PDA

View Full Version : For all you Focus Haters...Mustage GT VS a Focus

Ford_Focus_05
04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I love my Focus...not quite as afst but It will get there eventually!
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/0/E3E536F3-FFE0-40CF-899B-81233C1F5F19.htm

amoney
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/0/E3E536F3-FFE0-40CF-899B-81233C1F5F19.htm

Oh man that has to hurt a mans pride. Too funny.

Rottman
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
You know Ford, I use to have an 01 Cobra. I about traded it for an 03 vert. (supercharged) but you guess it the wife said no. Looking back I see it wasn't going to matter. :evil: Part of the reason I didn't it the tag was $34K and it pissed me off that despite that much money little rice burners could easily be set up to be Cobras. So I took a pass. :(

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 03:33 PM
little rice burners could easily be set up to be Cobras. So I took a pass.

I dont think you would find too many rice burners who would be able to take an 03 supercharged cobra, trust me. Its hard enough to take one that is not supercharged.

holein1
04-24-2006, 03:41 PM
it pissed me off that despite that much money little rice burners could easily be set up to be Cobras. So I took a pass. :(

I gotta disagree here dave! You could buy a 03' with a factory ford racing 2.8" pullet right from ford, after I got my cobra I later installed the ford 2.8" pulley, hypertech, intake headers exhaust and a few other thing! With just the addition of the pulley it was 455hp 460tq and would almost run 12 flat! To get a civic, integra, focus, or any other FWD import to run a 12 in the quarter is very very difficult and really won't be streetable due to the heavy clutch needed!

holein1
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM

No disrespect to your car but a 06' v6 accord is almost as fast as a stock GT! The focus is highly modded just think what would happen if the GT had the same mod's?

The GT is a low 14 second car he run's into a 03-04 cobra with light mods he gonna get a a$$ woopin!

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Ford should try to race a badass car, than he will see what we are talking about. It is good for the type of car you have though. It will beat others like it if you mod it right.

holein1
04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Ford should try to race a badass car, than he will see what we are talking about. It is good for the type of car you have though. It will beat others like it if you mod it right.

I've taken people for ride's that thought their car was fast and they about $hit when they get into a true 500+ horse car!

Here is the reality! http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F2A39716-76DF-42E1-83C9-098C3C85CC05.htm

amoney
04-24-2006, 04:10 PM

No disrespect to your car but a 06' v6 accord is almost as fast as a stock GT! The focus is highly modded just think what would happen if the GT had the same mod's?

The GT is a low 14 second car he run's into a 03-04 cobra with light mods he gonna get a a$$ woopin!

Unless there is a HUGE improvement/change in the 06' v6 Accord, my 03' v6 Accord is slow. I would not even think about trying to take a v8 Mustang.

holein1
04-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Unless there is a HUGE improvement/change in the 06' v6 Accord, my 03' v6 Accord is slow. I would not even think about trying to take a v8 Mustang.

The 240hp accord 6speed will almost hang with a 2000ish GT, gt is around 14.1-14.2 and the accord is mid 14.5-14.6 with basic bolt on's like intake and exhaust!

http://www.archive.org/download/GT_Mustang_vs._Accord_V6/GTstangV6honda.wmv

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I've taken people for ride's that thought their car was fast and they about $hit when they get into a true 500+ horse car!

That happened to me. I used to think my 75' nova was fast, when it had a 230hp 350 smallblock 4bolt main motor which was pulled out of a chevy truck. It was than when visiting my uncle he gave me a ride in his 72' nova with a 427 in it that I knew my car was slow. The 75' is fast now, it now has a 454 in it and well be getting it in a week. It was my very first car. :D Look at this funny video http://www.chevystreetperformance.com/video/454_Mud.wmv

holein1
04-24-2006, 04:43 PM

That happened to me. I used to think my 75' nova was fast, when it had a 230hp 350 smallblock 4bolt main motor which was pulled out of a chevy truck. It was than when visiting my uncle he gave me a ride in his 72' nova with a 427 in it that I knew my car was slow. The 75' is fast now, it now has a 454 in it and well be getting it in a week. It was my very first car. :D

A buddy of mine Matt has a 1972 camaro with a built 454 and it's very fast! Looks almost identical to the one in the pic, same color and everything except he has 17" torque thrust wheels and it's lowered! Funny thing is I have been in the car with him many times and no rices ever seem to want a part of him! Think it's the gear drive whine that scares em"!

