PDA

View Full Version : Xtr 609/695

firecrew1
10-03-2010, 07:17 AM
I love this radar detector. It gives very early warning. It's only a few months old and the speaker has blown however. It has a place for an external jack and I picked up the jacks from Radio Shack but haven't found a small speaker.

yellowtibby
10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
where and when did you buy the RD? If you still have the store receipt you might be under warranty. There is also a whistler rep on here "michael B" who could help you out.

MOPARado
10-03-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd also suggest following yellowtibby's advice and send a PM to Michael B

If you still want to go ahead and hook up an external speaker be aware of the following:
-If you use a single speaker. The jack MUST be a stereo jack. The external speaker option is most likely designed to support stereo headphones.
(If you plug a mono jack into the Detector, it'll short out and blow the RDers audio amplifier.)

-If you use a single speaker, use a 16 ohm speaker for maximum power transfer, fidelity and volume.

-If you use a single speaker, connect its terminals to the tip of the jack and the long shaft of the jack.

All this can be found at this thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/whistler/58925-whistler-speakers.html

firecrew1
10-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I guess I have owned it a bit longer than I thought. I bought it on Ebay from T Desert Graphics for $100.00 on 9-29-09 and it was shipped about a month later from Radio Shack so about a year. The speaker plug I bought from Radio Shack is at work so I will look at it tomorrow to see if it's Mono or Stereo. I paid by check and all I would have is the manual, canceled check and Ebay transaction info. Michael B talks about all the testing they do on the speakers but it seems they still have too many problems. I think it's the sun beating them up. They should try mounting them on the bottom. I'll come up with some way of fixing this. I can't stand the awlful sounds coming from it now.

MOPARado
10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
If i were you, i'd still contact Michael B. Even if there's no valid warranty, worst case, he might be able to provide you with a replacement speaker.

I agree with the speaker issue. As good as these detectors are for detecting radar, the audio is anemic IMO and many here have had speaker failures.
Having said that, so far after over a year's worth of mileage on both my Whistlers, the speakers are holding up so far. Just wish the audio alerts could be a little louder.

firecrew1
10-04-2010, 07:23 AM
I see the speaker plug I bought from Radio Shack is Mono. It is 3/32" and I had to buy 2 for 3.29. I emailed Michael B. a month ago and never received a response. I wasn't a member of this board at the time. Maybe he didn't receive my email so I will try again.

yellowtibby
10-04-2010, 12:26 PM
contact Michael B via "private message" on this forum. He responds very quickly.