Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Photo radar in Calgary, Alberta Canada

It seems like all the time when I drive by photo radar vans on the freeway or on busy streets that my Bel 985 picks it up just before I pass the stupid radar van. I know from recognizing the vans that its photo radar but is there any way that I can improve the detection range of the Ka radar signals? The photo van usually parks parallel with the flow of traffic and although I don't generally speed too much over the limit I still would like an early warning if there is hidden radar.

Is there something about photo radar units that make them so hard to detect? My radar certainly doesn't have ANY issues picking up RCMP Ka band radar. Just the other day I drove to Edmonton and my radar picked up every LEO that was on the highway.

Suggestions as to how or why my detector has trouble picking up the stupid photo guys?

Thanks

Advanced Member

I've driven in Calgary with my RX65 and did manage to pick up the van up with a continous low K alert for maybe just over half a klik ahead of the van. As I recall the signal didnt increase much as I approached the van. Maybe the threshold of sensitivity of you RD doesnt quite pick it up

It's very easy to spot I was a bit confused thinking it was a false alert from the industrial complex.

When do they actually measure your speed? As you pass, just ahead or behind?

Yoda of Radar

You can try putting the detector vertically, ie like || instead of = for the Multanovas. This may or may not increase the range depending on how they set them up though.

Good Citizen

Default Photo Radar in Calgary

They clock your speed AFTER you pass the van hence why its a ***** to pick up the signal. The thing is that the reflectivity of the signal off cars ahead of you isn't great either. I have tried this test with a Bel 985 and Bel Vector LR as well as a bel 830 and bel 870 and bel 846i

Its almost as if they purposely set the system up to be ultra low powered radar. Occasionally I'll get a warning like 200meters prior to passing IF the guy in front is getting a photo ticket (flash goes off).

I know my 985 isn't messed up b/c I purchased it brand new and its worked great against LEO's on the highway.

The only thing that blows about the unit is the laser sensitivity. Doesn't seem like Calgary cops make detection easy as I was hit yesterday at less than 400m. Lucky I was 10 UNDER the limit!

Yoda of Radar

Again try rotating the detector 90 degrees. The Multanovas are usually vertically polarized instead of circularlly like standard radar, and horizontally like your detector (as you can clearly see)

Good Citizen

Default vertical mount detector

is there a creative way on mounting a detector vertically into a honda civic?

I'm surprised that changing the angle would make a difference...

Experienced

I have an STI that picks up photo radar in Calgary very well, at times about 2 - 3 times the distance of the RX65 I previously used. I'd recommend an upgrade if you are worried about the Multanovas. It' still not as good of detection as regular radar (namely because it's lower power and pointed away from you), but it is certainly enough!

Good Citizen

Default photo radar sensitivity

Is the STi that much better for detection? I mean seriously its multinova radar that constantly transmits.....

I would prefer to keep the detector horizontally mounted and I don't quite have the funds to buy a new STi. I would hate to not use my barely used 985.

thanks

Professional

I dont think anyone has done a comparison between the Bel RX65/X50 versus the new Bel STi against the Multanovas, but someone else said the STi was about the same as the X50 in warning distance (besides being invisible to RDD)...

Speed Demon

We have quite a lot of Multanova's over here that I've recently been running into with my V1 and I'm pretty sure that the STi is a level above it. So it wouldn't suprise me if it was better than the X50/RX65.

I've also noticed that the V1's sensitivity seems to fall off dramatically as you go off axis with the Stalker Duals that we have. I keep getting suprised at T intersections where the cop is going across the top and the V1 is really not giving that much warning. I wonder if the shape of the horn has been tuned for range at the expense of lateral sensitivity? The Multanova's of course fire at an angle across the road.