PDA

View Full Version : Laser Jammer Install Fails?

atticuss187
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey guys. So I was just surfing the web and I came across a website. They "recommended" to you to have your jammers installed. I came across the company and here are a few of the install pictures I found quite intriguing , to say the least.

Would this even come close to jamming the head lights? I can see CM being jammed but not the taillights.
http://i52.tinypic.com/10d84so.jpg

This is a better install, but I definitely see PT on the headlights.
http://i51.tinypic.com/rc4k5h.jpg

I thought below the grill was an ultimate fail? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
http://i53.tinypic.com/rh0niu.jpg

Now since I joined back in September I have learned A LOT from you guys and it's more than appreciated. But after reading and learning I don't see these installs being very effective at all. The reason I came across this is because I will be purchasing LI's very soon from radarbusters and I need/want someone from my area to help me install them. My only dilemma is that I'm not that great with automobile electronics, therefore would need someone to assist me with electronically hooking up my LI's. From educating myself on here, and with the help of you guys I know once I get my jammers I'll get some solid advice on placement and ultimately mount them in the suggested areas. (I'll post a picture of my car, get advice from you dudes...etc) My problem is, if I can't find a friend who is good with automobile electronics, I feel like the custom car shops who sell jammers, radar detectors...etc will end up installing my jammers like the pictures above. The sad thing is, I know more about jammers and RD's than they do. I've gone in these shops for haha's to look around and they've tried to convince me that ZR4's were the best jammers on the market and it'd ONLY be $2,500 for the jammers and the install. My jaw dropped and I was so relieved I joined this forum, otherwise I wouldn't have known any better (like the majority of there customers). Anyhow, the dilemma I face is the lack of knowledge of car electronics, and the dilemma these so called "custom car shops" is the lack of there equipment and retarded pricing. I fear that if I go to one of these shops, they will ignore what I say about placement, do there own thing, and I'll have a ****ty install like the pictures above. Any advice will help.

Thanks guys.

v1user
10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
OP, It wouldn't be a bad idea to remove that link you posted. Yes, you are on the right track at spotting fail. The owner of that site is a known mentally incapable former member of this site. Look up Steagall and you'll see he has been banned for good. He's a nut job selling Blinder. I also believe he goes by Georgia Boy on youtube.

edit: Darn GreenRadar, You are fast!

GreenRadar
10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
atticus good job on spotting the fail install, just remember to be careful with the links you post, if you have questions to if it would be okay to post a certain link shoot a PM of it to me and I will let you know if it is okay or not. Other wise it looks like you really are getting the hang of things here, and you have been doing your research real well.
As for an installer, best thing is to just as around on the forum if anyone knows of anyone in your area. Cliff is usually really good with recommending a good installer. I have been working on a list of installers across the country but it has been hard to get a real good list going, but I'll take a look around and see if I can find anyone in your area (Wilbraham, MA) who may be good at an install.

GreenRadar
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM

If I had a nickle for everytime a girl said that to me, I would be horribly in debt lol

Kwaz
10-27-2010, 07:19 PM

If I had a nickle for everytime a girl said that to me, I would be horribly in debt lol

+1

DrCoke
10-27-2010, 07:56 PM

devinwilson
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
If i would have gone with the 'shops' opinion of product and placement (a couple months ago) i would have set myself up for a terrible fail...from everything ive read on the past few weeks in this forum. I finally joined because the info was right on and i couldnt believe what i didnt know.
A year after owning a RD and i learned more about it and how to use it in the last week.

Yeah, find a good install or find a good tutorial and take your time.
i know im saving the cash and doing it myself, but then again i also have some installation smarts and like to figure things out.

Hunter
10-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Almost all shop install jammers are a fail regardless if they are installing LI, Blinder, or ZR4. They do a great job with wire routing and hiding things so if you tell them where to place the heads and how you want them place, that would be ideal.
Shops want to pleased there customers by useing a stealth install because that is what people want. What people want isn't what is best for the jammer's performance.

x2

man114
10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Depending on how the BMW was shot it may or may not work. Center mass or a grill shot should be ok, that grill isn't that big. I'd be worried about the headlights. Land Rover has the chrome and shiny headlights. I'd probably do 4 heads up front on that thing. Otherwise you'll probably get punch through. As it stands it might work on center mass but thats not the greatest mounting location. I'd have one it the upper grill close to the middle of the headlights which still may or may not work 100%. The truck? Depends on if they use it for hauling, if not I'd have mounted on either side of the bumper above the plate since I'm going to assume the rear plate is going to be there. If it is going to be used for hauling there really isn't many good places to install on there.

mrkookm
10-28-2010, 09:28 AM
It doesn't matter where on the vehicle is being shot. They all FAILD due to the choice of jammers.

