PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about 695SE

SRT8
05-18-2011, 07:46 AM
What have others users found is the backlight setting that allows you to actually see the display during the day? No matter what color I've tried, I still find myself squinting at the display for about 5 seconds before I can read it. I only use KA and Laser, and look at a KA alert to see if there's an ID or not.
Also, what are the chances of a 34.7 display that isn't LEO radar source? Does this specific frequency alert from other sources? Had a couple of lengthy ramp ups on 34.7 with no visible source. I didn't think picking up something like a Cobra would alert on this freq.
Otherwise, fairly happy with this unit. Not a ton of falsing, lots of warning to c/o KA. Lots of warning on 34.7 photo trucks in our area, too (photo shoots at your ass end here). Only time there was not was in 4 lanes of freeway traffic, bumper to bumper in rush hour. I was in the far left, photo was in the right shoulder, didn't alert until I passed it. Anyone's guess how the photo operator would get a tracking history that would stand up in court under those conditions.

Michael B
05-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Did you select the display backlight setting to BRT-BRT?

TRun
05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Change the detector to a 690SE or 78SE

dpatel01
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Also, what are the chances of a 34.7 display that isn't LEO radar source? Does this specific frequency alert from other sources? Had a couple of lengthy ramp ups on 34.7 with no visible source. I didn't think picking up something like a Cobra would alert on this freq.
Ka drones in construction area? I've seen them mounted to message trailers.

MDR
05-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I got rid of my 695SE due to the display. You could put it up high to help. Also make sure you have it on Brt-Brt, like MB said. I got the 690SE cause of compass, volt meter, and red display. 78SE would also be better too. I like their screens better. It's hot on 34.7 Ka. I find myself always wondering where the Leo is at. I get that good of range. Falses usually read no ID, not always though. I had a few legit sources with no ID. Any Ka alert be cautious until source is identified. I don't think photo needs a tracking history due to the picture? :cool:

SRT8
05-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Yes, I have the display on BRT-BRT, so I guess that's all I can do. I had a Sirius radio once with blue display and couldn't read it either, so I guess red would be best. I just bought this though, so I'm not going to get rid of it, but would definitely not buy this model again just because of the display.
I know that photo here requires a tracking history just like conventional traffic enforcement does. There would be probably 15-20 cars on the photo field of view, so not sure how the operator would tell which one was at what speed. The operator would look at the pic and say "must have been that guy" and it would be up the the accused to go to court and say it was the guy next to him. And they wonder why it's looked at like a cash cow.

MDR
05-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Dark Green gives the best visibility I think. At night it's great but during sunny days forget about it. Also LCDs don't behave as good in hot or cold weather. You can put it up high but you won't see your periscopes. I could of kept mine and tried to live with it but I like LEDs better. :cool:

pboy91
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I rode around with the 695SE for a few days before it went in my wife's car but as far as the display in the daytime, it is almost useless. I drive with sunglasses on bright days and no matter what color or setting (off, dim, bright) I select, I can not see the display without squinting for a few seconds. It is only on overcast days and nights that the colors and display are really useful. (Guess it is a good thing for voice alerts)

Gokhos
05-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I love my XTR-695SE. I have mine mounted over the rearview mirror, normally set on dim/brt and have no problem seeing it. Sometimes with sunglasses on the dim is a bit hard to see but no problem when on bright. When I had it mounted lower, depending on the amount of light it could be hard to see, but since mounting it up high, no problems at all. I also have mine set to display a different color for each kind of alert.

I think I lot of the problem with seeing the display is based on the settings of the device, other lighting conditions, and where it is mounted in the vehicle and perhaps the type of vehicle.

Just my opinion.

What have others users found is the backlight setting that allows you to actually see the display during the day? No matter what color I've tried, I still find myself squinting at the display for about 5 seconds before I can read it. I only use KA and Laser, and look at a KA alert to see if there's an ID or not.
Otherwise, fairly happy with this unit. Not a ton of falsing, lots of warning to c/o KA. Lots of warning on 34.7 photo trucks in our area, too (photo shoots at your ass end here). Only time there was not was in 4 lanes of freeway traffic, bumper to bumper in rush hour. I was in the far left, photo was in the right shoulder, didn't alert until I passed it. Anyone's guess how the photo operator would get a tracking history that would stand up in court under those conditions.