Thread: Bel 995 vs. 895

Newcomer

Default Bel 995 vs. 895

I am looking at getting a radar detector, I saw that the 995 and the 895 are pretty much just the same, as far as range and everything. Is the 895 a good detector or is it worth spending 70 more and getting a 995?

I live in North Eastern Ohio, and I was talking to one of my friends at school and his dad is a local cop and he said that they no longer use laser because they did not like it, so they are using strictly radar. So the only cops I dont know about is the State Boys.

-Rob

Advanced Member

The 995 has a bit more features than the 895 it might be worth the extra $70 but not really.

What I would do is buy the BEL 895 for radar and put the $70 towards the laser jammer fund...Ohio State police LOVE to use laser so you will need a jammer if you plan on speeding on the interstates of Ohio

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

995 has tech mode. I would pay extra for that but not everybody else would. Can't go wrong with either one.

I would not be surprised if POP was used by OSP in the future. Right now they seem to be in love with X band of all things! Both models have POP IIRC.

GTO_04

Newcomer

what is the tech mode?

I think i will probabaly go with the 895, is radio shack the only place i can pick this up at?

Yoda of Radar

Tech mode displays the exact (well close enough) frequency of what you are detecting

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Tech mode displays the exact (well close enough) frequency of what you are detecting
    Is that a hand feature to have? It is probably nice to know what they are using.

Yoda of Radar

It's kinda fun, I like it - handy to learn your local off-band falses. But if the RD is going off you still should look out at what is around you.

Newcomer

the 895 is owned exclusivly by radio shack, but bel also sells the same unit under the 955 name.