Radar Fanatic

Default California RX65 settings?

Hi! I'm kind of new to all of this so please do not give me a hard time for asking such newbie like questions please.

I bought an rx65 pro about 3 weeks ago and after driving it through town and up and down the local highway to work and back every day I have noticed that every cop in the area only uses KA band. I have not yet gotten one x or k band cop.

What is the chance that no cops in the area use K band and all cops use ka?

Today I altered the settings to:
    Fastbootup: On
    Speech: Off
    autoMute: On
    Display settings are normal.
    X band: Off
    K band: Off
    Ka band: USA
    Ku band: Off
    SWS: Off
    Pop: On

I have enjoyed the fact that today I have had no false warnings because K band is off (Just about every super market uses K band. Only one place I have found uses X.) and Ka has caught just about all cops I have seen so far.

I live in Northern California (Santa Rosa area) and is it just too risky and stupid to turn K band off? Also, do cops in cali use POP?

I'm thinking about turning Ka to Intl, that way I will not miss any cops, just in case, and I am thinking about turning POP off. When there is a POP alert does it say "POP" or how do I know it is even being used?

Thanks for bearing with my stupid questions.

Yoda of Radar

I don't live in Cali, but my suggestion would be turn back on K band ASAP (before you get hit with it), and live with the extra falses by supermarkets and such.

It is very possible that around you many of the LEO's use Ka band (its becoming more and more popular), however, with that said... K band (nationwide) is still to this day the most widely used radar band there is out there by law enforcement, so I would not advise leaving it off... especially since people in the list -below- have encountered it (which, again, is to be expected). http://radardetector.net/List-of-ban...e-U.S-589t.php

X-Band, thats a toss up, the best way to find that one out is to talk to people in your area (there may be a few on this board)... with that said I do not see X listed in the above link so I would bet 99% your safe from it, but I would still drive around with that on for a few months, just to be on the safe side before you go turning everything off.

MY suggestion would be don't worry about POP, you can turn that off... again see the above link.

Professional

Default Re: California RX65 settings?

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    Hi! I'm kind of new to all of this so please do not give me a hard time for asking such newbie like questions please.

I bought an rx65 pro about 3 weeks ago and after driving it through town and up and down the local highway to work and back every day I have noticed that every cop in the area only uses KA band. I have not yet gotten one x or k band cop.

What is the chance that no cops in the area use K band and all cops use ka?

Today I altered the settings to:
    Fastbootup: On
    Speech: Off
    autoMute: On
    Display settings are normal.
    X band: Off
    K band: Off
    Ka band: USA
    Ku band: Off
    SWS: Off
    Pop: On

I have enjoyed the fact that today I have had no false warnings because K band is off (Just about every super market uses K band. Only one place I have found uses X.) and Ka has caught just about all cops I have seen so far.

I live in Northern California (Santa Rosa area) and is it just too risky and stupid to turn K band off? Also, do cops in cali use POP?

I'm thinking about turning Ka to Intl, that way I will not miss any cops, just in case, and I am thinking about turning POP off. When there is a POP alert does it say "POP" or how do I know it is even being used?

Thanks for bearing with my stupid questions.
    Bunny,

First off welcome to the forums!

Now I live in Southern CA too and I think I can be of most help to you. Now I don't know the Santa Rosa area at all, but if it is anything like the rest of CA then listen up. Yes CHP uses KA exclusively. I myself haven't found any CHP using different. Some "Your Speed Is" signs use K band but not cops.

With your current settings everything is fine. POP is NOT a threat to CA since I have not heard or seen any such occurance on this site. Maybe in the big cities like LA and such they might but for small towns I don't think they do. If a POP alert is detected the display will flash the word POP and have a distinctive alert aside from other bands. POP can also false alot because if someone else has a cheap detector (Cobra aka Crapra) it will make it go off. I leave mine off, but check to make sure it isn't used in Santa Rosa. As for KA Intl (International) mode it means that it scans the entire KA band for frequencies used in say Europe. This actually may hurt you because when in this mode it takes your detector longer to scan the entire KA band potentially missing a real threat to the point that you decrease your warning and reaction time (when seconds count)

And what is your setting for LASER? While not a threat yet it could possibly be on its way. The Bel is the least likely ( of the other 2 detectors - X50 and V1) to detect as far as LASER is concerned but it beats nothing. The V1 is the best but realize that NO Radar Detector will save you from it and usually if you get a LASER alert it means you just won a free ticket that costs you $$$ :wink:

Any futher ?'s feel free to PM me at anytime.

Ace

Radar Fanatic

Thanks for the replies!

I had a feeling chp only used Ka band. I'm glad I could officially get that info now. Where I live is out in the middle of no were and the only cops I worry about are chp except 2 local cops and they both use Ka.

Laser I have on, but I am not to worried about it since I have never seen it used out here.

I'll leave pop on for a bit just to see what happens.

I was thinking about putting Ka on intl because some cops use Ka out of USA ranges in USA, so I think it would be safer, but the chance of that happening is extremely low I am sure.

Anyone know the difference in range for detection between USA and intl modes? I'll probably keep USA mode.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Radar Fanatic

Thanks for the replies!

I had a feeling chp only used Ka band. I'm glad I could officially get that info now.
    Don't ever trust the "official" info on which bands are used. Users on this and other forums simply repeat the same stuff the read elsewhere, without firsthand knowledge.

For years people have been claiming that only Ohio and New Jersey have X-band still in use, yet on a weekly basis we hear reports from outside of those two states of x-band encounters with cops.

I'd leave all bands on.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Thanks for the replies!

I had a feeling chp only used Ka band. I'm glad I could officially get that info now.
    Don't ever trust the "official" info on which bands are used. Users on this and other forums simply repeat the same stuff the read elsewhere, without firsthand knowledge.

For years people have been claiming that only Ohio and New Jersey have X-band still in use, yet on a weekly basis we hear reports from outside of those two states of x-band encounters with cops.

I'd leave all bands on.
    x2, I couldn't have said that better myself.

Radar Fanatic

Today while driving to work and back I saw more cops then I ever have on my daily route. Usually it is rare for me to see more then 1 cop if even 1 at all. Today each way I saw over 20. I had all bands on and every cop that my radar detected was Ka only. Looks like I am lucky in that situation.

If i am traveling on the freeway I put on all bands, but when in town I put Ka only. There are only 2 cops in the whole town, since the town I live in is so small, and both use Ka. I'm not worried about turning K band off because I am 100% sure that they use Ka. Now if a cop came in from out of town, or a new cop came in then that is a different story. Still, I'm not to worried.

i got hit with a Ka band today...
    guess where.. krispy kreme.. AHAHA

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sn0rky
    i got hit with a Ka band today...
    guess where.. krispy kreme.. AHAHA
    lol