PDA

View Full Version : BMW looking for jammer (LI) and mounting

Coolieman1220
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker on this forum filled with lots of great info. Currently I have a 2010 (e90) BMW 335d. Great car and very fast without knowing. the diesel engine is very quiet, very powerful. At 80 mph its revving at 2k, you just hear a humming noise. I currently have a V1 for Radar and it works great, too bad in my area they use a lot of laser. I live in New York City and those NYPD Highway Patrol are beasts with laser. They park up perpendicular to the road and just shoot pull over shoot pull over all day. Its so easy for them, no challenge at all. I was recently hit with a 70 in a 50. My V1 went off and i saw him slammed on the brakes, pulled over right away. I figured i was going faster than 70 though so maybe the V1 may have helped, couldn't get a higher lock? who knows. Maybe the cop was nice and wrote me for that?

I am looking to purchase laser jammers. I dont think I want the Blinders, i'm pretty certain I want Laser Interceptors. They are on sale at a reasonable price so I am seriously considering it. The LI Dual is $500 and the LI DUAL HP is $1000. Big difference. I dont think i need rear jammers just yet. My problem is mounting. On a BMW I've seen many different mounting:

Behind the kidney grille - Does this work? I highly doubt it and won't try
Dremel Kidney grille - I do not want to take a dremel to my grille, plus i dont think it would look good.
Vertical in grille - This works but how effective for regular duals since they are meant to be horizontally mounted. Will it work? I know this would work well for the HP's because they are both vertical and horizontal mount but if i can save $500 i will.
Under headlight or lower grille - This area is good for horizontal but it is too low IMO, would this work?

Basically where to mount and which jammer to get? Can i get away w/ regular LI Duals vertically mounted in my kidney grille? This is what i want to do, will it work?

In my area the laser guns used arn't the latest and greatest...

I see there's lots of knowledge in this forum and i am looking to gain a lot! Thank you in advance for your responses.

upstatedoc
12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
pm radarrob

Stealth Stalker
12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Either LI Quad on the front (combination of vertical in kidneys and horizontal in lower grille), or LI HP Dual in kidney grilles. Nothing else is a sure thing on a BMW. Dremelling the grille for a horizontal LI Dual places all protection too central, and leaves your periphery naked.

And yes, you absolutely do need rear protection. Otherwise, you're just buying a false sense of security.

Doesn't matter if they use the latest and greatest or not. Older guns are often the most difficult to deal with. Guns aren't really getting better, just lighter and cheaper.

BMW-NJ
12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
BMW are rough. RadarRob can install it for you and help you but theres no great easy place on a BMW. You need to sacrifice looks and some drilling for performance. The more your willing to compromise the better your setup can be. Im thinking about moving my heads to right under the headlights and just drilling. In the end its a waste of money if not in a good location. Also with your V1 you can have a great setup in the inside of the car. Im getting my interior setup by Luxury Details in Framingham, MA. Yes it is quite a drive but look at this picture and tell me its not worth it.

BMW-NJ
12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
If your interested in the interior stealth install contact Mike at (508) 620-7321. It is about $300 just for just that interior work but well worth it in my opinion. Mine is going in next Thursday for this install.

BMW-NJ
12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
For best location take a look at this picture and mount at the GREEN spots. This is from another thread on here but very useful.

farfromovin
12-22-2010, 10:45 PM
So jealous of the 335D. IIRC, it has something like 80 percent of it's peak torque available from just off idle to redline. Amazing engine! I wish more manufacturers would offer diesels in passenger cars besides Mercedes, BMW, and VW/Audi. LI is definitely what you want in your ride. Good luck with the challenging install.

chris98891
12-23-2010, 12:22 AM
man, the bad thing about the new e9x is the lack of extra piece under the headlights....its all bumper.
http://i53.tinypic.com/rqvic3.jpg
correct?

category4
12-23-2010, 06:34 AM
HP's mounted vertical in the kidney grille is you best bet of you do not want to do a lot of cutting.

Solidjake
12-23-2010, 09:17 AM
man, the bad thing about the new e9x is the lack of extra piece under the headlights....its all bumper.