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/591/18569su.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=18569su.jpg)

thestaton
04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
hehe, I thought my EVO with 333WHP was fast until I got a ride in a 600WHP 03 Cobra. That thing was pure nirvana the super charger hissing at you, and the world just flying by hehe.

the focus did a good job of keeping up but the driver said they only ran it to 100mph that seemed like it took a pretty long time to get to 100mph. At what speed does the focus top out?

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
A buddy of mine Matt has a 1972 camaro with a built 454 and it's very fast! Looks almost identical to the one in the pic, same color and everything except he has 17" torque thrust wheels and it's lowered! Funny thing is I have been in the car with him many times and no rices ever seem to want a part of him! Think it's the gear drive whine that scares em"!

Im surprised. That 72' I was talking about, my uncle gave it to my brother and took out the 427 to drop a 383 stroker into. The 427 was tearing the frame out of shape it was so powerfull, had the hood rattling around and made the car look like a beater, people were surprised to see that thing take off, my uncle had people laugh at him and call it a piece of **** untill they saw it fly off the light. My brother says he always has people wanting to race him when he takes it out. Good thing my brother isnt as daring and more carefull than I am, I would probably be in jail by now.

holein1
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
hehe, I thought my EVO with 333WHP was fast until I got a ride in a 600WHP 03 Cobra. That thing was pure nirvana the super charger hissing at you, and the world just flying by hehe.

Got any idea of the mods? If he's running the stock Eaton blower he must have added alcohol injection! gotta love that blower whine

Im surprised. That 72' I was talking about, my uncle gave it to my brother and took out the 427 to drop a 383 stroker into. The 427 was tearing the frame out of shape it was so powerfull. My brother says he always has people wanting to race him when he takes it out. Good thing my brother isnt as daring and more carefull than I am, I would probably be in jail by now.

Yea 427's nasty COOL VID! :P

Rottman
04-24-2006, 06:00 PM
it pissed me off that despite that much money little rice burners could easily be set up to be Cobras. So I took a pass. :(

I gotta disagree here dave! You could buy a 03' with a factory ford racing 2.8" pullet right from ford, after I got my cobra I later installed the ford 2.8" pulley, hypertech, intake headers exhaust and a few other thing! With just the addition of the pulley it was 455hp 460tq and would almost run 12 flat! To get a civic, integra, focus, or any other FWD import to run a 12 in the quarter is very very difficult and really won't be streetable due to the heavy clutch needed! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am glad I was wrong Hole. I still would love to have one. :( Of course I would love to have a good wife right now.

TeamQuack
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
most rice rockets can take off on high-end cars mostly because they are lighter with the little power they pack but when those higher end cars, esp. supercharged hit 3rd gear and above things start looking grim for them. they are just more quick burst type of cars but can't hang on the top end.

my friends 03 evo, with blowout valvue, titainum exhaust, honeycomb intake, and a few other goodies i can't think of right now got taken by a '05 maxima. i mean he took off on the maxima but when the max hit 6 gear at 120, my boys evo simply just could not pass him. and evo's pack a punch :idea:

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Rice rockets lack torque.

Rottman
04-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Rice rockets lack torque. Good point, I didn't think about that. But you know most people don't care and just care about 0-60 times.

thestaton
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
in my video I posted you can see my roommates turbo'd b16. It was his first time at the track with his new 2step ECU and his snow tires hehe but with some slicks on the front I think he can pull some high 12's.

his car right now on 10PSI is a freakin beast from a roll, those civic hatches are so light. however, he's having a hard time getting off the line at the strip because of the lack of torque :)

Rottman
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Just as Z said.

AirMoore
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
A Slowstang vs Ford Focus... its one of those "blind leading the blind'.

I havent seen the video.. and I dont think anyone is hating on the Ford Focus line of cars persay... but they just aren't really a performance machine, however... I always love to see a slowstang smoked, I hope thats what happened here.

Rottman
04-24-2006, 07:56 PM
My question is why would FORD do that? You want to make one of your best sellers look bad?

Ford_Focus_05
04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Hole...I can do much better than that Focus in the Vid...The V8 Focus...trubo kit...intake...Headers...Exhaust...NOS...6 Gear Tranny...Who wants to step up to the plate... thats the plans I have for my Focus when I start making some Real money! Of cousre I also would add 2 stress bars...its has to be a RWD and 4 disk brakes...with larger calipers...no sense in getting a bigger engine when you cant stop...

Hole with that on my car who can stop me...my HP:weight ratio is a BIG factor still!!

I bet I could take on a supercharged vette then!!

You ask why not just buy a vette then wit ha supercharger...well for the hell of it!

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 09:23 PM

Most vette owners who have their LS1 supercharged are probably pushing around 500hp with a safe amount of boost. A ZO6(LS6) can get close to 600hp with a supercharger and hedders while running a safe amount of boost. Keep in mind that they probably have the other simple bolt ons which give them more hp than the supercharger and hedders alone. If you can beat a potential high 10's-11sec car than you probably can beat a supercharged vette.[/quote]

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I have seen some videos of a few 11 and 12 sec focuses but I dont know what mods they did.

Ford_Focus_05
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Well they have a V8 I have a V8 so its really evenly mtached

ZO6Vette
04-24-2006, 10:16 PM

You have a v8 focus? Did you do a conversion?

TeamQuack
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM

is that baby a gass guzzler or what?

when u mod your car that way, make sure you have another one that you use for daily driving as after you do those mods you want to keep your baby just resting for the real time, don't wanna blow your engine just doing daily driving.

now NOS, get WET :twisted:

Ford_Focus_05
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
HAHA no not yet I meant that in a future since and was making a point about the V8

You say a corvette with mods can beat a focus with mods...yes this is true

BUT if the focus has a V8 which I something I PLAN on doing in the near future then I can mod to BEAT a vette with mods or not...

The V8 you can put in to a focus is not as big but the HP:Weight ratio makes up for that!!

Quack I know what you mean...I plan on it..but I aalso plan on getting a computer that I can shut off most of the extras like the turbo and what not so I will be running pretty much stock except it will have the normal mods exauhst intake headers...those type of norms...but the boast and NOS will be shut down...I also built in to the computer will be a flasher so I can change my ecu to different set programs...

I have a pretty huge Idea of what I want to do...when it gets done it will be nuts!!!

Rottman
04-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I don't want to insult Ford or Z because you guys are both great. But I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes Ford may be able to hang with or beat a vette, but a vette is a vette. Kind of like comparing a blonde to a brunette, just can't be done.

holein1
04-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Hole...I can do much better than that Focus in the Vid...The V8 Focus...trubo kit...intake...Headers...Exhaust...NOS...6 Gear Tranny...Who wants to step up to the plate... thats the plans I have for my Focus when I start making some Real money! Of cousre I also would add 2 stress bars...its has to be a RWD and 4 disk brakes...with larger calipers...no sense in getting a bigger engine when you cant stop...

Hole with that on my car who can stop me...my HP:weight ratio is a BIG factor still!!

You ask why not just buy a vette then wit ha supercharger...well for the hell of it!

Do you have any idea of how much fabrication time and money went into that car, let's be real it ain't happening that thing's one of a kind! If you wanted to go with a v8 you should have gotten a v8 from the start.

Focus' aren't exactly light, most v8 muscle cars only weigh a few hundred lbs more and can accept much larger tire's for better traction!

in my video I posted you can see my roommates turbo'd b16. It was his first time at the track with his new 2step ECU and his snow tires hehe but with some slicks on the front I think he can pull some high 12's.

his car right now on 10PSI is a freakin beast from a roll, those civic hatches are so light. however, he's having a hard time getting off the line at the strip because of the lack of torque :)

Yes some are fast but for the most part they lack traction, gearing is so so at best and while some give very impressive hp numbers the tq is usually half that! TQ is what count's!!

holein1
04-25-2006, 07:54 AM
most rice rockets can take off on high-end cars mostly because they are lighter with the little power they pack but when those higher end cars, esp. supercharged hit 3rd gear and above things start looking grim for them. they are just more quick burst type of cars but can't hang on the top end.

my friends 03 evo, with blowout valvue, titainum exhaust, honeycomb intake, and a few other goodies i can't think of right now got taken by a '05 maxima. i mean he took off on the maxima but when the max hit 6 gear at 120, my boys evo simply just could not pass him. and evo's pack a punch :idea:

AWD 4 banger's with big power are quick off the line FWD's suck!

Rottman
04-25-2006, 07:59 AM
If you wanted to go with a v8 you should have gotten a v8 from the start.!! Oh did I learn that lesson all to well. Bought a V6 mustang thinking I wouldn't care. :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: All the money spent, to just trade it. I am so dumb.

