Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STI Comparison

Advanced Member

Default STI Comparison

Well I finally got my STI.
    Happy is absolutely right Roy is amazing. Anyone that does not buy from Roy is nuts IMO.

The first thing that impressed me is the STI is built like a tank. SOLID.
    I immediately lost the case to my wife……perfect for make up or a sewing kit etc. :roll:

I as able to compare the STI against my V1 in New York State.
    God bless those Troopers for providing lots of testing scenarios. :wink:

The STI is a little less “Chatty” than the V1, but I found the V1 alerted ahead of the STI every time for real alerts, but not by that much. I found reception of K Band is very good on the STI.
    So all in all it is a very good RD, and as I need Spectre invisibility worth the money for me.

It’s no V1 but the V1 is no STI.

I have to admit I miss the arrows, and will continue to use my V1 as my first line of defense in the USA.

Driving home in Ontario after crossing the border I cannot describe the joy I felt passing that famous sign “Radar Warning Devices Prohibited “ and not having to look over my shoulder for OPP cars..

In closing, Wow does it ever got warm……..
    :shock:

Heres a photo of the STI compared to a Bel 985, V1, and PNI Traveller

Not bad for a guy who lives where RDs are banned.........

Radar Fanatic

great review, nice pic

as of now... there is no detector out there that can replace my v1

Power User

nice job well i am still not convinced mine is working properly.

K band is not very good on mine...I think it might be time to return it

Speed Demon

Well here's a similar perspective but in reverse; looking at the V1 after using an STi.

The V1 feels a lot flimsier, I can understand how someone could imagine the case is plastic and not Mg. Man it looks dorky, made worse probably because the face angles away from drivers of right hand cars, but it's full of odd angles and ridges and that window mount...! Could a window mount be made in a more shambolic fashion that didn't come with hooks and length of chain? Definitely more Heath Robinson than Bang and Olufsen. The curly cord is a ***** to get out because the tab on the connector is covered up... no doubt it'll get easier with practise.

Programming went a lot smoother than I expected from reading on here. So mine's set up for local conditions, just Ka and Laser with POP off. It falsed on laser sitting in the driveway, before I'd even stuck it on the windshield, DVD player display... ?

Drove away and had first encounter sitting at a traffic light controlled crossroad in the burbs. LEO comes from the left running Ka, Stalker constant on, V1 alerts as soon as he comes into view, there is no prior warning, poor off axis detection (I'd eat my hat if the STI wouldn't have murdered the V1 here). LEO turns and I follow him to the next set of lights, with the V1 blaring the whole way, no automute and that squitty little button is as far away as possible and facing away from me. Up to the next lights he's turning right I go left and the arrows go front side rear just like they oughta

Driving away from him and the V1 alerts on and on gradually breaking down to the odd blert as we move apart. At least that's what I assume from the arrows and suchlike. What if he's turned off axis again or switched off and there's a cruiser coming up behind running instant on? The arrows could have lulled me into a false sense of security with the next blert translating to a ticket. Without visual confirmation you're taking a chance.

Early days yet but the dealer, who's a V1 fan, reckoned the STi had better front Ka detection but that the V1 was better from the rear. That would fit with my brief introduction.

Yoda of Radar

I have an old Beogram B&O turntable here, I love the look of it... would be great if some manufacturer produced an RD that actually looked good...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I have an old Beogram B&O turntable here, I love the look of it... would be great if some manufacturer produced an RD that actually looked good...
    Doesn't the VW Beetle have a small flower vase on the dash? Maybe we could have a detector in the shape of a vase with a small bunch of flowers in it? The radar horns concealed in the flower heads? Could go down big with the ladies and bring true 360 degree coverage. Shame Bel doesn't have a suggestion box.

I can tolerate anonymous like the STI, stupid really grates. I imagine the STi being the RD of choice of Darth Vader, black, military spec, stealthy whereas the V1's got to be Jar Jar Binks (?)

Yoda of Radar

Ya know what, I actually see the resemblance

The STI isn't bad in looks. I like the use of Gill Sans typeface on it, makes it look classy :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed
    Doesn't the VW Beetle have a small flower vase on the dash? Maybe we could have a detector in the shape of a vase with a small bunch of flowers in it? The radar horns concealed in the flower heads? Could go down big with the ladies and bring true 360 degree coverage. Shame Bel doesn't have a suggestion box.
    Yeah like I am going to drive with flowers on the dash

That weird PNI thing that looks like one of the rotors off an old Mazda engine maybe

Speed Demon

I want a speechbubble for Jar Jar... " 8 Bogeys, every band, all arrows, full scale alert!!! Maaan I'm screwed. Oh... sheesh, it's just the grocery store"

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Yeah like I am going to drive with flowers on the dash

That weird PNI thing that looks like one of the rotors off an old Mazda engine maybe
    Yeah I suppose flowers on the dash of a Saab... would definitely bring in to question your masculinity. So specially adapted for your conditions (and stolen from an earlier thread) we have the John Holmes SE model molded in life like flesh tones and mounted perpendickularly.