Wow, lots of discussion around the STi here lately! I have the A3M8, which I have only used for about a week or so now, but have done a fair bit of driving in that week. In comparison to the RX65, which I used prior for a little over a year:
- STi seems to have resolved low strength alerts on RX65. Some alerts that used to be strength 4 on RX65 are now 7-8 on STi.
- STi has improved filtering. I thought the RX65 was pretty darn good, but the STi is even better. To the best of my knowledge, it has yet to miss a real threat (although I have to take this one on a little faith).
- STi has improved detection, especially Ka. Went by a multanova van today, and I received about double the warning distance that the RX65 gave me at about twice the strength (see first point).
- STi automute is better than the RX65, gets much quieter much faster.
- The auto brightness feature is great (although I wish the buttons wouldn't necessarily light up when it's dark around - it does make stealth harder. Nothing electrical tape won't fix I suppose when in RD restricted places, although I'm sure a code upgrade would also fix that, but with Bel's customer service/fee what are the chances of me actually getting it..).
- My laser tester seems to indicate equally crappy laser detection as the RX65, but I've yet to put it up against a real trap. GoL tests would seem to confirm still poor laser detection (time to reverse engineer the V1 guys...! :wink: ).
All in all, I am impressed, but they certainly left room for improvement in their next model.