Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird STI False

Yoda of Radar

Default Weird STI False

Well I had my first Ka false today. A weird one at that.

I was just leaving the parking lot with STI turned on (and sitting on the passenger seat). It starts giving a Ka alert of all things. This alert seemed to be an instant-on scenario, going from very high on the scale to maybe 1-2 strength. It ramped up, it ramped down in random fashion making me think an officer was instant-on-ing everything that passed. Anyway I assumed it was a check at the stop signs, but no, and even as I made my way to the highway it continued it's ramping up and sloping down, never stopping completely.

Finally after going maybe 7-8 kilometres on the highway I powered it down using the PWR button, and turned it back on. Not another alert save for a usual K false where I expected it.

Anyway I'm going to call Bel at 1, they better have someone near a phone this time...

Old Timer

let us know how it goes

Power User

Sounds like a goofed powered up. Anything wiered like that I just go ahead and power cycle the unit. If it continues then something is in the area or the unit is really screwed up. You alluded to that you used the power button to power cycle the unit. I assume you did the same when you initially turned the unit on as well, not with starting up the car.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Sounds like a goofed powered up. Anything wiered like that I just go ahead and power cycle the unit. If it continues then something is in the area or the unit is really screwed up. You alluded to that you used the power button to power cycle the unit. I assume you did the same when you initially turned the unit on as well, not with starting up the car.
    When starting I start the car, get moving a bit and after say 30-45 seconds after I stick the plug in the socket, and when stopping I cut the key and pull the plug out. Generally I don't bother with PWR button because it takes about 2-3 seconds of holding it in to turn it off, either for a safety reason (inadvertent) or perhaps the detector is actually performing some kind of internal cleanup operation?

ah it's 1:01 off I go

Yoda of Radar

Well the guy at Bel didn't know squat about what could be causing the error save for some f-up in the power-on calibration that time. Hmmm.

Settings on the unit BTW were PwrOnFST, POP ON, X/K/Ka ON, Highway mode.

Anyway at the moment I'll discount it as a fluke thing, though with the current police situation in my location a trusty RD is something I'd most definately require.

Power User

Default Re: Weird STI False

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Well I had my first Ka false today. A weird one at that.

I was just leaving the parking lot with STI turned on (and sitting on the passenger seat). It starts giving a Ka alert of all things. This alert seemed to be an instant-on scenario, going from very high on the scale to maybe 1-2 strength. It ramped up, it ramped down in random fashion making me think an officer was instant-on-ing everything that passed. Anyway I assumed it was a check at the stop signs, but no, and even as I made my way to the highway it continued it's ramping up and sloping down, never stopping completely.

Finally after going maybe 7-8 kilometres on the highway I powered it down using the PWR button, and turned it back on. Not another alert save for a usual K false where I expected it.

Anyway I'm going to call Bel at 1, they better have someone near a phone this time...
    That happened to me once too. I was in a grocery store parking lot. I got in my car turned the detector on and it started alerting Ka. I drove 3 miles about with it still alerting. I turned the detector off and on again it stopped alerting. It has only happened once so far.

Speed Demon

I was gonnna buy one but reading what happens to you guys , i think im gonna wait awhile, it seems that the quality isnt that good for the $ .

Newcomer

I have had one instance as well with my STi falsing on Ka. It constantly alerted me to Ka with about 5 bars and was remaining constant, not fluctuating as previously mentioned. I have only had this happen once. Just thought I would share.

Advanced Member

Would this be a symtom of it losing its benchmarks becasue of heating?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Would this be a symtom of it losing its benchmarks becasue of heating?
    Don't know. The car was left in my black car for about three hours and previous to that it had been turned on for about 10 minutes and stored inside the house. But, my car was parked conveniently under a tree on the sunny day so the interior temp when I got in was maybe 1-2 degrees above ambient no more. The STI was also put under the seat and as so was very nice and cool.