Ford_Focus_05
04-25-2006, 08:19 AM
OH I know what you mean Hole and this is some that has been done to many focuses..and there really isnt that much fabrication since you can buy the package from Ford Racing...and it not a bad deal either...
And about traction your do convert the focus to a RWD with the V8 agreed FWD does suck!!

Dave I know what you mean...a vette is a vette and will always be a vette...But if you were browsing vids and saw that a focus beat a vette now wouldnt that make you laugh!!

Rottman
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Ford if I was the owner of the vette it would make me cry, but if not as I never will be :( , I would laugh my ****in a$$ off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That video makes me miss my Cobra. :cry: I remember taking Rex to the vet one time in it.... :lol: :lol: That was fun.... :? Not. He wouldn' fit up front so I put him in the back, well he tried to come up to see me through the seats and got stuck.....I had my 5 year old with me (kiley) she was laughing so hard she had tears rolling down her eyes. One of those priceless momements with Rex. :D :cry: :cry: :cry:

holein1
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
OH I know what you mean Hole and this is some that has been done to many focuses..and there really isnt that much fabrication since you can buy the package from Ford Racing...and it not a bad deal either...
And about traction your do convert the focus to a RWD with the V8 agreed FWD does suck!!

Converting to RWD removing and installing new engine and tranny, this isn't a little weekend project. Buy the time you buy it, ship it, pay for install your looking at around $20,000.

Rottman
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Converting to RWD removing and installing new engine and tranny, this isn't a little weekend project. Buy the time you buy it, ship it, pay for install your looking at around $20,000. Some people have more money than brains Hole. I have a bunch of them on my case load.

edweird
04-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Focus' aren't exactly light, most v8 muscle cars only weigh a few hundred lbs more and can accept much larger tire's for better traction!

A 4 cyl Focus has about a 1000 lbs. advantage over a V8 Mustang (95-04)
Figure 2700 vs. 3700 pounds as an approximation.

So when you look at 260 HP GT having 14.23 lbs. for each horse power (using 3700) and a turbo Focus with something like 220 HP to carry it's weight, would be a 12.27 lbs. to HP ratio (using 2700) So a smaller car with less horsepower can still have a better HP to weight ratio.

Using a V8 instead of a turbo is an easy way to get more HP into a Focus, but you also lose some of the weight advantage compared to the added weight of a turbo and intercooler which is less.

Your comment about tires and traction is true, and also the way weight shifts back during accelleration is another thing that favors RWD cars over FWD. It works against FWD cars who need traction at the front.

One of the nice things about newer Corvettes is their weight is typically a few hundred pounds over 3000, which is really good for a V8 car.

I've researched the turbo kits for my SVT Focus (my daily driver), and figured out how much power I'd need to have a similar HP/weight ratio as my SVT Cobras. I'm leaning towards leaving my Focus as is, and if I get tired of it, putting the money towards it's replacement. I can't see how you'd be able to get your money back out of the modifications.

Ed

Rottman
04-25-2006, 09:32 AM
What year is your Cobra in your aviator Ed? Is it a track Cobra, I forget the name specifically. I mean no A/C etc. COBRA R?

edweird
04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
The one in my avatar is a 2000 R model. No AC, no radio, no backseat, 5.4 DOHC, 6 speed. About 3550 pounds.

My other one is a 2001 convertible. About 3800 pounds :(

Ed

Rottman
04-25-2006, 09:48 AM
The one in my avatar is a 2000 R model. No AC, no radio, no backseat, 5.4 DOHC, 6 speed. About 3550 pounds.

My other one is a 2001 convertible. About 3800 pounds :(

Ed That's what I thought. WOW, what a rare ****in car. Is it really fast? How do you afford all those toys? You must be single.

crazyVOLVOrob
04-25-2006, 09:53 AM
It's amazing what turbos can do! 8)

TeamQuack
04-25-2006, 11:17 AM

AWD 4 banger's with big power are quick off the line FWD's suck!

if thats true why are people with the "AWD 4 Banger's" getting mod's to turn their car into 2 wheel drive???? BECAUSE THEY GO FASTER ON THE 1/4. YES MY FRIEND WITH THE EVO HAS DONE IT AND ITS PROVEN, LOOK IT UP :shock: :P

Rottman
04-25-2006, 11:46 AM
It's amazing what turbos can do! 8) Why are people so against using Turbos? I mean I know they do on the smaller cars, but mustangs, vettes and trucks it seems they use more blowers.

f_399
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
my FWD rules!!!

kidding

my ideal car is a manual trans with adjustable Awd (ohhh suv? hehe)

Rottman
04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
You should drive a Chevy Impala for a police car, trying to catch another car.... :lol: :lol: :lol: no wonder we have wrecked so many.

