PDA

View Full Version : PA - Speed Timing Device Calibration Bill Moving Forward

krypton2
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I debated posting this in the news stories board but it isn't really a news story, just something I was informed of that I felt this community might be interested in.

A few months ago, a bill was proposed to modify the time period required for police departments to calibrate their speed timing devices. Right now, it's every 60 days...so in order for the device to be used for official speed enforcement, it must have been calibrated in the past 60 days. This new bill proposes a 6 month calibration period.

The bill was pushed to the Transportation Committee who passed it through last week. In the near future it will be up for reviewing, and voting, in the state senate.

Here's a link to the bill for those interested - SB1179 - The Pennsylvania General Assembly (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2011&sind=0&body=S&type=B&BN=1179)

mikered30
10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I thought the state police currently have a 6 month cal period for radar and ENRADD, Vascar timing, and speedometers was 60 days? I guess the advantage will be saving money on the cal certification. Do you know if this is in line with what other states have?

krypton2
10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I thought the state police currently have a 6 month cal period for radar and ENRADD, Vascar timing, and speedometers was 60 days? I guess the advantage will be saving money on the cal certification. Do you know if this is in line with what other states have?

Here's the current calibration requirements:

Radar - 1 year
ENRADD - 1 year
Speedometer - 1 year
VASCAR, Robic, AcuTrak, V-Spec - 60 days
Regular stopwatches - 60 days

mikered30
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks