PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me- how police laser can work with a car facing away from traffic?

jws3
09-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Explain to me- how police laser can work with a car facing away from traffic?

I've recently come across a few traps where the sneaky bastards are in a car facing away from traffic and no visible laser gun. There is a cop in the car, obviously with a laser gun, but how can he get a reading unless he is facing traffic? Do they hold it out the window pointing backwards? Damned if I could figure it out.

Any thoughts?

poolmon
09-24-2014, 09:53 AM
They can either shoot you as you approach them using their side mirror to reflect the signal backwards, or shoot you from behind after you pass them.

PointerCone
09-24-2014, 04:54 PM
They can either shoot you as you approach them using their side mirror to reflect the signal backwards, or shoot you from behind after you pass them.

If you read the Lidar Manuals, this is NOT an approved or authorized use of the gun ..................................Great fodder for cross-exam

poolmon
09-25-2014, 07:00 AM

If you read the Lidar Manuals, this is NOT an approved or authorized use of the gun ..................................Great fodder for cross-exam

True, but they sometimes do it anyway, like they do with POP.

Hessen
11-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Of course a Cop would never lie under oath. :rolleyes:

WDG
11-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Maybe a good reason to use a dashcam?

upstatedoc
11-23-2014, 11:30 AM
They can either shoot you as you approach them using their side mirror to reflect the signal backwards,

I've tried this with my Truspeed several times and have never gotten a reading. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :confused:

Radar Roy
12-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Spoke with a person late last night that had this happen to him, the officer used his mirror to reflect the beam back into the gun. He needed some help for his trial coming up in mid-January.

This is not an approved practice by any laser gun manufacture or not the international police chiefs association

Veil Guy
12-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Spoke with a person late last night that had this happen to him, the officer used his mirror to reflect the beam back into the gun. He needed some help for his trial coming up in mid-January.

This is not an approved practice by any laser gun manufacture or not the international police chiefs association

I remember at SML 10 years ago that some LEOs were talking about "cowboys" of Texas DPS doing things like this. I thought it was funny at the time, but not if LEOs are issuing tickets using such practices!

VG

RedRocket
12-12-2014, 09:54 AM
They can either shoot you as you approach them using their side mirror to reflect the signal backwards,

I've tried this with my Truspeed several times and have never gotten a reading. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :confused:As an experienced Shooter I can verify this tactic is possible from either side mirror & also the RVM.

upstatedoc
12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm going to try again. :D. Did I meet you in buffalo?

RedRocket
12-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm going to try again. :D. Did I meet you in buffalo?Is it me you are asking?When was the 1st try?
If so,I'm not sure - I do go to Bflo to & wonder when this would have taken place?

Qui-Gon
12-13-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm going to try again. :D. Did I meet you in buffalo?Is it me you are asking?When was the 1st try?
If so,I'm not sure - I do go to Bflo to & wonder when this would have taken place?

Could've been the last BIG Can/Am meet. Can't say for sure though.

I can confirm the NYSP have used this tactic in my area...usually a marked Dodge Charger doing the targeting.

upstatedoc
12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Tried this again yesterday and got an error code. Maybe it's just the Truspeed.

PointerCone
12-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Pull the manual for the gun he got shot with and reference that as well as his training (LEO) in use of the lidar gun. Taking it one step further, all lidar (as well as radar) is "supposed" to be tested before shift and after . ASK where in his testing of the unit before and after shift (for distance accuracy) did he shoot off a mirror ?? He didn't and they know that they cant use it.

PointerCone
12-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Could've been the last BIG Can/Am meet. Can't say for sure though.

I can confirm the NYSP have used this tactic in my area...usually a marked Dodge Charger doing the targeting.

There's NO doubt its being used. Whether anyone has called em OUT on it is a whole other story. This area (shooting off mirrors) is ripe for litigation and appeal.

RedRocket
12-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Tried this again yesterday and got an error code. Maybe it's just the Truspeed.I'll take mine (v. LR) out for a shoot & see how it does on this car.

RedRocket
12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm going to try again. :D. Did I meet you in buffalo?So how 'bout it "doc"...did we meet in Bflo ???

Tried this again yesterday and got an error code. Maybe it's just the Truspeed.Nope,not a TS issue.Used mine yesterday & didn't have any problems.

upstatedoc
12-19-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm going to try again. :D. Did I meet you in buffalo?So how 'bout it "doc"...did we meet in Bflo ???

Tried this again yesterday and got an error code. Maybe it's just the Truspeed.Nope,not a TS issue.Used mine yesterday & didn't have any problems.

Think so, you drove that baddass **********,don't think you had jammers at the time?

RedRocket
12-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Think so, you drove that baddass **********,don't think you had jammers at the time?Yeah,that sounds like me early on,then I bought the HP-905s at first try.My bad,I just can't put a face on you or your car...I've tested so many the last few years I just can't single you out.

We're not that far apart,only a couple hour drive between us.