate, but your device must be registered with the FCC. However, it is illegal to operate a modified ham device in the CB band because ham devices are authorized to transmit in ham-bands only, not outside of them.

There's a lot of granular detail I skipped over, but for simplicity's sake, that's pretty much the jist of it

Motor On
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes.

10.0-10.5 GHz X-Band
24.0-24.25 GHz K-Band

Cliff - W4NJ

Ty Cliff.

Part 90, on the HAM bands generally refers to the standards the device is manufactured to, Part 90 rules also govern business and public safety radio use. Just like Part 97 covers what HAMs are allowed to do and that the radios must meet good engineering and amateur practice, ours don't need to be sent in to get FCC approval so long as they stay on the HAM bands, and within our allowed power limits for those bands. The following is pretty much the step by step on filling out the application for a business radio license, you can contact your local FCC field office for more information.

Part 90 Radar Licensing instructions Log onto http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls (http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls) License Manager using FRN & Password. (You will need to create an FRN and password if you do not have one.)
On the left hand side choose apply for a new license.
Click down arrow and select radio service code (RS). Click Continue.
APPLICATION INFO: Complete Application Information. Click Next page at Bottom right of page.
APPLICANT: Choose the Licensee Type at the top right hand side of the page. Then complete the rest of the Applicant Info. and Contact Info. (If Applicable). Click Next page at Bottom right of page.
OWNERSHIP/QUALIFICATION: Complete Ownership/Qualification questions. If any questions are answered as "Yes" then an attachment is required explaining why it is yes. Click Next page at Bottom right of page.
GENERAL CERTIFICATION STATEMENT: Type in name of party authorized to sign. Click Next page at Bottom right of page.
CONTROL POINT: Click the "Add" button on the left hand side of page to enter Control Point information. Click Next page at Bottom right of page. Choose "Yes" on the pop-up screen to save information.
ADMINISTRATIVE: Complete the white boxes on the Administrative page. Click Next page at Bottom right of page. Choose "Yes" on the pop-up screen to save information.
LOCATION: Click the "Add" button on the right hand side of page to enter Location. Once they choose the location type, it will open other boxes that need to be completed. Once the required information is added, click the "save" button on right hand side of the page. Continue choosing the "Add" button until all locations are added. Click Next page at Bottom right of page. Choose "Yes" on the pop-up screen to save information.
ANTENNA: Click on location 1 under "Select Location" to highlight it. Then click the "Add" button on the right hand side of page to enter Antenna information. Complete Antenna information at the bottom. (ERP Radiated power = Less than .001 watt/square cm)
Output Watts = 0.013 watts) Click the "Save" button on the top right hand side of the page. Click Next page at Bottom right of page. Choose "Yes" on the pop-up screen to save information.
FREQUENCY: Click on location 1 under "Select Location" to highlight it. Then click on antenna 1 under "Select Antenna" to highlight it. Then click the "Add frequency" button on the right hand side of the page. Complete the frequency information. (10.525 GHz for X band, 24.150 GHz for K band, 33.8 GHz - 35.5 GHz for Ka band) Click the "Save Frequency" button at the top right hand side of the page. Repeat this process to add all frequency information for each location and antenna.
EMISSION: Click on location 1 under "Select Location" to highlight it. Then click on antenna 1 under "Select Antenna" to highlight it. Then click frequency 1 under "Select Frequency" to highlight it. Click the "Add Emission" button at the bottom right hand side of page. Enter emission information (n0n) and click the "Save Emission" button. Repeat this process to add emission information for all frequencies.
Click the "Check Errors" button at the bottom right of the page. Click the "Return Button" to correct any errors that it may show.
Click the "Submit button at the bottom right hand side of the page. Print confirmation page or jot down File number.
If any application fees are due, ULS will calculate those fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing. Click "Continue For Payment Options" button to make selection of "Pay By Credit Card" or "View Form 159". FCC highly recommends online electronic payment, by credit card, using our secure website. If you are paying manually using FCC Form 159 (Remittance Advice), send the application package to: Federal Communications Commission, P.O. Box 979097, St. Louis, MO 63197-9000. Hand or courier delivery only to: U.S. Bank, Attn: FCC Government Lockbox #979097, SL-MO-C2-GL, 1005 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101.

Should you have any further questions, or need additional information, please submit a request through http://esupport.fcc.gov/index.htm (http://esupport.fcc.gov/index.htm) or call the ULS Customer Support Hotline at (877) 480-3201, selecting option 2 after the main menu recording.

rocky2
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Reason I got mine was when I lived in Indiana you had to have a HAM license to have a scanner in your car legally.

Arvetus
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
it is this way in a lot of states. Or you can TRY to get a permit from the State Police, who often question you as to why you need one. In fact, in my glovebox with my insurance papers, I always carry a copy of the law that states that as an FCC licensed amateur operator, I am legally able to have a device that can monitor police frequencies. Many a ham has had even their ham gear confiscated because some trooper with a big head decided to make up their own laws. Granted, they got it back after taking the department to court, but showing a copy of the law complete with statue numbers and everything is a good thing!

protias
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
There are only a few states that require a HAM license to use scanners in a car.

Arvetus
09-29-2010, 06:03 AM
you're right, I thought there were more, but there's only a few. I just went and looked. Looks like some legislation has changed in some states too.
I lived in MI for most of my life and always carried the copy of MI law that stated I could carry one. Keep in mind that most VHF/UHF ham gear is capable of listening/scanning on p.s. frequencies. Might not hurt if you live in a state that it is illegal to carry a copy of the law that says you can if you are an FCC Amateur Radio License holder.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html