Newcomer

Default STi self shut down

Hey guys,

Ive had my XR STi now for about a month. Today it came out with the strangest alert and a long msg on the LED screen that i missed and then shut itself off for 5 seconds. It then started itself up again with all the usual beeps. Whats going on? I didnt recognise the sounds as being an "threat" warning and got a bit worried when it turned itself off-my only thought is that it was getting enough power? Hasnt done it since and have tried to re-create the situation to no avail....comments/suggestions ??

Speed Demon

Sounds like it lost power maybe. The manual mentions a loose power cord or a dirty lighter socket as a possible cause.

Power User

id say it was a low/high voltage alert

Newcomer

Default Sorted

Right, i managed to figure it out while comming home from work today.....It happens when i turn on the A/C.....i had a low voltage msg on the LED screen...so THERE WE GO!!

Not only does A/C rob me of Kw but now i cant use my new toy when i have to clear my window screen. Only happened in the RS libbo(have to try this in the WRXsti)-reckon i got dodgy grounding and the alt is on the way out....cheers all :wink:

Power User

wow, i never had this problem in my WRX and i was running some serious A/V equipment :?:

I think it may be time to check your alternator or replace your battery....sounds to me either the battery is not holding charge or the alternator is not running at 100%

I knew it was a low power alert when you said it shut off....get that stuff checked by an Auto Elec

Good Citizen

It is not uncommon for the 12 volt buses in a car to undershoot and/or overshoot when big loads such as your AC clutch are engaged or disengaged. Similar transients occur when you turn on/shut off other high current loads such as your headlights. This is common and should be of little concern as long as it is only a transient condition. If you are permanently high or low then you have a problem.

Same thing happened to me in a new C6 Corvette today when the AC kicked on right after I started the car.

Power User

Id still get the alternator and the battery load tested...like i said I never had a problem with my WRX...

Power User

Thats crazy. Somthing is goofy, start with simple stuff, check the power source for proper contact.

Just an interesting note. The voltage indicator. Just did a preemptive swap of a battery, after the fact I come to find out the battery was almost completely dry, no water wat so ever in this 3 year old OEM battery. The car prior never shown any symptoms of starting problems, it was only a matter of weeks before the car would end up dead in a parking lot. With the RD, the Bel still showed a perfect 12 volts from the batter (out of the car... if you have the car on with the alternator you get 13.9 volts or something like that, which is normal).

Yoda of Radar

Could have just topped up the water...

Newcomer

Right-it only happens in my 1991 RS libbo!! And not in the 02 WRX! Thank god. Dont really mind to much cos the RS has bigger issues to worry about (boost spikes, leaky exhaust...missing a speed sensor somewhere i think) rather than poor voltage across my acc!! :wink: Thanks all