Thread: Bel 850STi

Newcomer

Default Bel 850STi

I just purchased one of these on ebay for what I conder a pretty good price. I wanted to start at a lower price model till I could get enough money saved up to get a really good one. In the meantime, this unit comes without a manual. I looked on Bel's websit and they do not carry PDF manuals for it. I can't even find out when they stopped making them.

Regardless of that, I am looking for a manual for it and was wondering if anyone has a PDF manual for it?

Also, are there any tests of this unit online someplace? I haven't been able to find any as of yet.

Eventually I am considering a STi Driver. It sounds like a killer unit. I would also end up using it on my motorcycle if it is appropriate for it. I need to rtead the manual on it.

Tim

Power User

I have a old Vector 985, and that is consider old, yours is even 2 generations further back, does it even have SUperwide Ka band detection, not just Wide Ka band. Hope you did not pay alot for it.

Yoda of Radar

The 850 STI dates back to around 1997-1998.

You could look up on the Internet Archive on Beltronics .com for it. www.web.archive.org IIRC.

Radar Fanatic

850i not a very good radar detector. K and Ka band detection range is much shorter than the 985, not even close. The 850 is also prone to falsing on Ka band even in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic around.

IMHO, I would not buy any RD from ebay. You just don't know for sure what you're getting.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Better safe then sorry though.

GTO_04

Newcomer

This is the description for the item:

Features:

Proven Undetectable with Shadow Technology
    Total Tracking Laser (TTL)
    Text Messages for X, K, and Super Wideband Ka Radar, Laser, and SWS
    Memory Retention for preferred Volume, Dark, Audio, and City settings Tutorial mode allows for complete understanding of all audio/visual alerts
    Text display/bar graph communicates Radar Signal Strength, confirms the presence of Laser and SWS alerts
    Selectable Features:

Safety Warning System (SWS): Bel 850STI detects encoded signals from SWS transmitters and provides 60 text messages for: Highway Construction/ Maintenance, Highway Hazard Zones, Weather RElated Hazards, Travel/ Convenience Information and Emergency/ Slow Moving Vehicles.
    Safety Warning System with Digital Voice (on/off)
    Radar/ Laser Digital Voice Prompts (on/off)

Is this accurate? I am not certain, but I think for the time that this was probably a pretty good unit. It only cost $50 so I don't think it is bad for the price. I will figure out how it works by punching the buttons but a review on this unit would be noce, although I don't hold out much hope for that

As I said, it was only a temporary buy until I can get the money to buy a really nice one. I wasn't prepared to pay much more than that right now.

Tim

Radar Fanatic

IMHO $50 is too much to pay for an RD that old and with such short range.
    The BEL 795 from Radio Shack would have been a better buy.

Well, maybe you got lucky and got a ringer. Post back and let us know how it works. I had an 850 and lent it to my dad, who doesn't drive very fast, and even he complained about show short the range was LOL! I traded the 850 on a 980 which was much much better. As far as older BELs, 970, 980, 985 are very good.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    IMHO $50 is too much to pay for an RD that old and with such short range.
    The BEL 795 from Radio Shack would have been a better buy.

Well, maybe you got lucky and got a ringer. Post back and let us know how it works. I had an 850 and lent it to my dad, who doesn't drive very fast, and even he complained about show short the range was LOL! I traded the 850 on a 980 which was much much better. As far as older BELs, 970, 980, 985 are very good.GTO_04
    The 850STi was a spinoff of the 855/845STi technology which did provide 2nd notch to the Valentine back around the late 90s.

Carl Forbs 98 / C&D 97
    Bel 855Sti
    X - 1.70miles / 0.70miles
    K - 1.60miles / 0.85miles
    Ka -2.60miles / 0.90miles

Valentine
    X - 3.00miles / 1.90miles
    K - 2.30miles / 1.50miles
    Ka- 2.60miles / 1.60miles

Newcomer

Just a quick update. I did receive my unit yesterday. Turned it on and it appears to work, but I only have a real short ride both to and from work. It will take a little time before I will be able to check it out for functionality.

Tim