When doing an install you want to protect the entire front of the car that'll get hit by Lidar, not a section. What sense does that make if your protecting a section..lol! It still will be a ticket eventually, it's just a matter of time. The bad part is the longer it takes for the failed install user to get a reality check, the more confidence he'll have on the road driving recklessly not knowing his jammers & install limitations. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/mrkookm/facepalm.gif Then guess what! A Leo in the right place, with the right timing & using the right gun= !PWNT!

Sadly it happens quite frequently and guess what's even funnier! They start blaming everything except their install and/or crappy sensors...lol!

When the time is right install the sensors well and get it tested by a competent shooter using real world tactics. You're not getting tested for bragging rights. You need to know how well the setup performs, so the testing should be difficult scenarios! This when ownage will occur in the RW!

OP,

You did the right thing by doing your research and you chose the right jammer for protection. LI is the way to go when it comes to laser protection, but you also need to exploit its capabilities by installing it right.

oahuyahoo
10-29-2010, 04:23 AM
You have to install the heads yourself per the manufacturer's recommendation, DO NOT leave this up to an radio/car sound system installer. If you don't know anything about electrical, don't worry about it, a shop can do that for you in a matter of minutes. I have mine installed to the ignition that way I never forget it. Want a ticket? Let someone else install your heads and you are guaranteed one.

Kwaz
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
You have to install the heads yourself per the manufacturer's recommendation, DO NOT leave this up to an radio/car sound system installer. If you don't know anything about electrical, don't worry about it, a shop can do that for you in a matter of minutes. I have mine installed to the ignition that way I never forget it. Want a ticket? Let someone else install your heads and you are guaranteed one.

Agreed, there is no good reason not to install your own system. There is so much information on the web about techniques and various DIY posts. Not to mention the fact that, if you were to post pictures of your ride here and "ask" for advice, you would end up with a great installation. You just have to sift through the well intentioned from the experienced. As for the electrical side, 30 min of reading on the web will teach you what you need to know how DC electronics work and what you need to do to get system hardwired in.

Riptide
10-29-2010, 10:43 AM
It doesn't matter where on the vehicle is being shot. They all FAILD due to the choice of jammers.

When doing an install you want to protect the entire front of the car that'll get hit by Lidar, not a section. What sense does that make if your protecting a section..lol! It still will be a ticket eventually, it's just a matter of time. The bad part is the longer it takes for the failed install user to get a reality check, the more confidence he'll have on the road driving recklessly not knowing his jammers & install limitations. http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/mrkookm/facepalm.gif Then guess what! A Leo in the right place, with the right timing & using the right gun= !PWNT!

Sadly it happens quite frequently and guess what's even funnier! They start blaming everything except their install and/or crappy sensors...lol!

When the time is right install the sensors well and get it tested by a competent shooter using real world tactics. You're not getting tested for bragging rights. You need to know how well the setup performs, so the testing should be difficult scenarios! This when ownage will occur in the RW!

OP,

You did the right thing by doing your research and you chose the right jammer for protection. LI is the way to go when it comes to laser protection, but you also need to exploit its capabilities by installing it right.

what he said

atticuss187
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Agreed, there is no good reason not to install your own system. There is so much information on the web about techniques and various DIY posts. Not to mention the fact that, if you were to post pictures of your ride here and "ask" for advice, you would end up with a great installation. You just have to sift through the well intentioned from the experienced. As for the electrical side, 30 min of reading on the web will teach you what you need to know how DC electronics work and what you need to do to get system hardwired in.

I understand electronics very well. I'm a 20 year old college student majoring in Computer Engineering and have taken multiple electronics courses. It's that I don't understand the electronics of the car, it's the hands on stuff that I'm not good with and I've found that out through experience. I've taken electronics apart in the past accidentally and ripped wires by accident multiple times or put the device back together improperly. Thus, I don't trust myself with the technical/mechanical side of things which is why I'm going to have someone else help me with the installation. I try to be careful with wires but I always somehow manage to break something while handling electronics. This is exactly why I don't want to end up buying a jammer and messing up the technical/mechanical side of the installation. I'm much better with theory and concepts. Anyhow, I have found an old friend who works with automobiles electronics and were going to end up doing it as soon as I get my jammer. Thanks for the advice guys!

oahuyahoo
10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Forgot one last thing, TEST YOUR SETUP. Don't take it as gospel your system is going to work properly, you need to have it tested. I've already recouped the 2g's in gun cost from saves by my setups. If you don't want to cut with the cash sufdaddy here on the forum rents guns.