I'm getting an E60 next :) Easier to mount

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7862/mike5.jpg

BMW-NJ
12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/rqvic3.jpg
correct?

You should pop out that square piece right under the headlights and run wire through that and drill two small holes making the heads perfectly level. I plan to move mine to that location. Just alittle worried about the center of the car but atleast the headlights will be protected as close to perfect as you can get.

Stealth Stalker
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
You should pop out that square piece right under the headlights and run wire through that and drill two small holes making the heads perfectly level. I plan to move mine to that location. Just alittle worried about the center of the car but atleast the headlights will be protected as close to perfect as you can get.
Definitely! I would expect that those little squares are cheaper to replace than a bumper or grille. And the placement is perfect!

chris98891
12-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Definitely! I would expect that those little squares are cheaper to replace than a bumper or grille. And the placement is perfect!

well if i had to guess, those are there for a reason, not just excess trim. i'm thinking, it if its the cold weather package, its heated headlight washers. those things pop up and spray heated washer fluid to clear off ice and mud/dust.

i'm in the same boat, thats why i can't drill into the piece under my headlights

Stealth Stalker
12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Ah! I thought those were filler on the cars that did NOT have the washer option.

Batman
12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Ah! I thought those were filler on the cars that did NOT have the washer option.

No that is the washer. It hides there when not in use. The cars that don't have washers don't have the filler option.

I think the HP sensors mounted vertically in the kidneys is the way to go on that car. Then you can use the same CPU and put regular sensors on the back. That's what I am going to do when I get my F10 550i in August.

noodles122
12-23-2010, 11:17 PM
You can disable the headlight washers. Bit of coding but it's possible. Just cable and person to do it for u is all you need.

BMW-NJ
12-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah I Would gladly sacrifice headlight washers for the Great placement of the laser interceptors. I will be at the BMw shop Thursday and Will attempt to have them move the LI there. Hopefully they are willing to do it. I am also going to test the system with RadarRob after when he is available and see how it performs.

WhistlerUser
12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Be sure to post pics. I know those plugs pop right out on the e92.

xyd
12-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Yeah I Would gladly sacrifice headlight washers for the Great placement of the laser interceptors. I will be at the BMw shop Thursday and Will attempt to have them move the LI there. Hopefully they are willing to do it. I am also going to test the system with RadarRob after when he is available and see how it performs.

Rofl, please video record the whole ordeal, I'm interested to see what the SA has to say.

BMW-NJ
12-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I will definitely get pictures. Im not sure if I will be able to get a video of them working on it. I assume by SA you mean Service Advisor. I took the car to BMW of Flemington and they have never even hardwired a radar detector and were clueless. Im driving all the way to Luxury Details in Massachusetts as they are very familiar with radar detectors, laser jammers etc and have done some great work. I have seen pictures from customers on BMW forums and was very impressed. If it goes well and performs well this could be a great spot for BMW owners to mount their laser jammers.

carter840
12-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Either LI Quad on the front (combination of vertical in kidneys and horizontal in lower grille), or LI HP Dual in kidney grilles. Nothing else is a sure thing on a BMW. Dremelling the grille for a horizontal LI Dual places all protection too central, and leaves your periphery naked.

And yes, you absolutely do need rear protection. Otherwise, you're just buying a false sense of security.

Doesn't matter if they use the latest and greatest or not. Older guns are often the most difficult to deal with. Guns aren't really getting better, just lighter and cheaper.

I have to disagree with your opinion on rear Jammers. Obviously you are better protected with them, but at least in my experiences there is a far greater chance that you will take his from the front. I know that if I am really cruising I take care to look or have a passenger look up on ramps or other spots a leo could shoot you from behind. I still have not taken a laser hit to the read and have taken a few to the front, for this reason I say go for the ones up front only if money is tight and just be smart about what you're driving past.

As for what you need for protection I would say an LI dual mounted above the bumper. I will look ugly but it should give you the protection you need and not be very noticeable. These days there are so any gadgets manufacturers place on the front of the car so I see nothing wrong with you added a few of your own. I don't think you need more than that for protection. Look at BMW-NJ's post. I think his recommended mounting location is just about right.