Ford_Focus_05
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Those Impalas suck and all police officers HATE them and I mean HATE them...they are sooooooooo sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

it rather embarrassing

Rottman
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Those Impalas suck and all police officers HATE them and I mean HATE them...they are sooooooooo sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

it rather embarrassing Not to mention when you punch it they pull hard to the right.

crazyVOLVOrob
04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
It's amazing what turbos can do! 8) Why are people so against using Turbos? I mean I know they do on the smaller cars, but mustangs, vettes and trucks it seems they use more blowers.I love turbos! My volvo is turbocharged and in the next year it is going under the knife to go from 200hp & 212ft-lbs to around 245hp and 280ft-lbs

supercharging is something i don't like for 6cyc and under.

Rottman
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
supercharging is something i don't like for 6cyc and under. Is it to hard on the motor?

f_399
04-25-2006, 12:43 PM
why turbo when you can just go Vvvvvvvvvv TttttttttEeeeeeeeCccccccccc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AirMoore
04-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Well dave there are a few reasons why often times smaller engine cars will have turbos well larger engine cars will have Blowers:

Two of the biggest reasons is smaller cars (4cyl) for example Rev extremely high [when comparing to something like V8]. And since there is a thing call turbo-lag(spool time), it wouldnt make much sense to put turbos on large engines, because by the time your turbo has finally spooled up to full power- (even before) your right into shifting to next gear.

So it makes sense on smaller engines that rev higher... to have a device that takes a second or to to spool-up to full power... because by the time the turbo is spooled up all the way to 'full boost' on a 4cyl, often times you still have a 2-3... even 4thousand RPMS left to work with (depeding on turbo size/spool time).

On a V8 you throw on a supercharger... real ones belt-driven with the huge blowers, even though the supercharger also pumps more air in (in direct correlation with RPM, just like a turbo), there is no lag what-so-ever, because once the crank moves... the blower starts working...

WHICH brings us to "the biggey":

Which is... smaller (4cyl) engines (since they normally rev higher) are very very underpowered on lower RPM ranges, shift-lag is killer on these cars, so the turbos can take (essentially free) power from the exhaust to spool up... whereas monster V8's that are producing staggering amounts of power down low... they can afford a blower to take power right of their crank in the beggining because they produce staggering amounts of power wether you are at 2,400RPM or 4,200RPM, on a 4CYL taking the power off the crank would create shift lag, and stall cars like it was its job.

There you have it buddy.

Rottman
04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks so much money, it made perfect sense when you explained it. 8)

ZO6Vette
04-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Ford if I was the owner of the vette it would make me cry, but if not as I never will be , I would laugh my ****in a$$ off!!!

And I would laugh my ****in a$$ off at how much money and time they had to spend into mods and basically recreating their car to do so, its not really a focus when your taking nearly everyything out and putting all different stuff in........so there! :lol: :lol:

Rottman
04-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Ford if I was the owner of the vette it would make me cry, but if not as I never will be , I would laugh my ****in a$$ off!!!

And I would laugh my ****in a$$ off at how much money and time they had to spend into mods and basically recreating their car to do so, its not really a focus when your taking nearly everyything out and putting all different stuff in........so there! :lol: :lol: Good point.

AirMoore
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM

???????? What are you talking about Dave.

AirMoore
04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't want to insult Ford or Z because you guys are both great. But I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes Ford may be able to hang with or beat a vette, but a vette is a vette. Kind of like comparing a blonde to a brunette, just can't be done.

Ford GT.

Now a Ford focus vs. Vette... I agree you cant compare, but I know a guy around here whom owns a GT and have seen a GT in person... they can take off.

Rottman
04-25-2006, 08:40 PM

???????? What are you talking about Dave. Why smaller motors use turbos and V8s use blowers etc.

amoney
04-25-2006, 08:46 PM

It wasn't me. :lol:

Rottman
04-25-2006, 08:48 PM

It wasn't me. :lol: Sorry, I meant AIR, trying to work while I surf the net.... :oops: :lol: :lol: