Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Dissapointed with the RX 65

Anyone else dissapointed with an RX 65? After reading all the tests I thought it would give awesome range. Have yet to find that even with a constant radar source.

It never seems to do to a full display either. One last complaint if I am driving lets say north and a cop is coming toward me from east or west I hardly get any notice even on a constant signal. :roll:

Time to save for a V1.

Radar Fanatic

What mode are you using? From what I understand "highway" is most sensitive and "Auto" is best for around-town. It could be that you are encountering low-powered radar. If it's on Ka band then your alerts are going to be pretty short no matter what you have. Even with a V1, the king of sensitivity (to its benefit and detriment), I never get much more than a half-mile warning for constant-on Ka. That all depends a lot on terrain, though, and where I drive there are lots of hills and curves.

Can you give us numbers for the kind of warning you're getting? If it's like 100 feet then the unit might actually be broken. If it's a half mile, you're just experiencing the realities of modern radar technology.

Power User

yeah u will find that the cop has his radar on short range...Ive picked up a cp from 5 km away on a straight road..then ive picked one up only 500m on the same stretch..

Advanced Member

I don't expect to ever see 4.0mile range simply because i don't drive on long flat roads...i usually get .5mile range, with constant on

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar

Thanks guys. I guess I was expecting to much. After reading what you guys wrote I guess I was misinformed about how weak today's radar is.

Radar Fanatic

You're not the only one. When I started using radar detectors 3 or 4 years ago I was expecting a lot more. That's just physics, though. Once you know the limitations of a detector it can be an excellent tool. It's the folks who go on believing that they will always be warned miles ahead who get themselves in trouble. This is why the forum is so great!

Professional

Default history

History lesson here. I have owned radar detectors since the mid 1980's. With each new detector I bought, I expected so much more than the previous one. The problem was is that each radar signal is different. Some police radar units have their range adjusted...or the radar gun is not alligned straight down the road...bands are different..etc. With each new radar detector, you have to learn its limitations....while at the same time understanding that police radar around you is never constant!

Default Re: history

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    History lesson here. I have owned radar detectors since the mid 1980's. With each new detector I bought, I expected so much more than the previous one. The problem was is that each radar signal is different. Some police radar units have their range adjusted...or the radar gun is not alligned straight down the road...bands are different..etc. With each new radar detector, you have to learn its limitations....while at the same time understanding that police radar around you is never constant!

Thats correct, I had 2 RD's in my life, the first one a radar Cobra with the first lidar that I used until biginning of april of this yr, and I got a lot of full strength and weak signals and I took all of them seriously some of them saved me of a ticket and others were false alarms, but like he said all of them are difrent.

the only thing I can tell you is be allways allert and the RD is only a tool for you to avoid a tickets!

Yoda of Radar

So, compared to the RX65, was the Cobra a real piece of "mierda" or what?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Dissapointed with the RX 65

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    Anyone else dissapointed with an RX 65? After reading all the tests I thought it would give awesome range. Have yet to find that even with a constant radar source.

It never seems to do to a full display either. One last complaint if I am driving lets say north and a cop is coming toward me from east or west I hardly get any notice even on a constant signal. :roll:

Time to save for a V1.
    I was lucky anuff to be one of thr first to get my hands on one of the first Rx65,s and my testing on the 65 was short [very short.] but sweet but just like any other detector it was not perfect.